Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

Castagna is still a very ordinary footballer. He’s just the best of a bad lot.

Our small forwards are well below average. I’m taking the following small forward groups over Castagna, Rioli and Aarts:

Ryan, Langdon (W. Rioli), Cripps
Butters, Fantasia, Rozee
Butler, Gresham, Higgins
Cameron, Bailey, McCarthy
Elliot, Brown, Daicos
Smith, Tipungwuti, Mosquito
Rankine, Sexton, McPherson
Pickett, Fritsch, Spargo
Miers, Dahlhaus, Atkins
Breust, Wingard, Brockman
Papley, Wicks, Ronke

Castagna, Rioli and Aarts are only marginally better than five or six small forward groups in the comp and are well below the elite. Aarts and Rioli are barely AFL standard. Castagna is a 5/10 small forward.

Seriously, how underrated Castagna is makes me sick, He is 24 and won 3 flags - I reckon he would be one of the first names on the teamsheet every week for attitude alone. He is the Richmond way. I question how any Tiger supporter can call him below average/ordinary at this point of our success. Disrespectful to a guy who plays the game EXACTLY as he is asked by his coach to play

stupid ass 50's in the final moments of a prelim can lose you games. If we lost that game he would have been mud.

I like Daniel but he has spent 6 years being the same version of himself - if anything getting slightly worse. I thought we had a better player than that on our hands, but perhaps not.
Let's face it, if his name on draft night was Daniel Jones I am pretty sure we wouldn't have drafted him. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't moment, he comes from a good bloodline so like racehorses that's what they go by but every now and then one ends up at the glue factory.

Seriously, how underrated Castagna is makes me sick, He is 24 and won 3 flags - I reckon he would be one of the first names on the teamsheet every week for attitude alone. He is the Richmond way. I question how any Tiger supporter can call him below average/ordinary at this point of our success. Disrespectful to a guy who plays the game EXACTLY as he is asked by his coach to play

George makes me tear my hair out a lot, but I think he’s brilliant. I could never question his commitment or work rate. George makes his own luck, where as Daniel waits for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Let's face it, if his name on draft night was Daniel Jones I am pretty sure we wouldn't have drafted him. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't moment, he comes from a good bloodline so like racehorses that's what they go by but every now and then one ends up at the glue factory.

That could be true, but at the same time i think we would have likely taken him anyway as we were looking for a very particular type of player that draft - small speedy pressure forwards. Even looking at the immediate picks after Daniel, I am not so sure he really has been that far off in performance - he still has been a 3 time premiership player & that is not something common schleps collect.

Himmelberg, Doedee, Gresham & Dunkley are the 4 guys that stand out as probably being better overall players - but at the time i don't know if they were our needs at the time.

Passing on Dunkley stings a bit in hindsight. He had played 5 or 6 games with our VFL squad - he was literally in our system already. He would be incredibly handy in our midfield right now. Before we beat ourselves up for that though, the Swans could have gotten him with pick 51 - but chose not to match the bid from the Dogs. ouch

Looking at the 20 picks taken after him - he is probably in the top 5 there, which suggest he was a pretty good pick. I think his issue has been development. He has the talent to be better than this . I think he has been a victim of our style a little bit. In the past players like him probably would have been dropped for half a year to the VFL to develop a midfield game. Based on our style that was not really an option - he was more important being that chase forward. Its a pretty hard roll to play for 6 years straight. You either have to be a total workhorse, or a magician type player like Eddie Betts or Liam Ryan that lives for the highlight reel - Daniel is neither of those.

Perhaps now is the time to give him that VFL stint and see if he can be a bit like Shai = build a tank and play through the middle and become a clearance, line breaker. It would be a massive challenge for him as i really don't rate his tank at all

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 1.31.00 am.png

Last edited:
I’m with ya brother. Love what castagna brings.

Super fast, evasive, great mark for his size and works harder than anyone other small forward in the comp by a long way.

Been saying it for ages if he had better skills he’d be best in comp

I’m with ya brother. Love what castagna brings.

Super fast, evasive, great mark for his size and works harder than anyone other small forward in the comp by a long way.

