Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Daniel Rioli is a 3 x premiership player

Show some respect you plebs :mad:

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Now that i have watched the whole game. If that's a good game then the bar is set very low. Yet this game was an improvement !!!!!!.
Seemed to me he spent more time in the midfield than usual this game.

How many times did he fumble and how many long periods did he just disappear. For me the only saving grace again was he kicked two goals and one of them he got because he fumbled the ball and a Stkilda player dived on it and got pinged holding the ball.

If he was not getting a game he just would not be missed. Would rather we played one of the young mids than him. Our young mids are being starved of opportunity imo.

box070

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Now that i have watched the whole game. If that's a good game then the bar is set very low. Yet this game was an improvement !!!!!!.
Seemed to me he spent more time in the midfield than usual this game.

How many times did he fumble and how many long periods did he just disappear. For me the only saving grace again was he kicked two goals and one of them he got because he fumbled the ball and a Stkilda player dived on it and got pinged holding the ball.

If he was not getting a game he just would not be missed. Would rather we played one of the young mids than him. Our young mids are being starved of opportunity imo.

He didn’t get a game against Port and was definitely missed.

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
He was better. But still what’s with his constant fumbling??? He’s the opposite of a one touch player. Continually goes to ground. Broken tackles. Say no more.
Not to mention all the one v ones he lost yet he apparently had a good game.

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Lost by 2 points our forward pressure was virtually non existent then he gets rushed back in the following week. Obviously the MC seen it the same way I did. But of course you know better

Forward pressure is a by product of winning the ball out of the middle and then the forwards doing the job of controlling the aerial contest. The idea that Rioli would have made any difference against Port because of his forward pressure is far fetched. One player doesn't make a difference, three players being on the top of their game doesn't make much of a difference, the key factor is winning the footy in other parts of the ground. Something we didn't do vs Port but did against the Saints. By the same token Saints spent one half the week before against WCE not winning the ball then smashed in the second half and all their smalls looked good.

box070

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Forward pressure is a by product of winning the ball out of the middle and then the forwards doing the job of controlling the aerial contest. The idea that Rioli would have made any difference against Port because of his forward pressure is far fetched. One player doesn't make a difference, three players being on the top of their game doesn't make much of a difference, the key factor is winning the footy in other parts of the ground. Something we didn't do vs Port but did against the Saints. By the same token Saints spent one half the week before against WCE not winning the ball then smashed in the second half and all their smalls looked good.

Not far fetched at all. Game was decided by less then a kick. That’s 1 turnover created, 1 blocking of a Port Adelaide exit, 1 goal kicked or created and the result changes. The question was did we miss him. I’m saying we did and obviously the match committee agrees as they rushed him straight back in.

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Not far fetched at all. Game was decided by less then a kick. That’s 1 turnover created, 1 blocking of a Port Adelaide exit, 1 goal kicked or created and the result changes. The question was did we miss him. I’m saying we did and obviously the match committee agrees as they rushed him straight back in.
LMAO. Where does one get the drugs from.

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Hilarious Port Adelaide were lucky to win and Dan Rioli would have made the difference. Never mind our mids were roundly beaten resulting in us being spanked in clearances, murdered for contested ball and soundly beaten for inside fifties. I know where we lost game and it wasn't because an always second to the ball fumbly Dan Rioli didn't play.
If honest we should have lost by much more.

Now if a fit Dion Prestia had played maybe it would have made a difference but i doubt it.
Geez how poor are some of our supporters, cant give the opposition due credit for being a bit better on the day after everything is done and dusted.

To my way of thinking Rioli in or out makes no difference, we would not miss him one little bit. It has been shown where he has missed what 22 games we lost just 4 of those and that was mostly when we travelled. Fact we hardly ever lose when he does not play.

Just my opinion but with the likes of Lambert Edwards, Bolton all rotating thru the fwd line like they did against the saints, i mean to say how good was Edwards snap!!! we dont need a out of form fumbling non performer in the team. Fact is there are plenty already there capable of giving more.
All he is doing atm is taking games away from the likes of Ross and perhaps even trying RC-D or giving Dow and Martyn a DECENT run at it thru the mid field where we have been a bit vulnerable.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Not to mention all the one v ones he lost yet he apparently had a good game.
Lol that takes the cake. Not only did not miss him but with such a non contributor we would have lost by much more.

Lets see what the coaches think about your opinion this week

after all they are the professional coaches that have won 3 flags

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm pretty sure they wont make changes this week!!!! the logic being an 86 point win against an insipid opposition covering over the cracks.

Even in a big win a poor game is a poor game and Rioli was ordinary. How many times does one of our so called more classy players have to fall over be second to the ball fumble his way thru a game and not go hard enough when its his turn to go to actually be criticised.

Last time i looked across tiger sites and spoke to tiger supporters they all agree to varying degrees.

Hmm DUD Dan has a ring to it atm.

Back