Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

Should go back to the VFL. He did nothing until 3QT, then someones given him a spray and he ran so much harder and got four quick touches in the first five minutes of the last.

His progression has been disappointing.
I reckon the whole team got a collective spray at 3/4 time...came out with a lot more urgency and arguably won the Q!
Completely different side to the one that was playing 2 + 3 Q's...
Rioli is a barometer for the Richmond side at the moment...both are hit bad with injuries...

I reckon the whole team got a collective spray at 3/4 time...came out with a lot more urgency and arguably won the Q!
Rioli is a barometer for the Richmond side at the moment...both are hit bad with injuries...
We won the quarter, perhaps, but the game was over. It was embarrassing how Geelong took the foot off the gas and we still couldn't score.

Rioli isn't a barometer. He should be starting to have short stints as a mid, but he's probably behind Castagna at the moment, even. Even Butler probably gives us more..

We won the quarter, perhaps, but the game was over. It was embarrassing how Geelong took the foot off the gas and we still couldn't score.

Rioli isn't a barometer. He should be starting to have short stints as a mid, but he's probably behind Castagna at the moment, even. Even Butler probably gives us more..
No i have to disagree here...
Only had to watch the game in that last Q to see geelol were still invested...the heat was still there...
Rioli is a barometer...when he is fit and firing...the whole side is flying...

Haven't liked what I've seen from Daniel this season, I dont mind the dozen disaposals but what kept him in the side was his tackling and pressure, I'd say that side of his game has dropped almost in half this season. Not sure if it's because of an injury or just form, I'd like to think it's possible a mix of both.

I believe he was only brought back last week because Bolton had such a poor game at the time, I'd bring Bolton back in and drop Daniel again because of Bolton's match on the weekend.

With Riolis qualities he should be running like that for 4Q , his work rate is only a fraction of what it’s been in last 2y

With Riolis qualities he should be running like that for 4Q , his work rate is only a fraction of what it’s been in last 2y
Thats the problem when you are promoted from the 2s for not performing. He should be made to earn a game. Has been poor most of the year..
I know he got hit hard but most footballers do and should expect that. He needs a spell but he's not on his pat malone..

Hasn't been the same since injuring the foot/ankle in GF.... Might take him a while to get back to form, but definitely needs continuity to get there. Whether that is through the twos or persisting with the ones probably depends on who else is in the team and team form. Can't afford to carry him with current form though.

Hasn't been the same since injuring the foot/ankle in GF.... Might take him a while to get back to form, but definitely needs continuity to get there. Whether that is through the twos or persisting with the ones probably depends on who else is in the team and team form. Can't afford to carry him with current form though.
Thought he was pretty good last year , some serious highlights , contender for goal of year and his 3G QF wasn’t half bad . Considering no pre season , was a very decent year

Hasn't been the same since dating Fev's daughter... Might need to drop her to get back to form, but definitely needs continuity to get there. Whether that is through the twos or persisting with the ones probably depends on who else is in the team and team form. Can't afford to carry him with current form though.

EFA

Thought he was pretty good last year , some serious highlights , contender for goal of year and his 3G QF wasn’t half bad . Considering no pre season , was a very decent year
Yeah that's more the problem really, it's the stunted development - which is not his fault of course.. Just hasn't maintained the level or gone any further. (Poor choice of words on my behalf saying "hasn't been the same"!)

Hey i like that line of yours...the wisdom of the crowd!...Kudos to you!
Unfortunately ...the wisdom of the crowd!...is going to be policed out of the game by the AFL secret police protecting the incompetent bald headed green maggotts!
Got that in before Big Footy Forums protect the maggotts from online abuse!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets not forget he snagged three against GWS this year and nearly got his spleen ruptured.
Missing players through injury also pulls players out’ve prefered positions and alters systems that have been worked on pre season and he’s had his own injury troubles.
You can’t argue with talent and he’s got sh.tloads.
We’ve got our Richmond system but we haven’t got our best players.
If Rance is back Edwards will come forward we’ll also have Lambert and Jack forward.
I think Rioli is missing having more fwd threats around him.
He’ll come good I got no doubt we just need more quality around him up forward.

Rioli hasn't been the same since his foot injury.
I personally have doubts he'll be the same player again.
We hear he's 'out of form' but sadly think it's not form it's just the way he is now.
That foot injury was very bad don't forget.

We hear he's 'out of form' but sadly think it's not form it's just the way he is now.
Inb4 Mia kicks 5 against the injuries best

to me it looks like he's lost a yard of pace; doesn't have the explosive sprint power: possibly a chronic issue with the foot, or just fitness. I cant see it being attitude really. Then again, with Bolton, Stack also being helter skelter shock players now maybe he is trying to do something different (whether on instruction or subconsciously)

to me it looks like he's lost a yard of pace; doesn't have the explosive sprint power: possibly a chronic issue with the foot, or just fitness. I cant see it being attitude really. Then again, with Bolton, Stack also being helter skelter shock players now maybe he is trying to do something different (whether on instruction or subconsciously)

It's definitely the foot.
People here say it's attitude and Mia.
I watch him run and the intent is there.
However that explosiveness he once had is gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back