Player Watch #17 - Harley Bennell - Fingers can now be uncrossed

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes! Blitz said we can pick up Jesse Hogan in the mid year draft!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

So long as its not a player that can threaten Nathan Jones spot in the side I'm fine with whatevs. šŸ˜‰
No campaigner is taking that spuds place in the team so stop with the silliness

Kicked 4 in the scratch match.

Don't care how fit he is. A half fit Bennell is still better then what Vandenberg dished up on the weekend.
Just feel like with the season already ****ed, I'd be just getting as much game into him as possible.

Don't care how fit he is. A half fit Bennell is still better then what Vandenberg dished up on the weekend.
Just feel like with the season already fā€™ed, I'd be just getting as much game into him as possible.
100% mate. Good to see he's played 3 weeks in a row. Nothing crazy, but positive signs šŸ‘šŸ»

Just feel like with the season already fā€™ed, I'd be just getting as much game into him as possible.
If Bennell plays instead of AVB or Hannan on the wknd, we win. Another baffling selection by crazy Goody. Same with Lockhart for Jetta. Just weird to make those selections against a solid experienced side like Geelong. Jetta wasn't setting the world on fire, but surely he has credits in the bank and his experience against a strong senior team would have been a smarter move than bringing in Lockhart who made some crucial errors. Bizarre selections cost us yet again. Was on the fence with Goodwin, but he's totally lost me moving forward.

Get him in the side. Not sure who for. Hannan was quiet good first up. AVB was quiet but he has more to offer than that. He needs another chance.
I agree. At least vandenBerg tries to actually put some physical pressure on the opposition. He makes a difference to the team when heā€™s up and going, like Bennell, I donā€™t see the point of ā€˜managingā€™ him through scratch matches.

I think the general consensus from our supporters was AVB was ready to go and we were excited to see him. I will give Burgess the benefit of the doubt that he was fit and ready to go, just underperformed.

Hannan was probably more the replacement and I found he was fairly decent without being great. Again, another bloke who played very little lately but run the game out well.

I would personally see Melksham go and have a break in the practice match and see Bennell and Hannan on either half forward.

If Bennell plays instead of AVB or Hannan on the wknd, we win. Another baffling selection by crazy Goody. Same with Lockhart for Jetta. Just weird to make those selections against a solid experienced side like Geelong. Jetta wasn't setting the world on fire, but surely he has credits in the bank and his experience against a strong senior team would have been a smarter move than bringing in Lockhart who made some crucial errors. Bizarre selections cost us yet again. Was on the fence with Goodwin, but he's totally lost me moving forward.
Hannan was good. If Bennell plays over him we lose by more

Hannan was good. If Bennell plays over him we lose by more
7 possessions, 2 tackles, 1 behind. I'd back Harley in to be worth more to the side than that. But Goody made a mistake IMO bringing in 2 blokes in AVB and Hannan a little underdone and 1st games for awhile. I'd rather Harley at 60% gametime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 possessions, 2 tackles, 1 behind. I'd back Harley in to be worth more to the side than that. But Goody made a mistake IMO bringing in 2 blokes in AVB and Hannan a little underdone and 1st games for awhile. I'd rather Harley at 60% gametime.
Hannan was worth more than stats alone. That's like saying Oliver was good cos he had 25. When we all no he had minimal impact.

On a side note, time for a name change on the thread. He's up and about, the only thing not surely about him is how fast Goodwin turns him into either a key defender or inside mid.

I must admit I thought Hannan would have had more than 7 touches. But I really thought he had some influence when he got it. Only played about 64% game time to. So that will only improve.
Yeah me too. Got to some contests and a bit like Tom, at least stopped intercept marks that wouldn't go down as a stat.

Hannan's game was good and I also thought Bennell's game against Carlton was as well.

Hannan linked up and looked dangerous as well as putting some good pressure on. Bennell was cautious but kept his width and played well as link player. We need players who can play their role, not 6 inside mids within 10 m of each other.

Disposals mean * all, nothing annoys me more than someone who clearly looks a the stat sheet before deciding who the best players were. Just watch the game and you'll see who actually played well. It's not hard.

Bennell wasn't great against Carlton, but he had moments, if you're going to play a guy who hasnt played a game in 10 years you should give him a bit more of a shot at it than one game and then drop him. What in God's name were you expecting from him?

Hannan has never been a player you judge the stats sheet for. His role is to impact contests in the air and on the ground, put pressure on and ideally kick a goal a game. Didn't quite get there on Sunday but considering the gametime he played I thought he was reasonable.

Yep, completely agree he does the little things very well and consistently.

Bennell wasn't great against Carlton, but he had moments, if you're going to play a guy who hasnt played a game in 10 years you should give him a bit more of a shot at it than one game and then drop him. What in God's name were you expecting from him?
This. Vanders might get a pass for the same reason (although I wouldn't have an issue dropping him for Bennell). Was invisible for 90% of the game but has played, what, 4 games in as many years? Will need a couple of weeks to find touch

Just watching the highlights on YouTube, some of Bennell's pickups off the deck are stupendous, nothing like I've seen for a long time from anyone on our list.

Can't wait til he starts hitting his straps, the flashes of class are still well and truly there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back