Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Stir...
ViLvxcG.gif

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Just hope he can find enough ball, that has been a criticism of him before. Amazing with ball in hand and without the ball, just doesnt get it enough to impact for 4 quarters. Very similar criticisms to Cyril mind you.
He's like Sheds.
Doesn't often get 20+ but when ball in hand lookout.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Just hope he can find enough ball, that has been a criticism of him before. Amazing with ball in hand and without the ball, just doesnt get it enough to impact for 4 quarters. Very similar criticisms to Cyril mind you.
That can be a small forward positional factor. Players sometimes struggle for possies, especially with our manic pressure forward press. Let's wait until we see a few weeks with him up the ground. Wouldn't surprise me to see him start building into the 4-5 possies per quarter in that area of the ground. With the quality of them, and metres gained with the run....

yes, yes, yeeeeesssss.. delicious!!
(important to read that in Bruce's voice)

He is a tackling machine, might not be the inside mid but is definately going to hurt a lot of opposition teams.

Yes pressure is amazing. But he's an attacking weapon and loves contests. Most wingers aren't that good in contests, and Dan will win a heap. Then he's got the jets to run away and skills to hit targets. If he makes the transition I reckon he could be a genuine A grade star. Amazing pressure and then scorching attacking ability. Do I put Dan on a pedestal - maybe, just maybe.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
That can be a small forward positional factor. Players sometimes struggle for possies, especially with our manic pressure forward press. Let's wait until we see a few weeks with him up the ground. Wouldn't surprise me to see him start building into the 4-5 possies per quarter in that area of the ground. With the quality of them, and metres gained with the run....

yes, yes, yeeeeesssss.. delicious!!
(important to read that in Bruce's voice)
Yeh I agree. I think 20 touches and a 25-30 goal season is a good and realistic aim spending time on the wing and still with stints up forward.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Yeh I agree. I think 20 touches and a 25-30 goal season is a good and realistic aim spending time on the wing and still with stints up forward.
That's a pretty high bar. Only 11 players averaged 20+ disposals and 1+ goals per game last year.
Gray, Martin, Zorko, Bontempelli, Parker, Wallis, Dangerfield, I. Smith, Wingard, Coniglio, Kelly.

12 if you count Miles who had exactly 20 touches and a goal in his 1 game (pretty stiff to get dropped given the calibre of players that average this tbh)
If I increase the goal mark to 1.13 (exactly 25 goals over 22 games), that list shrinks to just 5

Rioli will have to become a bona fide elite player if he is to achieve this.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
That's a pretty high bar. Only 11 players averaged 20+ disposals and 1+ goals per game last year.
Gray, Martin, Zorko, Bontempelli, Parker, Wallis, Dangerfield, I. Smith, Wingard, Coniglio, Kelly.

12 if you count Miles who had exactly 20 touches and a goal in his 1 game (pretty stiff to get dropped given the calibre of players that average this tbh)
If I increase the goal mark to 1.13 (exactly 25 goals over 22 games), that list shrinks to just 5

It's just an aim and certainly not unachievable if he is going to play forward/wing role. He might finish on 18 and 20, but if he is getting roughly 20 touches most weeks and a goal a game ish or 20 for the season we are doing well.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
It's just an aim and certainly not unachievable if he is going to play forward/wing role. He might finish on 18 and 20, but if he is getting roughly 20 touches most weeks and a goal a game ish or 20 for the season we are doing well.
Fair enough. If he’s aiming for that and just falls short then he’s still going to be bloody good. Just don’t want him to get held to an elite standard... yet :p

Just my opinion, but I don't think Daniel looks out of place among the above names. He has the weapons, just needs to believe & achieve it onfield.....

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Fair enough. If he’s aiming for that and just falls short then he’s still going to be bloody good. Just don’t want him to get held to an elite standard... yet :p
Considering he was 14.2 disposals and 1.1 goals a game playing as a forward off no preseason and missing half the year. An extra 6 touches a game even with slightly less goals average after a better preseason and more midfield time, I honestly think 20 and a goal a game is a realistic aim. He doesnt actually have to add an enormous amount to his output.

No problem :thumbsu:

I suspect that Dan is an elite player just waiting to explode. Hope I'm right :praying:

Hounddd

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2012
🏆🏆🏆
AFL Club
Richmond
One of those players that just makes things happen, and opposition players s**t themselves. I wasn't overly thrilled when we took him as early as we did, but good God am I happy we did. Kudos again to the recruiting team, who have been nothing short of fantastic for a while now.

Love how we have kept most of our top end picks during our build and premiership window. We are at a stage now where the next concern is to ensure we hold onto the likes of Balta, Garth, CCj etc because we can't fit them in right now. What a time to be alive!

One of those players that just makes things happen, and opposition players s**t themselves. I wasn't overly thrilled when we took him as early as we did, but good God am I happy we did. Kudos again to the recruiting team, who have been nothing short of fantastic for a while now.

Love how we have kept most of our top end picks during our build and premiership window. We are at a stage now where the next concern is to ensure we hold onto the likes of Balta, Garth, CCj etc because we can't fit them in right now. What a time to be alive!

Well said. It seems like we have built a great young group. If we can introduce them over the next few years we'll not drop off. Might even have too many AFL quality players. What a terrible problem :moustache:

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Hopkins kicked 4 goals in the 1970 GF
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_VFL_Grand_Final

he took advantage of opportunities that came his way and had a day out in that GF

Burton I can comment on

Dan Rioli is very creative , especially along the boundary line with little room to work with
he makes the opposition nervous and they will mark him up even when he stands well away from a contest
he brings others into the play with deft little taps and gives others room by drawing defenders away

his value to us is very high and cant be measured in goals per game or total disposals

I think he discovered how to play in '17 , was hampered by the late start in '18
he appears to have had a clean run with injury in the preseason so far so watch out

Back