Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

i thought he was dead
I’m assuming this comment is about the push into Davis? So did I, was good to see him get back up and out there. Poor guy is going to be sore tomorrow though.

Getting back to his best.

Though he doesn't seem to have the pace he used to, or is it just me? Think that foot injury took some of his speed.
Not sure, could have, I thought he looked fast enough.

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Has failed to register a goal in 4 of the 7 games this season and isn't finding anywhere near enough of the ball to be guaranteed a spot in the team. Would rather he be made an example of at the selection time than be allowed to coast away on talent.

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
Has failed to register a goal in 4 of the 7 games this season and isn't finding anywhere near enough of the ball to be guaranteed a spot in the team. Would rather he be made an example of at the selection time than be allowed to coast away on talent.

I thought he was doing well until he hurt himself, wasn't the same after that.

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
I thought he was doing well until he hurt himself, wasn't the same after that.

What about the other games this season? For what its worth I think its stupid to blame forwards and especially small forwards when you lose games and the team gets smashed in midfield and I also admit Rioli has been a bit banged up this season but his level of output and lack of improvement needs to be noted and if Dimma wants to send a message to his players than it is guys like Rioli who should be the first to be dropped given they're not coming close to living up to their potential. At the beginning of the season I expected Rioli to lift his game to around 15-18 disposals and a goal a game and yet the last two weeks he got 6 and 8 touches respectively and zero goals. Nowhere near good enough.

Also he should of run the ball as far as he could when he got in on the wing and had Caleb Daniel chasing him. No point having pace if you're not going to use it.

Spluff

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers

He's literally been injured in each of the past four games. Can cut him some slack, as he's clearly been in a lot of pain. Given our depth of small forwards, however, he should have been rested by now.

Drofder

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2014
37.8265° S, 145.0069° E
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Niners
I watched him closely for a few minutes at ground level when he came back on last night. He was very very sore.

He’s been sore for a few weeks now. Taken some big hits.

Week off, in the ice baths, hydro therapy, massage. Feet up. Doritos and PGA Tour 19 on PlayStation. Bingo ! Fixed.

(Thanks Dr Drof.)

He's literally been injured in each of the past four games. Can cut him some slack, as he's clearly been in a lot of pain. Given our depth of small forwards, however, he should have been rested by now.

Absolutely. I was on the wing 10 seats back from the fence with that hit he took against the dogs. Let me clear something up for everyone. He knew it was his time to go and he went. I did not want him to do it. That’s how bad that hit could have been.

Thanks for this post mate. For the rest of you having a crack at him knock it the * off.

Drofder

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2014
37.8265° S, 145.0069° E
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Niners
Absolutely. I was on the wing 10 seats back from the fence with that hit he took against the dogs. Let me clear something up for everyone. He knew it was his time to go and he went. I did not want him to do it. That’s how bad that hit could have been.

Thanks for this post mate. For the rest of you having a crack at him knock it the **** off.

Me too. You could see it coming, he knew it was coming, and he put himself in harms way big time.

You could see him thinking....then he decided “I’m going.” It was a big hit.

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
Me too. You could see it coming, he knew it was coming, and he put himself in harms way big time.

You could see him thinking....then he decided “I’m going.” It was a big hit.
ballz of steel

at what point do the coaches tell him to shirk it like bellis so that we can protect his ribs ?

There’s an article on the Richmond website. It’s the next article in Konrad Marshall’s series of articles about the players.

Daniel Rioli’s turn this week.

As usual, another great read from Konrad Marshall.

King Cotch

Debutant
Sep 7, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone else a bit worried Daniel hasn’t kicked on much this year, I know he’s been banged up a bit but he hasn’t done much bar the one game and now he’s out of the team again.
I watch his cousin willie and whenever he’s near the ball something good happens, I wish Daniel had that offensive impact a bit more sometimes. I know defensive pressure he’s outstanding but offensively I’d like to see a little more.

Rioli will be fine. You only had to see his intent last game in the twos he wasn’t there sooking. But Butler deserved his recall and now Rioli needs to go back and do what Butts went back and did.

Anyone else a bit worried Daniel hasn’t kicked on much this year, I know he’s been banged up a bit but he hasn’t done much bar the one game and now he’s out of the team again.
I watch his cousin willie and whenever he’s near the ball something good happens, I wish Daniel had that offensive impact a bit more sometimes. I know defensive pressure he’s outstanding but offensively I’d like to see a little more.
He’s just seriously out of form at the moment. Unfortunately it happens to every single player out there, Rioli’s turn this time.

He’ll be fine. If he’s still playing VFL at the end of the year then we should worry but not at the moment.

Back