Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

oh hey old mate old m8
why won't you respond to my tags in the jack graham thread?

I legit haven’t seen any tags about Graham sorry. I use tapatalk/bigfooty sparingly so if they’re not in my immediate notifications at a time I’m posting on here I won’t see them.

I’m kinda surprised if you’re bragging about his form though? I absolutely still do not rate him, but that thread is a lost cause for any negative discussion on Jack. He’s basically the greatest of all time even when playing poorly in there.

Genuinely, I do apologise to having not seen a notification.

I legit haven’t seen any tags about Graham sorry. I use tapatalk/bigfooty sparingly so if they’re not in my immediate notifications at a time I’m posting on here I won’t see them.

I’m kinda surprised if you’re bragging about his form though? I absolutely still do not rate him, but that thread is a lost cause for any negative discussion on Jack. He’s basically the greatest of all time even when playing poorly in there.

Genuinely, I do apologise to having not seen a notification.
well mate it's good to see that you are sticking to the guns :)

Happy with this. Should need to play a few weeks of good footy rather than the customary dropped for a week, do nothing in the VFL and get a recall.

Eggmolesse-Smith is an interesting replacement though, doesn't strike me as a pressure forward so not sure they'll play him back with Short and Baker there.
Hmm the much vaunted MC did they get it WWWRRRRONNGGG GOD FORBID NO. By picking Rioli as a sub when we already had so many who could play thru there. Did they get it wrong by picking a small hbf when there was so many options there. Surely the common sense option was another mid or a second ruckman.

Gotta feel a bit for promising Mids like Ross and RC-D i reckon.

Hmm the much vaunted MC did they get it WWWRRRRONNGGG GOD FORBID NO. By picking Rioli as a sub when we already had so many who could play thru there. Did they get it wrong by picking a small hbf when there was so many options there. Surely the common sense option was another mid or a second ruckman.

They have to come in, at least one of them at a minimum given Prestia is out. Ross seems a given.

rioli is out of form that is correct, but cmon guys i thought we were past the days of slagging off players and s**t and targeting them etc, this guy helped us win 3 flags, give him some respect at least. hes been picked multiple times before by MC and it was proven correct, this year could be a different story who knows, but yeah likes not go back to the chicken s**t days pls

Is that the much vaunted match committee that has overseen 3 flags and a minor Premiership in the last 4 seasons Moppey? I think they have a few clues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that the much vaunted match committee that has overseen 3 flags and a minor Premiership in the last 4 seasons Moppey? I think they have a few clues.
No arguments here. I have already stated that they have got MOST things right. The point being made, which i'm sure you are aware of is. There is a difference to people talking as if they get EVERYTHING right which you and i both know they dont.

It really is a spurious argument when all people offer up is the MC said so, so it must be right.

In hindsight do you think making Rioli sub was a good move when you consider it was a hot day, Rioli doesnt go thru the midfield plus we had plenty of options that had played as small fwds.
We actually lost two mids to injury.

No arguments here. I have already stated that they have got MOST things right. The point being made, which i'm sure you are aware of is. There is a difference to people talking as if they get EVERYTHING right which you and i both know they dont.

It really is a spurious argument when all people offer up is the MC said so, so it must be right.

In hindsight do you think making Rioli sub was a good move when you consider it was a hot day, Rioli doesnt go thru the midfield plus we had plenty of options that had played as small fwds.
We actually lost two mids to injury.

Hardwick stated prior to the match that Rioli wasn’t dropped he was being rotated to rest, and they would rotate other small forwards similarly in coming weeks. I guess there is a chance they may now rest him again given he played almost the whole match. I have always liked the idea of keeping the small forwards fresher and hungrier by rotating and resting through the earlier parts of the season, but of course this depends on who is available, as you need a surplus of decent small forward options to do it. Our midfield was full up, so they correctly imo pushed Bolton forward and rested Rioli. They didn’t need a mid as sub because they had Bolton in reserve for that role. In the event, Bolton inexplicably had an absolute shocker, he just didn’t look himself at any stage. As a result I would not be shocked to see him as the sub this week, despite us being midfielders down. Overall, I think they are right to use the sub position to rest players, share it around, rather than sit your next choice midfielder in that role every week. Those guys need playing minutes. I wonder also if the versatile Stack may be used a bit in this role as he is gaining fitness and touch.

