Traded 17. Esava Ratugolea (2017 -2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Get the vibe.

You can have 2 picks in the top ten, or two in the thirties , or project players or 6 rookies.

One gun and you win. Three good average from low down and things still look OK.

We have to dine low on the carcass.
Hyena's chew through bone and they love it!

Big dude. Might be ready by the time Hawkins is winding down. From the little I've seen, happy for the club to work with him and hopefully get him up to speed. High ball drop on the kicking action can be a bit of a concern, but seems ok on his set shots despite this. Consider me on the bandwagon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rebuild his kicking action and he could be a hell of a player I reckon

Maybe he is raw enough to do that but I dread the thought of spending picks on someone you have to rebuild something as important as kicking. How often does it work. They can improve but rarely does a bad kick become a good one. I look at this kid and see a player who will be kicking for goal with dread in his guts. They can get away with it as a kid but with the attention and focus they get in the big time.. it can be damaging.. ask Mooney , Richardson ... Kent Kingsley could have been an a grade player if he could have kicked accurately.
I know he has had big goal haul number in games... perhaps he has the potential to get better. Plenty of time to see as I feel he is a multi year project player.

John Butcher can take a mark. Can't kick can't learn to kick. However some kids have been playing football forever instinctively and some like Buzza are still learning. I think the purely instinctive players don't really change. No idea where Esava sits in this.

Big men are a lottery. No doubt about that. At least he looks proper big and fun to watch.

Id like to see how he went in the kicking tests.

Whilst the initial lift of the ball before kicking and ball drop need refinement he seemed to get it in line when kicking - in other words the mechanics look good - especially for a guy his size
Looked to have a reasonable feel as well with some good short passes , I also like the way he kicks through it on the set shots

Whilst the initial lift of the ball before kicking and ball drop need refinement he seemed to get it in line when kicking - in other words the mechanics look good - especially for a guy his size
Looked to have a reasonable feel as well with some good short passes , I also like the way he kicks through it on the set shots

Its all opinion... and I can learn to live with a 65% conversion rate no matter the look... but to me he just looks to artificial with ball in hand at setshots. Id like see more in play kicks.. but what I saw was not as good as someone like Hawkins. Early days... and he brings other assets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back