Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that it's not good to be bagging a 2 time premiership player. A bit like how I used to bag dimma...and a few before him.
I don't look at the stats, but I remember him being a significant contributor to the most important 2017 flag, and I remember being in the wonder at some of his contributions.
However, before the injury, he was fearless.
Since then, he seems afraid.
And his game just doesn't seem to stack up when he's not fearless.
Before this year, I would never have suggested keeping Butler ahead of Rioli or George. However looking at it right now, Butler appears miles ahead of both of them (and Higgins...but not Aarts).
If any club can help Rioli capture what I certainly thought he showed in 2017, then it will be Richmond. But it's not looking good atm. And maybe, like Butler, he has to go elsewhere. It's such a shame.

Last edited:
his most frustrating play was when he marked at half forward and instead of taking the game on to play on and use it quickly, he just waited, the defence gets back and eventually he goes long and high into a congested pocket to achieve nothing.

If he's going to play higher up the ground, he needs to get the ball and run and bounce, take the game on. Utilise your relative strengths which for him is speed and endurance.

I think he’s a better player than king ever was. Might be easier in this side with a more defined role though.
Agree. He looks a better player. More just reminds me of his tenaciousness if that’s even a word.

You’d back both guys to go 1 on 1 with an opponent for a ground ball and come up with it 9 times out of 10

Why do people keep bringing up the past? That’s all it is the past. He’s been awful for 2 years now. Skills are sh*t and more importantly he’s EFFORT is non existent. Should not have played this week either.
Its a fair call , he has completely lost form, he has
Been terrible , its like he is playing but can't be ****ed , going through the motions
Just have a 100% crack thats all we want to see

Hang onto him until we’ve got junior through the door

Personally don’t reckon he’s been the same since he took some big body blows early 2019 (or maybe 18). one that comes to mind was against GWS in a marking contest.

In his first couple of years he would have a real crack and take the game on in the air as well as on the ground. Honestly can’t remember the last time I saw him play with that flair. And hate to say but looks timid in so many contests recently

Like Butler before him, have we rendered him useless by over coaching, structures, game style?? Was it his role the last year or so, just to take up space defensively so teams couldn’t switch, therefore he hardly got a touch but did his role.
Agree with most above, 2 premierships So plenty of respect, but no impact and slows the play when he gets a touch, shouldn’t have come straight back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do people keep bringing up the past? That’s all it is the past. He’s been awful for 2 years now. Skills are sh*t and more importantly he’s EFFORT is non existent. Should not have played this week either.
Barely played a decent game since 2017. He should not be played. It's not fair to players who are better performed.

I agree that it's not good to be bagging a 2 time premiership player. A bit like how I used to bag dimma...and a few before him.
I don't look at the stats, but I remember him being a significant contributor to the most important 2017 flag, and I remember being in the wonder at some of his contributions.
However, before the injury, he was fearless.
Since then, he seems afraid.
And his game just doesn't seem to stack up when he's not fearless.
Before this year, I would never have suggested keeping Butler ahead of Rioli or George. However looking at it right now, Butler appears miles ahead of both of them (and Higgins...but not Aarts).
If any club can help Rioli capture what I certainly thought he showed in 2017, then it will be Richmond. But it's not looking good atm. And maybe, like Butler, he has to go elsewhere. It's such a shame.
I would not be selecting Rioli but I certainly wouldn't be trading him. Let him capture his form at the lower level. Small fwd is a tough position to play well consistently.

Last edited:
I would not be selecting Rioli but I certainly wouldn't be trading him. Let him capture his form at the lower level. Small fwd is a tough position to play well consistently.
Yep, just ask Butler (who rightly couldn’t break into our side last season) and Castagna! Tough position to play yet Dan cops an absolute bagging from many on here?
Perhaps he might be getting a game as he’s doing enough in the eyes of the coaches? How’s that for a radical thought

Thought he had his best game for a long time. When was the last time he had 17 disposals, Bolton only had 16. So whilst his use of the ball was average, at least he was running to the right spots. Let's hope he runs into form because with all our outs it would be nice to have him in form.

Yep, just ask Butler (who rightly couldn’t break into our side last season) and Castagna! Tough position to play yet Dan cops an absolute bagging from many on here?
Perhaps he might be getting a game as he’s doing enough in the eyes of the coaches? How’s that for a radical thought
Dan lost his mojo when rioli and george were plying ahead of him even when they were low on form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back