Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

Only just turned 23. We saw what he can do in 2017 finals. Has had a tough start to 2019.

Expect him to work his way back into the team and have a long career at the Tigers.

Too much emotion being expressed on him. He was 'given' the dreamtime game and I'm happy with that decision by the club.

He'll be giving 100% in the vfl and I'd expect him to dominate a few games there over the next few weeks. If it takes longer, so be it.

Correction, only just turned 22. The rest I agree wholeheartedly with though every chance he is back much sooner.

He’s probably a guaranteed in at this point against Geelong but still, I hope he takes this week to try and get some form going.
I don’t think he was that bad last week.
He just looked sore and under done. I reckon his last quarter was ok and he harassed well. Butler was really awful tonight with six touches , two goals from free kicks and no defensive pressure whatsoever.

I don't think Rioli is a guaranteed in. He would have to show some form.

Would be stupid to drop Butler after one game when he has built up some good footy in the VFL. He wasn't that bad, give him at least one more crack

You make some good points. But you're comparing him to the wrong players.

You should be comparing him to Higgins and Baker. These two have revolutionized our small forward position this year. Those two are currently producing so much than Dan has ever been capable thus far.

Small forwards with good skills, defensive pressure, goal smarts who are also ball winners. You didn't include them because Rioli doesn't compare favorably with them.

Going forward not all of Rioli, Castagna, Butler etc are going to play each week because they're limited and aren't well rounded players like Baker and Higgins. Right now it's Rioli out who must improve pronto.

We've also seen glimpses of Bolton turning into this type of player too. If he does then it's even more bad news for Dan. Sending him back and telling him to rack it up is pointing him in the right direction of what of what will keep him the team long-term. Otherwise he's going to be left for dust.

Not sure you have this right. Say this week Bolton, Castagna, Butler, Baker and Higgins all in the one team. They are clearly not all playing the same role. Some are playing higher and even doing midfield minutes and attending centre bounces, but Castagna, Rioli, Butler, and Bolton when they play have seemed to play almost exclusively as small forwards, and give or take they all seem to record mainly similar stats.

It is tough to keep track of them all but I think Higgins and Baker are playing more high forward and midfield a bit like Lambert or Edwards when he is not playing in defence.

Dan Rioli no doubt has a bit to go before approaching the numbers of benchmark small forwards of recent years like Cyril, Puopolo, Betts. He has from 2017 to now been our best small forward. It could be he is a bit off physically or something else is troubling him, but I would be shocked if we have seen the best of Dan Rioli either this year or over his career as a whole.

I don't think Rioli is a guaranteed in. He would have to show some form.

Would be stupid to drop Butler after one game when he has built up some good footy in the VFL. He wasn't that bad, give him at least one more crack
one of Butlers goals was from a mark, he then was put on the goal line because of off the ball incident. Other than that typical Butler ~ lack of awareness moments.....but, I'd leave Butler until the bye. He is playing for his career. The small fwd spot is a hard one to play & we have depth.

one of Butlers goals was from a mark, he then was put on the goal line because of off the ball incident. Other than that typical Butler ~ lack of awareness moments.....but, I'd leave Butler until the bye. He is playing for his career. The small fwd spot is a hard one to play & we have depth.
Correct and it was a strong grab too!

Butler started off the game reasonably well and hit the ball at speed in packs a few times, something came of being dropped. The forward half was pretty lonely at times so a tad harsh to blame him. Mind you I drifted off in the second half also, seems my days of masochistic watching Richmond to the last breathe are waining. Especially against North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was pretty good in first 3 rounds but reckon he got banged up pretty bad and should have been ‘rested’ earlier.
Might have lost a bit of confidence in himself and his body.
A few weeks in the VFL and I’m certain he will respond.
Has far too much ability.

Play him off hb.

Small forward role is a really difficult one particularly when you’re out of form. No easy possessions to get your touch back

While stats can highlight work rates we tend to not notice while watching live
Butler and Castagna use their pace to make plenty of tackles and that's part of our famous forward pressure
But Dan Rioli has tended to make a run down from behind tackle about every month or so that brings the house down
it fires up the crowd , it makes opposition heads drop and it inspires our players … its just one tackle
or if its not a tackle , he's trapped on the boundary line by multiple opponents and some how he gets free and kicks or sets up a goal
again he brings down the house

they've gone missing a bit this year , some passages of play looked like he was close but meh , it hasn't happened

He was in good company , Dusty has been tagged as being a bit off but also well published , hes getting that magic back

I watched some of the VFL game on Saturday , he looked good but from the bits I saw wasn't knocking the door down

Should go back to the VFL. He did nothing until 3QT, then someones given him a spray and he ran so much harder and got four quick touches in the first five minutes of the last.

His progression has been disappointing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back