On your point regarding the Match Committee, I would say the following…I agree not all their decisions are correct. But to say this is to say nothing. Nobody in any decision making role will get every decision completely right. I haven’t seen any posters here claiming every single decision the Match Committee makes is the right one. What I have read that has been argued moreso is that the Match Committee would be in a much better position to make decisions about selection than any of us on here, no matter how good we think we are at picking winning footballers. They get to interact with the players, they get data and footage and reports, and we are just not privy to any of that. We normally watch the game once at full speed, mainly on TV, and we really wouldn’t have the ability to monitor more than one or max two players at any given time, but 22 players each week and 22 opponents are all doing something at all times. So at any given time you or I wouldn’t have a scooby what about 40 different players in the match are actually doing. We don’t even have the benefit of knowing what the players have been instructed to do.

The real chances of the Richmond Match Committee making a correct call on selection are probably 85% or something. The real chances of the best out of you and I making a correct decision on selection from our vantage points, is probably about 25% or something realistically. If those figures are anywhere near right then the chances of:

a) the Match Committee making a wrong call, and
b) us getting the same call correct

would be about 3-4%.

To demonstrate how tough it is I will rank the players we have on our list who haven’t yet played in a Premiership team in order of how likely they are to establish themselves in our team and/or play 150+ games of AFL football. I would invite you to do the same. And I know that my list will end up looking laughable to us all within the foreseeable future. But to the people at the club in the know, it would almost certainly already look laughable.

For what it is worth, here is my list:

1. Ross
2. Coleman-Jones
3. Rioli
4. Martyn
5. Stack
6. Dow
7. Collier-Dawkins
8. Ralphsmith
9. Cumberland
10. Aarts
11. Nyoun
12. Chol
13. Ryan
14. Naish
15. Miller
16. Garthwaite
17. Eggmolesse-Smith

I think that is about all of them. In truth I have no real way of knowing.

i think its time to freshen up and re inevent daniel rioli
send him back to the 2s and train him up in a new role ala baker and caddy in previous years
would love to see daniel trained up as a small defender we did this with baker
in 2019 sent him back early in 2019 taught him how to play that small defensive role
then came back into the seniors and killed it ,,,,could daniel do the same

i think its time to freshen up and re inevent daniel rioli
send him back to the 2s and train him up in a new role ala baker and caddy in previous years
would love to see daniel trained up as a small defender we did this with baker
in 2019 sent him back early in 2019 taught him how to play that small defensive role
then came back into the seniors and killed it ,,,,could daniel do the same
I always though Dan would evolve into a good winger but his progress seems to have stagnated.

I always though Dan would evolve into a good winger but his progress seems to have stagnated.
Just seems to be devoid of all confidence, and just seems so hesitant on the field,,seems to have lost that sheer instinctive feel for the game
This is why I think he needs a run in the 2s,,as a small defender or wing,,to freshen his mind up to re focus his footy talents,,,plus playing with his uncle, junior will be a huge fillip for him,Sydney being back as well,,,,him and Daniel fit and firing in defence
In the second half of the season could be a huge benefit to us

So lets get the elephant in the room out in the open

Playing his current role how many goals would Rioli need to kick in 2021 whilst doing what he does would he be considered to be doing his job ?
20 ? 25 ? 30 ?

I personally think if he kicks 25 he has done his job if he kicks above 30 he has done a magnificent job
20 - par
25 - good
30+ excellent

LOL REally !!

Castagna , Butler , Higgins , Rioli , Bolton have never kicked anywhere near 45 goals a season
When was the last time we had a player kick 45 goals as a small foward under 185cm

Our game style that includes 3 smalls and 2 KPF will never allow this sort of tally and 30 goals from any small foward in our team would be like 50 goal season at other teams that a small foward plays as a goal scorer and not a defensive small.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back