Player Watch #17 - Harley Bennell - Fingers can now be uncrossed

Charlie_s123

Premium Platinum
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
If he can get his body right and start playing his best in the red and blue, oh boy ...

1580801810180.png

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I like this. Not because i think Harley is a jet, but because we're taking a risk. Albeit fairly small, but it's not the type of thing we'd normally do. I'm not convinced he'll get on the park, but his talent is worth the risk 100%. By all reports he's really popular with the playing group and has shown 100% commitment to training/rehab. So let's cross everything that he can get right..

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If he gets through his injuries, I like it. Minimal risk, quite a high potential.

At worst he plays the Jeffrey role of getting us those 2-3 important goals each week in a pocket for up to 4-5 years (allowing players like Bedford/Chandler/Pickett/etc hone their craft a bit more to break into the squad).

Bennell is dead set Andrew McLeod, he wasn't as impressive as Cheney but will make a hell of a player.
Quote from Round 1, 2009. Totally is about Harley and definitely not Jamie.
Wish I could give Bennell all 12. But he's on the opposition.
Quote from Round 19, 2012
Are we allowed to give votes to opposition players? If so, I give 12 to H. Bennell, he recognised early days that he wasn't going to have an opponent for the entire game and merrily went on his way to being best on ground.
Quote from Round 7, 2013

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Best of luck, Harley. And well done MFC.

That news gave me a funny, unfamiliar feeling... not sure what it is ... but I think it might be ... maybe ... a sense of pride?

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
Best of luck, Harley. And well done MFC.

That news gave me a funny, unfamiliar feeling... not sure what it is ... but I think it might be ... maybe ... a sense of pride?

Less Shame.

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Harley is the ultimate tease. If you love roller coasters you'll love having him at your club.

He would gradually build up to AFL football and do some ridiculous things in the WAFL, but sadly would break down again and again not long before returning. There's one piece of footage from the WAFL last year where he runs the length of the field with the ball and slots it through the goals. Sublime.

He's a special talent but I honestly don't think his legs are going to change even after the surgery he's had. In saying this, I really hope he proves everyone wrong and he gets a good run at it, regardless of the colours he is wearing.

Back