17 game H&A season

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard people talking on radio today saying the players were strong in their desire to play, as if that should be a consideration. The players want a full season? Of course they do; they want to play and they want full pay. They lose money if we get only 17 games.
The AFL ought to be considering the health of the players and the bad look, if they play in empty stadiums. With the world in lockdown, it seems absurd to be pretending the game can go on. I'd be really surprised if we get much of a season. Sadly it's going to be an asterisk season all round.

Last edited:

Write this season off.
There is no way that a contact sport can exist in the current climate.
Today, doctors in WA have called for all interstate travel to be suspended.
Will QLD follow? NSW? VIC?
And the AFL themselves have stated one positive test is the end of the season.
That test is going to happen. We all know it.
This “attempt” to create a season is an absolute farce. Only being done to try and placate the betting sponsors.

There is already a cure no need for the hysteria.

Also ok with 17 game season so long as they don't use it as a trial run to permanently head in that direction. I know a few at AFL house have tried to push that agenda before.

Never understood why people wanted to kill off 5 games and make an already quick season even shorter...I know what will make the game great...less games! Said no one ever.

There is already a cure no need for the hysteria.

Also ok with 17 game season so long as they don't use it as a trial run to permanently head in that direction. I know a few at AFL house have tried to push that agenda before.

Never understood why people wanted to kill off 5 games and make an already quick season even shorter...I know what will make the game great...less games! Said no one ever.

Will never go that way. AFL TV deals = $$ so they wont just cut 5 rounds worth of games for no good reason. Pretty safe to say those extra rounds will stick around if money is involved.

Buckley loves the new format, and thinks it’s suits our game style pretty well. Interesting to here also Brodie’s comments after the game that he likes to play in bursts. So the shorter format helps him also. I assumed he just dominated whole games...and just ground it out?

liking how this helps with our high intensity style!

For mine 17 games and ideally finals is the minimum required to constitute a flag. If the footy gets going again, but can only manage another 8-12 games this year would a 34 round home and away series spread across the 2020 and 2021 seasons (9-13 games in 2020 and the balance in 2021) be an option?

For mine 17 games and ideally finals is the minimum required to constitute a flag. If the footy gets going again, but can only manage another 8-12 games this year would a 34 round home and away series spread across the 2020 and 2021 seasons (9-13 games in 2020 and the balance in 2021) be an option?
Don’t mind that at all.

Already talking about energency measures possibly having a season between 8 and 12 rounds.
With stoppages and other possible road bumps it would not be outside the realms of possibility we have a December grand final, in a empty marvel stadium, 8 to 12 round season.

Already talking about energency measures possibly having a season between 8 and 12 rounds.
With stoppages and other possible road bumps it would not be outside the realms of possibility we have a December grand final, in a empty marvel stadium, 8 to 12 round season.
Personally think a season that short is silly, however an 8 round season gives thought to 2 divisions (9 teams in each division with each side playing the teams within their division once) and some kind of finals/grand final thereafter. With each team effectively having one bye breaks between games could be compressed.

If the AFL were to go down the path, to minimise disparity and give merit to a shorter season a longer finals series would be desirable (obviously there could be issues with not having enough weeks and a repeat of the AFLW season end). While I dislike the wildcard idea it seems to be a buzz thing, here's one potential finals method if there were two divisions; including H&A the Grand Finalists would have played between 11 and 13 matches.

1585061469619.png

Last edited:
The shorter the better for us I think, fewer injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back