Player Watch #17 - Harley Bennell - Fingers can now be uncrossed

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel he's still only going at 50-60%. And I'm happy with that. If he can get through this season without any serious injury, and get games under his belt, then we should see his confidence gradually rise. I don't think we'll see him at 100% ever again, but if he can get close to 80% of his capabilities, then what a fantastic result for him and the club. As his confidence rises too, we should see him play more minutes through the middle. Loved the response from the team after he kicked that goal.

Yze? Anyway it's a shame he's missed so much footy. It's almost been forgotten how slick he is.

Travis' pick ups off the deck were amazing, I dunno, Yze was good at it also, but Johnstone could do it a full tilt in the same manner Harley can and weave onto either his right or left foot no problem.

Just watching that first goal from Rankin too, * it's good. Picks it up off the deck then he crosses over Harmes so bad he leaves him clutching at air, amazing what some of the aboriginal players can do.

Travis' pick ups off the deck were amazing, I dunno, Yze was good at it also, but Johnstone could do it a full tilt in the same manner Harley can and weave onto either his right or left foot no problem.

Just watching that first goal from Rankin too, fu** it's good. Picks it up off the deck then he crosses over Harmes so bad he leaves him clutching at air, amazing what some of the aboriginal players can do.
Maybe besides Dusty and Bont, the indigenous players are the only one's making this game worth watching right now. Rankine will be a star. The Suns will have a dynasty up there. The AFL seriously f**ked up giving them so many handouts last season. What a joke!

Maybe besides Dusty and Bont, the indigenous players are the only one's making this game worth watching right now. Rankine will be a star. The Suns will have a dynasty up there. The AFL seriously f**ked up giving them so many handouts last season. What a joke!
The salary cap could eventually squeeze some of their talent out, like GWS face most years now, but this year has shown how good King, Rowell, Rankine and Lukosious can be. Keep those together with Anderson, Collins etc and they'll be contending.
Also hope injury doesn't hold them back too much. O'Meara was incredible in his first year for the Suns. Shame about his knees because he was a remarkable player to watch going through middle and dobbing goals as he pleased. Still handy but obviously hampered him a bit.

Yea don't count your chickens, everyone said the same about GWS , how many premierships have they got again?

Half their guns will leave, it's about hitting the draft picks again they get in return to keep them afloat.

Just watching the highlights on YouTube, some of Bennell's pickups off the deck are stupendous, nothing like I've seen for a long time from anyone on our list.

Can't wait til he starts hitting his straps, the flashes of class are still well and truly there.

and it looks effortless, his kicking still rusty but once that comes good, will be massive for us

Just watching the highlights on YouTube, some of Bennell's pickups off the deck are stupendous, nothing like I've seen for a long time from anyone on our list.

Can't wait til he starts hitting his straps, the flashes of class are still well and truly there.
Said it in the review thread, he was moving so slow but he still bought himself some time with how clean he picked up the ball. As soon as it hit his hand it was his. Compare him to the fumbles of AnB or Brayshaw

Just watching that first goal from Rankin too, fu** it's good. Picks it up off the deck then he crosses over Harmes so bad he leaves him clutching at air, amazing what some of the aboriginal players can do.
Perhaps you're right maybe it's the way he can hold the ball with one hand reminded me of yze. Now that I think about it he kind of reminds me of Jared Brennan in that sense as well.

He really looks to be worried about pinging the calf going 80% or more, which is kinda fair enough at this stage. Expect him to improve week by week if we can keep him out there.

Agree, his intensity on Sat was definitely an improvement on R2 though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks like he’s going at 60-70%, but the way he plays, it seems like he just has so much more time than everyone else. I was smiling so much when he kicked that goal, the way the team got around him too was awesome to see.
Yeah, I'll accept him being a bit tentative on sprinting with his history. Still went when he needed to and so clean off the deck.

Loved the goal and reaction too.

Good to see him up and going, obviously well liked at the club, the reaction after his goal was great to see.

sidednote; Hannan is underrated he just about our best pressure forward and against GC he hit the scoreboard.

I’d be dropping melks before Hannan, we are just waiting for 2018 melks to reappear

Hannan's a gun, never really rated him that highly before this year but his impact per stat ratio would be the highest at the club this year.

His pressure and ball use has been first class.

Even in 2018 Hannan's best was never as a forward, it was as an outside runner from the back or top of the square. Struggled to adjust last year without 6-6-6 and being unfit but he's found that run again and uses it to great effect to chase players down and provide that overlap run. He's a good field kick too.

You'd be full of sh*t if you thought he's added even 5% more defensive side to his game haha. Coaching staff are morons for keeping him out of the side if that was the actual reason
They are ******* plebs, we have been crying out for class finishers. Some players you give a pass to on defensive efforts coz they offer far more than anyone else can offensively.

It's no different to basketball. You don't take your star assist machine point guard off the court every defensive possession coz he's smaller than other point guards who might post him up. Just shut the * up and let him do his thing on offense.

You'd be full of sh*t if you thought he's added even 5% more defensive side to his game haha. Coaching staff are morons for keeping him out of the side if that was the actual reason

Mate, his defensive pressure is absolutely unrecognisable from before being dropped.

He's a completely changed player.

BIG TIME.

Mate, his defensive pressure is absolutely unrecognisable from before being dropped.

He's a completely changed player.

BIG TIME.

I'm sensing BIG TIME © is what Headless wants his new catch phrase to be?

Perhaps that's been the problem for the last 18 months an obsession with 18 man defense. It might be a good thing that forwards I dunno stay forward. Every team plays 18 man defense maybe it's time to try something different. How often do you watch games where a team stops going forward because they're waiting for a player to run into forward space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back