Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I don't agree Murphy's goal was better than Rioli's, to suggest it wasn't an outstanding goal is a bit short sighted. Kicking a banana with a heavy, wet footy from the boundary is quality. Definitely better than Martin's or Butler's that's for sure

Agree mate. Rioli's WAS better but seriously, Murphy's was a great goal.
I think after years of non-success we've become very sensitive, in the same vein as Bulldogs supporters felt for 60-odd years!

This is why you need to see him play to know his value to the team. The basic stats say that he gets an "X" amount of possessions or an "X" amount of goals (which may not be a lot), but what he does in terms of pressure acts and how he facilitates for other team members to kick goals makes him valuable to the Richmond line-up. It is about the team at the end of the day, so I'd rather have someone like this in the side than someone who gets a lot of it, but is of little concern from an opposition point of view.

This is why you need to see him play to know his value to the team. The basic stats say that he gets an "X" amount of possessions or an "X" amount of goals (which may not be a lot), but what he does in terms of pressure acts and how he facilitates for other team members to kick goals makes him valuable to the Richmond line-up. It is about the team at the end of the day, so I'd rather have someone like this in the side than someone who gets a lot of it, but is of little concern from an opposition point of view.
I read that article as well.

He is just so important, along with Butler and Castagna, to us scoring and winning games.

Dusty, Cotch, Rance and Jack are all important to us winning games but those three are just as important.

Did anyone tag exceptional design into the link?

g6m0rhy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does that mean that Rioli's goal will not be considered for Goal of the Year?

Yep. Cannot be goal of the year.

Goal of the year is selected by picking the 3 best goal of the weeks and the highest amount of votes win.

As such, Riolis goal is not eligible for GOTY.

Who gives a s**t about GOTY
Rioli is/will be a matchwinner. Has that ability to turn a game with a few moments of brilliance
Who gives a s**t about GOTY
Rioli is/will be a matchwinner. Has that ability to turn a game with a few moments of brilliance
No argument with that...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back