Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

If true then it definitely explains he and Boltons reaction to her being "handled" by this knobhead in the "yo-yo" bar - she would have been about 1 month pregnant at the time - people dont tend to make it public until after the 12th week

Wouldn't that be a turn around of events - if the whole Dan & Shai thing was them being overly protective of a women who was 4 weeks pregnant - but if true, that was the bloody case.
I don't know if they are pregnant, only what the story looked like.

Maybe they didn't realise how it came across.

What happened to all the posters who were screaming bloody murder about not dropping him because he was "doing his role", and that those who said he wasnt doing anything "didnt understand what his role was" ???

Looks like those of us demanding some tough love and for him to be dropped to find some form, and playing some newbies get what we asked for.

Lets hope he comes good.

This year HB flankers have dead set torched us , Salem with 39p one week , Luke Edwards in his 3rd game 27p , someone’s gotta be accountable , try their opponent for a start . Dan has drifted well off the std required in a team of our status , defensive efforts so so and offensive game well below par, refuses to back his wheels , handballing most of the time , has a way to go dan ,put in the yards dan, you done it once you can do it again

Last edited:
Fascinating move to develop him as a half back. With the trend towards a taller forward line plus the possibility of a defensive role opening up with Houli seemingly coming to the end, it makes some sense to try this. Can he develop the physical competitiveness to become a defender? Hope he can, it might be the making of him.

Must be desperate to be trying him as a defender. Key aspect of a rebounding defender is damaging footskills and taking chances like playing on. Can already see him being on the end of the switch with 100m of grass ahead of him, only to go behind his mark and wait until the opposition has got across to cover.

Fascinating move to develop him as a half back. With the trend towards a taller forward line plus the possibility of a defensive role opening up with Houli seemingly coming to the end, it makes some sense to try this. Can he develop the physical competitiveness to become a defender? Hope he can, it might be the making of him.

Yeah agree...strange and yet fascinating move by the coaching staff. Are they trying to reintroduce some of his lost defensive skills that seem to have abandoned him? With the intention of bringing him back in to his usual small forward role?

If they're trying to convert him into a running HBF, it may well be that we don't see him again this year. It may take more than a few weeks to learn the role.

Could be a master-stroke by Hardwick and co.

Must be desperate to be trying him as a defender. Key aspect of a rebounding defender is damaging footskills and taking chances like playing on. Can already see him being on the end of the switch with 100m of grass ahead of him, only to go behind his mark and wait until the opposition has got across to cover.

Half backs are supposed to set up plays, not stop, wait, then ask every opposition player on the field to get back and clog up the space he wants to kick to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's played midfield in the VFL before and got a fair bit of the football. And this is a nice refresh after being a small fwd at Richmond. A unrewarding role. But we should be rotating more players, like Baker and even stack or Mansell through the fwd line. See how they play. And see how Rioli goes at HBF in the level below. And that slow kick that he and Astbury do are set plays too I reckon.

I reckon that the new rules will suit him, his ability to run, carry and link up through the oppo defensive lines is something we are missing. I can't remember which game recently that he did it but it did stand out.

He's played wing before and looked lost, so I'm not confident of this move to half back working. I hope it does though.

The Daniel of 2017/18 was electric to watch (especially in finals). Since then for some reason there's been a slow gradual decline and I hope we've now hit rock bottom.

He's played wing before and looked lost, so I'm not confident of this move to half back working. I hope it does though.

The Daniel of 2017/18 was electric to watch (especially in finals). Since then for some reason there's been a slow gradual decline and I hope we've now hit rock bottom.
Not the same player anymore...

Interesting how most of us who knew nothing about football have been vindicated to an extent.

Half back will be interesting, he's got the speed and skills but I'm not sure he has the toughness to defend 1 on 1 when that's required. I can only think they are looking to groom him as a rebounding flanker to replace the outgoing Houli.

Last edited:
Interesting how most of us who knew nothing about football have been vindicated to an extent.
Speak for yourself. This has always been about finding the best players to play in the 22, and Rioli finding form in the twos to get better. Those who have been vindicated have on the basis that we knew that he wasnt performing his role whilst others told us we knew nothing. Is not about him being dropped per se.

And if he was still in the side there would be still some posters backing in his poor performances based off his legacy. You know who you are and you arent fooling anyone.

Now that we are dealing in the real world reality, lets hope those who wanted him in the side can put their poor calls behind them and we can all move on. Hopefully he can find some form in the twos.

Last edited:
Speak for yourself. This has always been about finding the best players to play in the 22, and Rioli finding form in the twos to get better. Those who have been vindicated have on the basis that we knew that he wasnt performing his role whilst others told us we knew nothing. Is not about him being dropped per se.

And if he was still in the side there would be still some posters backing in his poor performances based off his legacy. You know who you are and you arent fooling anyone.

Now that we are dealing in the real world reality, lets hope those who wanted him in the side can put their poor calls behind them and we can all move on. Hopefully he can find some form in the twos.
We shouldn't bring him back after one okay performance. We need him to be a consistent performer over quite a number of weeks.

Genuinely concerned for Rioli. I don't think he has the traits to be a half back flanker, I hope he proves me wrong. Knowing when to attack, when to defend, knowing how to cover space, create space is all going to be new to him. His pace is his only benefit, I'm not convinced his creativity by foot is that good either to hit a man rather than a goal.

Also, with the recruitment of Mansell and (very wrongly) Egg - are we still unsure of what happens once Houli leaves? The Egg selection is the biggest mistake our recruiters have made in a long while. Just mind blowing pick up.

I hope it works for Rioli and either the move to half back reestablishes him or gives him form to be what he once was to our structure. He has provided us with assisting in 3 flags. I'll support him till the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back