Player Watch #17: Jake Bowey – signed to 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Context? Instructions? Mate, when a guy is surrounded by acres of space in the forward 50m there isn't a coach in the world that would say do anything other than hit that up.
Context, you know, relevant details?

So that you don't draw a definitive conclusion without assessing more than one factor. The thing that you were saying that other people were doing before and was the reason why they were wrong?

This is the play in question

Bowey needs to get back far enough that his kick wont be immediately smothered and probably needs about two/three metres off his line to hit Melksham, as Melksham is basically leading behind the man on the mark, the window he has is tiny and once he realises Melksham is covered he immediately turns in board and gives it to Rivers.

Maybe a local reserves player could hit that target but only because the bloke standing on the mark is ten kilos over weight with the agility of a tractor.

You were using this as an example of Bowey lacking composure and panicking with the ball. It's simply not the case, especially when theres about a dozen other examples from the same game of him using the ball incredibly well in tight spaces under pressure.

He doesn't need to go back off the mark mate. The guy on the mark can't move. All he needs to do is step to the side and hit the kick. The window looks small because 1) he doesn't see the free target and 2) he runs so far off the mark. He still could've hit the target if he wanted to such was the amount of space he was in.

He doesn't need to go back off the mark mate. The guy on the mark can't move. All he needs to do is step to the side and hit the kick. The window looks small because 1) he doesn't see the free target and 2) he runs so far off the mark. He still could've hit the target if he wanted to such was the amount of space he was in.

52 disposals in 3 games and you keep going on about this one? so what he didn't hit up a kick that you thought he should make, its not like he turned the ball over like most of our other players would have.

So what you're saying is you want to take a kid who is an elite ball user and tell him to approach kicking like Clayton Oliver, who constantly fails to go back more than 1 metre on the mark, looks around and sees 5 teammates clear and then, and only then, does he realise he's got no way to get it to them because he hasn't gone back off his mark.

Really hope for your sake you're one of those weird trolls who gets off on saying clearly incorrect stuff. Would hate to think you actually regard these ramblings as good points.

So what you're saying is you want to take a kid who is an elite ball user and tell him to approach kicking like Clayton Oliver, who constantly fails to go back more than 1 metre on the mark, looks around and sees 5 teammates clear and then, and only then, does he realise he's got no way to get it to them because he hasn't gone back off his mark.

Really hope for your sake you're one of those weird trolls who gets off on saying clearly incorrect stuff. Would hate to think you actually regard these ramblings as good points.

Honestly no idea what you're talking about. Oliver isn't technically a good kick, whereas Bowey is so comparing their decision making is always going to be different. I also said that Bowey is going to be a great player but it's unfair to compare him to Caleb Daniels.

I also question whether he can handball on his left. There were 3 or 4 occasions where he should've handballed on his left side but he had to stop and rotate all around to use his right. Am I the only one that noticed this?

Honestly no idea what you're talking about. Oliver isn't technically a good kick, whereas Bowey is so comparing their decision making is always going to be different. I also said that Bowey is going to be a great player but it's unfair to compare him to Caleb Daniels.

I also question whether he can handball on his left. There were 3 or 4 occasions where he should've handballed on his left side but he had to stop and rotate all around to use his right. Am I the only one that noticed this?

"Oh i've no idea what you're talking about when you directly responded to my post! I'm just here to check if anyone else noticed Bowey doesn't seem very good at handballing left-handed while riding a unicycle backwards"

Yes.

You're also probably the only who really gives a s**t about it too.

lol you guys are strangely defensive. You're probably the same guys that said Watts would be the next riewoldt, Bate the next Pavlich, Tapscott the next Josh Hunt, Morton the next new age hybrid wingman, Strauss the next Nigel Lappin, Toumpas the next best thing, Blease the next Brent Harvey, Sylvia the next Riccuito, Hogan the next Jono Brown etc. The list goes on with guys like Petterd, Weideman etc.

So just a reminder to pump the brakes after only 3 games from Bowey.

Let's just wait and see and check back in a couple of years.

lol you guys are strangely defensive. You're probably the same guys that said Watts would be the next riewoldt, Bate the next Pavlich, Tapscott the next Josh Hunt, Morton the next new age hybrid wingman, Strauss the next Nigel Lappin, Toumpas the next best thing, Blease the next Brent Harvey, Sylvia the next Riccuito, Hogan the next Jono Brown etc. The list goes on with guys like Petterd, Weideman etc.

Find one person who said Bowey will be as good as Daniel. If you can't find one please never post here again thanks.

God help us!

I mean you’re labelling the Dees pre- and post-Roos and particularly post-Taylor. The only one of the above who ‘developed’ since Roos arrived was Hoges and on a whole of career he played his best/most consistent footy for us.

Writing a player off based on what is ultimately some low-level decision making after only 3 games is just as bad.

Kid’s got it. Will he be a superstar? Who knows. But can he play? Absolutely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually thought he was very ordinary last night, didn't see much of the quality attacking disposals we saw in the first two weeks. Not alone however and no way I'm dropping him.

So he had 192 metres gained from those 16 possessions which is an average of 12 metres gained per possession. He also had 3 clangers. But what's the point of spitting DE% stats when most of his kicks are chip passes or long down the line kicks all of which any amateur footy player can hit?

So he had 192 metres gained from those 16 possessions which is an average of 12 metres gained per possession. He also had 3 clangers. But what's the point of spitting DE% stats when most of his kicks are chip passes or long down the line kicks all of which any amateur footy player can hit?
Nice try, Michael Hibberd

Nothing fazes him, so calm, little things in his game that most 7 gamers wouldn't do, like know the boundary line is his friend when being tackled, doesn't cough up the ball and panic like most kids would. His kicking is superb but the little things like that really impress me most

Remove this Banner Ad

Back