Player Watch #17 - Harley Bennell - Fingers can now be uncrossed

Remove this Banner Ad

I just read the article tonight. Sounded like he could have gone with his partner and child. And the club have been trying to get him back to Perth. Also AFL asked him to leave them state ASAP after the punishment was handed down.

He was told to leave the state ASAP after he breached the hub, they wouldn't be making him quarantine he just missed the flight. I've been behind Harley all year but geez I think he has really lost the plot in the last two weeks.
He's got a young baby and he's been out in public, surely he's gotta stay away from his kid.

I don't know the rules in qsld, just thought after going out they might think it's safe to stay away from his kid.
Nah there's like 2 cases a day and Queensland is effectively normal, certainly wouldn't be that.

I don't know the rules in qsld, just thought after going out they might think it's safe to stay away from his kid.
Doubt it. people in Qld are going out every day then returning to their families, babies etc. Because at least at the moment, there is no sign of significant community transfer. I see no possibility that Harley has been told to isolate from his family. The AFL “bubble” setup is chiefly to prevent the scenario where someone transmits the virus to other AFL players which could shut the company down for 2020 and cost gazillions etc

There just has to be something more to this. Hun reporting Harley is still stuck in Queensland and isn't in WA. Something isn't right. Whatever it is, I wish him the best.

What a waste of talent he could of been a superstar of the game
Averaged 23 touches and kicked 25 goals in his second season. Could have been one of the greats.

Had 38-4 and 37-3 in his 2nd season.

27-6 in his 4th against Geelong.

Not subscribed can't read that.

Newly retired AFL star Harley Bennell has been taken to hospital by ambulance on the Gold Coast after a big night to celebrate the end of his career.

Police were called to an apartment at the Aria building at Broadbeach about 8pm on Monday after reports of a disturbance and found the strife-prone former Gold Coast Suns, Freemantle Dockers and Melbourne Demons player heavily intoxicated, sources told The Courier-Mail.

Cops called paramedics and an ambulance took Bennell to hospital.

Newly retired AFL star Harley Bennell has been taken to hospital by ambulance on the Gold Coast after a big night to celebrate the end of his career.

Police were called to an apartment at the Aria building at Broadbeach about 8pm on Monday after reports of a disturbance and found the strife-prone former Gold Coast Suns, Freemantle Dockers and Melbourne Demons player heavily intoxicated, sources told The Courier-Mail.

Cops called paramedics and an ambulance took Bennell to hospital.

Cheers mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a dumb campaigner.
Get ****ed how is he dumb.

He's clearly got an alcohol issue, and as much as he tried to suppress it getting on with it this year, he obviously turns to it in times of trauma or hardship- such as his football career ending.

Didn't you spend a whole night talking about getting on coke and s**t on another thread? Congrats, some people can handle it like you. Well done on your high drug/alcohol/mates piss tolerance. Sadly, some blokes, like Harley, clearly can't stay away from it.

I just hope he gets the support he needs, as someone who has seen a mate go into rehab and lose everything through drug/alcohol addiction, he's gonna need all the help he can get now.

Get f’ed how is he dumb.

He's clearly got an alcohol issue, and as much as he tried to suppress it getting on with it this year, he obviously turns to it in times of trauma or hardship- such as his football career ending.

Didn't you spend a whole night talking about getting on coke and sh*t on another thread? Congrats, some people can handle it like you. Well done on your high drug/alcohol/mates piss tolerance. Sadly, some blokes, like Harley, clearly can't stay away from it.

I just hope he gets the support he needs, as someone who has seen a mate go into rehab and lose everything through drug/alcohol addiction, he's gonna need all the help he can get now.

My job/thing that I love doing isn't hinged on me not going on a bender.

Either he's a dumb campaigner or the club is for bringing in someone who can't control their behaviour. Your choice.

I think he done for good now. You don't announce your retiring unless you know you have used up all your chances.
Unless you're Mitch Clark

Either he's a dumb campaigner or the club is for bringing in someone who can't control their behaviour. Your choice.

Mate, life just isn't that black and white, have a bit of empathy for a bloke who's clearly struggling big time right now

Mate, life just isn't that black and white, have a bit of empathy for a bloke who's clearly struggling big time right now

I'm not the one who gave him the arse am I? How bout holding the club accountable perhaps if you want to go down that path?

I'm not the one who gave him the arse am I? How bout holding the club accountable perhaps if you want to go down that path?

Accountable for what?

The football world knew the risks associated with Bennell and the club made it clear what he needed to do and not do to get another contract. I actually think the club has come out of this with with an improved reputation for putting in a great program for a guy who was/is struggling big time.

Accountable for what?

The football world knew the risks associated with Bennell and the club made it clear what he needed to do and not do to get another contract. I actually think the club has come out of this with with an improved reputation for putting in a great program for a guy who was/is struggling big time.

Yet he's in hospital the day after we cut him/retired. Brilliant.

It's not one or the other.

Bloke obviously controlled his behaviour for best part of 12 months from when he was invited to train, until days before season ended.

I actually feel sorry for you if you think it's that simple.

Yet he's in hospital the day after we cut him/retired. Brilliant.

Yet he was given every chance to resurrect his career and even though he has some serious issues, he was able to keep it together for almost a whole year in season unlike anything we've experienced before in an extremely challenging environment.

Not bad

Of course if people choose to see the negative in it then that's their choice, I've said my piece, no more replies from me on this topic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back