Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was great to see him chasing and laying tackles again tonight. Gave us a presence at ground level, something that we've been lacking for most of this season. I might be in the minority here but that's what I want to see from him every-week, he doesn't need to do more. If he does that the goals and score involvements will come. I'm not sure what some fans expect, as a small forward he's never gonna rack up massive numbers. I can understand the frustration around him not scoring but I'm sure if he keeps plugging away that's going to come.

Slowing the play down is a bit of a team issue not just Rioli, we give the opposition a chance to push numbers back before inevitably bombing away. At times in the first half today we worked our way through it by running (I recall Broad hitting up Jack I think) and we tried to go across the ground for a shallow entry but within scoring range (Yes Rioli turned one over like this but it was clearly an instruction from the coaches to bite off that kick). But still at times we go slow and are afraid to pull the trigger quicker when kicking inside 50.

The last 2 weeks have been steps in the right direction for him.

Last edited:
Was great to see him chasing and laying tackles again tonight. Gave us a presence at ground level, something that we've been lacking for most of this season. I might be in the minority here but that's what I want to see from him every-week, he doesn't need to do more. If he does that the goals and score involvements will come. I'm not sure what some fans expect, as a small forward he's never gonna rack up massive numbers. I can understand the frustration around him not scoring but I'm sure if he keeps plugging away that's going to come.

Slowing the play down is a bit of a team issue not just Rioli, we give the opposition a chance to push numbers back before inevitably bombing away. At times in the first half today we worked our way through it by running (I recall Broad hitting up Jack I think) and we tried to go across the ground for a shallow entry but withing scoring range (Yes Rioli turned one over like this but it was clearly an instruction from the coaches to bite off that kick). But still at times we go slow and are afraid to pull the trigger quicker when kicking inside 50.

The last 2 weeks have been steps in the right direction.

I think he is more of a forward than a mid and what he needs to consider is its important for him to present aerially to compete which is a point of difference which is critical to his game apart from tackles and defensive pressure

I've actually been impressed by Daniel the last two weeks. Is showing a high workrate and pushing higher up the ground to get involved but is letting himself down with poor choices and mistakes. Has been multiple times where he has done something great then turns the ball over.

I hope we stick with him in the team going forward.

I've actually been impressed by Daniel the last two weeks. Is showing a high workrate and pushing higher up the ground to get involved but is letting himself down with poor choices and mistakes. Has been multiple times where he has done something great then turns the ball over.

I hope we stick with him in the team going forward.

dan is on track to kick 6 in the grand final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked like he had a point to prove and seemed pretty pumped for the occasion.

I’ll give him credit where credit is due, he played pretty well and was much better than anything else he’s dished up this year.
Needs to make last nights intensity the norm not the exception. But good signs that he’s coming out of a long, long form slump.
And he’s a small forward paid to kick goals. When you’re running into open goal 20 out do what small forwards are supposed to do

Would have been cherry on top to nail that goal , still was a good game , and pleased to see he’s still got it

needs to realise its not just run and chase but also compete in the air and present in the aerial contest is the other point of difference for him as a forward which makes him more relevant functionally in his role.

Don't miss an opportunity to take a chance in front of goals, you are paid to be a forward

Not great with ball in hand on a few occasions. I was angry and yelling at the TV screen too. But would it be a big risk dropping him? Fox footy showed a clip at half time of our forward pressure and Rioli was the chief architect - pressuring them on the wing into a turnover, followed up and pressured again on HFF and Baker finished the job with a rundown tackle. Our pressure game was immense last night and was what won us the game - if Rioli is integral to this you have to think it's a pretty big risk to drop him.

Yes you could say e.g. that his handball turnover led directly to a Sheppard turnover and goal the other way which undoes the good stuff. But if you drop him, you are no guarantee to get the pressure he brings (from e.g. RCD) and you still might get the mistakes. It's a conundrum.

Not great with ball in hand on a few occasions. I was angry and yelling at the TV screen too. But would it be a big risk dropping him? Fox footy showed a clip at half time of our forward pressure and Rioli was the chief architect - pressuring them on the wing into a turnover, followed up and pressured again on HFF and Baker finished the job with a rundown tackle. Our pressure game was immense last night and was what won us the game - if Rioli is integral to this you have to think it's a pretty big risk to drop him.

Yes you could say e.g. that his handball turnover led directly to a Sheppard turnover and goal the other way which undoes the good stuff. But if you drop him, you are no guarantee to get the pressure he brings (from e.g. RCD) and you still might get the mistakes. It's a conundrum.
He does the job assigned to him, he will not be dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Back