Traded 17. Esava Ratugolea (2017 -2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he was pulling up sore after some training and was being managed.

Cant find the article but thought it was a preseason club piece.

Go Catters

Esava Ratugolea (calf/Achilles, 2 weeks): The young forward/ruck had a minor setback after Christmas. Building his running program so he can join the main group soon.
Although the above information is near 5 weeks old.

ratugolea_main.jpg

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2017-02-08/injury-list-nmfc

Last edited:

198cm KPF and also played ruck at the champs, huge leap and really good movement at ground level for a big guy, project player but has huge upside.

Loved the little whistle of recognition for a good leap.

198cm KPF and also played ruck at the champs, huge leap and really good movement at ground level for a big guy, project player but has huge upside.

I asked Esava about his height and weight and he said that he was 195cm and 97kgs at the time.
The footy club now has him listed at 195 and 98kgs. He is now Cam Mooney proportions when Cam was playing AFL.

Last edited:
I think this guy has a better chance of making it than Buzza. 3 goals on debut in VFL is a decent start.

If i recall correctly, he had no practice match experience this year either.

I think this guy has a better chance of making it than Buzza. 3 goals on debut in VFL is a decent start.
If you check the VFL GD thread, there was a bit of comment about him being all at see and compared to Lucey in the honest battler but not up to it category.

Given its his first VFL game, the assessment maybe 100% accurate for THAT one game, even accounting for the 3 handy snags.

He' got a long long way to go IMO and the long slow cook in the VFL this year will do him good. Lets see him at seasons end and after another preseason or two. Very interested in where he ends up

AS for Buzza, im very impressed with the year on year progress of Buzza. If he can work like a maniac and continue his development and learning, who knows what the ceiling will be. Again, sitting back to watch the long term development here IMO will be fun.

Even Patty McCartin is getting judged harshly on development as a KPF.. and he's the best ranked talent from his draft...

Its a hard world out there.

Go Catters

First things first , he needs to smooth out his kicking is he is going to be a mark and kick forward. SavRat is raw , perhaps too raw as people do tend to lose patience but he is extremely gifted athletically. So in a way like Blitz. He probably has a better chance of making it than a kid that has little athletic gifts but has been playing for years. We may not know what we have till 2019

If you check the VFL GD thread, there was a bit of comment about him being all at see and compared to Lucey in the honest battler but not up to it category.

Given its his first VFL game, the assessment maybe 100% accurate for THAT one game, even accounting for the 3 handy snags.

He' got a long long way to go IMO and the long slow cook in the VFL this year will do him good. Lets see him at seasons end and after another preseason or two. Very interested in where he ends up

AS for Buzza, im very impressed with the year on year progress of Buzza. If he can work like a maniac and continue his development and learning, who knows what the ceiling will be. Again, sitting back to watch the long term development here IMO will be fun.

Even Patty McCartin is getting judged harshly on development as a KPF.. and he's the best ranked talent from his draft...

Its a hard world out there.

Go Catters

The McCartin commentary has been silly. If they want to trade him.. just give SW a call.

The McCartin commentary has been silly. If they want to trade him.. just give SW a call.
Yeah.. i was highlighting the absurdity of expectation sometimes - certainly not in agreement with them.

But yes, if they want him gone, Ill fly from here to there to drive him to KP :D

Go Catters

Yeah.. i was highlighting the absurdity of expectation sometimes - certainly not in agreement with them.

But yes, if they want him gone, Ill fly from here to there to drive him to KP :D

Go Catters

A bit of time on your hands Daz? Perhaps looking for a new job.... at least according to your KRocks mates. They said they other day it was your fault at the Brownless awards;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like he has added some height and weight...

197cm, 102kgs.

Look out. That's Hawkins size now.
quietly confident....

slow slow burn here.... let him develop and very happy to fund it for 4 years ( so 3 more) to let him do his thing.

Saw him play VFL last year... RAW.. but geez the ability is in there. Fitness and tank nowhere to be seen really so its a long road but like all good things they take time. Very happy for the #17 to be his for a long time ATM.

GO Catters

197cm, 102kgs.

Size means nothing when you are fundamentally woeful at every aspect of football, I'll be very surprised if he makes it personally.

Size means nothing when you are fundamentally woeful at every aspect of football, I'll be very surprised if he makes it personally.

Let us see how he goes this season. He had some injury issues last year (Achilles, hamstring and I think he broke his hand) and has very little AFL footy behind him as came from a rugby background.

Also there was someone who disputed Esavas weight at 95 Kg and 194cm. I cannot recall where the post was now. But I asked Esava what his height and weight were and his response was "Mate im 97kg and 195cm tall". That puts him at roughly the same dimensions as Cam Mooney in the height of his playing days.

197cm, 102kgs.

Seven kilos is a substantial weight gain. And he has gained a bit of height.

He was doing a handstand-off with Parfitt on Narkle's instagram and won 2-1.

This is clearly significant news during preseason.

He was doing a handstand-off with Parfitt on Narkle's instagram and won 2-1.

This is clearly significant news during preseason.

Geelong Addy front page stuff.

Have you seen him play? I know he had a game in the VFL where he didn't touch the ball, but it seems like his athleticism is freakish and he's a very strong contested mark. Kicked three goals on VFL debut as well.

Have you seen him play? I know he had a game in the VFL where he didn't touch the ball, but it seems like his athleticism is freakish and he's a very strong contested mark. Kicked three goals on VFL debut as well.

Like any kid learning to play forward he has to learn forward craft.
He needs to learn to time his leads, push off opponents, and where to run et cetera, as well as work on his goal kicking.
He has come from a rugby background and only played AFL when his family shifted to Cobden (iirc).
He had some issues with a various injuries last year and he needs to stay on the park longer so that we can get a reasonable look at him.

I watch quite a few VFL games and Buzza was not much chop early in his first season in the VFL. He did not know where to run and spent a lot of time in no man's land. He seemed to get better as the season progressed.
Give the kid a fair go at it before writing him off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back