Been saying it for ages if he had better skills he’d be best in comp
Big game player as well
Dimma has a great moment with him in the making their mark doco and says to him exactly that
His grand final performances have been pretty amazing especially when we see him up the ground burning players with his speed

Big game player as well
Dimma has a great moment with him in the making their mark doco and says to him exactly that
His grand final performances have been pretty amazing especially when we see him up the ground burning players with his speed
Yeah I bloody loved that moment in the docu, felt like us castagna supporters were saying it with Dima as reassurance to the doubts in his head

“We love your chaos mate, just keep bringing it”
Dima said something like that anyway

Yeah I bloody loved that moment in the docu, felt like us castagna supporters were saying it with Dima as reassurance to the doubts in his head

“We love your chaos mate, just keep bringing it”
Dima said something like that anyway
100% was one of my favourite moments in the entire doco

He could be a genuinely good forward, has the tools, good hands, good set shot. He's stuck in role player mode at the moment I reckon. Needs a challenge, needs to be pushed to hit the scoreboard. Hopefully that's what he's working on because we need that player.

As Basil said in the 2017 prelim "he's got the name, and he's got the finish!".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He could be a genuinely good forward, has the tools, good hands, good set shot. He's stuck in role player mode at the moment I reckon. Needs a challenge, needs to be pushed to hit the scoreboard. Hopefully that's what he's working on because we need that player.

I agree with that. - we have boxed him into being just a one dimensional player.

I'd love to see him play in the midfield of a wing for a month in the VFL & made to run until until he puked. I just want to see him work his absolute ass off - to either find out if he has more roles he can play, or at least appreciate the role he has had & fall back in love with it. He doesn;'t seem to have that weekly challenge Betts does to try and and blow everyones minds with his skills and creativeness

Tonight the Port backline just passed it around with no pressure and no stress about a richmond player running like a mad man to apply pressure whilst waiting for the ball and the kicker kicked the ball comfortably knowing he would be able to kick it close enough for his team mate to mark it without getting cut off.

They pin pointed and stalled the play as they wanted and had players like Aarts/lynch/Jack trying to apply pressure , Rioli in the department is on another level altogether and we missed that.

Rioli is 100% best 22

Tonight the Port backline just passed it around with no pressure and no stress about a richmond player running like a mad man to apply pressure whilst waiting for the ball and the kicker kicked the ball comfortably knowing he would be able to kick it close enough for his team mate to mark it without getting cut off.

They pin pointed and stalled the play as they wanted and had players like Aarts/lynch/Jack trying to apply pressure , Rioli in the department is on another level altogether and we missed that.

Rioli is 100% best 22
Been saying it forever

Rioli is 100% best 22
No we had Jack applying the pressure, I don’t recall arts, did he play?

Been saying it forever

Been saying what? The forward pressure has been s**t all year lets not act like Rioli or anyone for that matter would have made a difference. The team as a collective needs to be better while the ball movement forward also needs to improve as half the time its giving the forwards no chance, making it easy for the opposition to rebound. The new rules also make forward pressure much harder to sustain as the moment you kick at point the resulting kick ends up needs the interchange bench.

As for Rioli on the brief crappy highlights the club put up it looks like he played with some intent against Werribee. Could be wrong but he looked to be trying to win the ball himself and create which is something he scarcely does at AFL level. By no means should be recalled just yet and should be made to work on his game and develop confidence to hopefully comeback a better player as Aarts isn't the answer (useful depth option).

cant wait for stack to get fit. Teams catching up to to us so we need some contested ball.
Riolis game has been found out. You have to be able to do everything , not just f ing run and tackle. Wake up people.
oh BTW I wonder how butler is going? Anyone still want to argue that?

Been saying what? The forward pressure has been sh*t all year lets not act like Rioli or anyone for that matter would have made a difference. The team as a collective needs to be better while the ball movement forward also needs to improve as half the time its giving the forwards no chance, making it easy for the opposition to rebound. The new rules also make forward pressure much harder to sustain as the moment you kick at point the resulting kick ends up needs the interchange bench.

As for Rioli on the brief crappy highlights the club put up it looks like he played with some intent against Werribee. Could be wrong but he looked to be trying to win the ball himself and create which is something he scarcely does at AFL level. By no means should be recalled just yet and should be made to work on his game and develop confidence to hopefully comeback a better player as Aarts isn't the answer (useful depth option).
Woulda offered more than Aarts on the night

cant wait for stack to get fit. Teams catching up to to us so we need some contested ball.
Riolis game has been found out. You have to be able to do everything , not just f ing run and tackle. Wake up people.
oh BTW I wonder how butler is going? Anyone still want to argue that?
Butler was always likely to be the best but needed a massive kick up the butt to pull his finger out and stop being a show pony.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back