Profile, thanks to AFLDraftInfo.com:

Height: 185cm
Weight: 75kg
Preferred foot: Right/Dual Sided
Position: Midfield/Wing
Potential: 7.5-8.5/10
Style-like: Nick Dal Santo

Strengths
> Good- very good athleticism across the entire board – good pace off the mark, excellent evasive ability and balance, good running capacity, decent leap – very smooth mover, not a genuine line-breaker, but has the ability to burst into space, weave out of traffic and create space very effectively
> Very good-excellent vision, smarts and decision making ability in and out of traffic – composed with the ball, always seems to have time and is consistently creative
> Good ball winning skills – regularly gets to the drop of the ball (swooping on a loose ball seems to be his trademark method of gathering possessions) - naturally seems more an outside midfielder that can win his own footy and has very good stoppage reading ability – however only averaged 18dpg at TAC Cup level and U18 Championships this year
> Very clean hands
> Versatile and dual sided kick – decent reliability, good-very good weighting and precision, low trajectory, with very good speed through the air and OK depth – capable of having very good hurt factor considering he also gets the ball and uses it in damaging positions

Weaknesses
> Slim, lacks strength and narrow frame
> Seems to play a forward of the ball style/very offensively minded – doesn’t apply much defensive pressure and isn’t a strong tackler - accountability and the defensive side of his game will need tightening up at the next level
> Whilst he was solid at best in the U18 championships and did some very good things he didn’t standout consistently through enough games- some may have concerns that amongst a team of more talented players he takes a back seat role?

Other
> Didn’t see it at U18 Championships level (with 0 goals), but his TAC Cup stats suggest he has good goal kicking ability with 1.4gpg this season
> OK OH mark
> Shouldn’t matter too much given the roles he’ll be playing but he’s at a couple of cm reach disadvantage for his height
> Outstanding BOG TAC Cup GF performance

Overall
Melksham is an very good midfield prospect who is very easy on the eye (to watch play football of course!). Whilst he needs to round of his game in some areas (particularly defensively), he offers undoubted value with an offensive game well suited to AFL with his evasiveness, decision making and kicking hurt factor. I think at best he projects as a similar style of player to Dal Santo as a classy finisher who could look great amongst a midfield with some good stronger bodied, more inside types - potentially a top 50-100 AFL player at best. He is worth a mid-late 1st rounder IMO.

[youtube]VFIxAubvnTc[/youtube]
[youtube]1uKNEw0ZXYw[/youtube]

Re: Jake Melksham

21 November 2009 (in his own words)

The Age Blogs

Draft Dream: the challenge of exams

melksham_jake_280.jpg

As covered by Mitch Duncan in the last Draft Dream blog, the AFL National Draft Camp was everything I expected and more. The week was filled with tiring days, vigorous testing and intense interviews with AFL clubs. I was given the opportunity to speak to the majority of the clubs and eventually become accustomed to the interviewing process.
more

Seems pretty down to earth.
http://blogs.theage.com.au/realfooty/archives/2009/11/draft_dream_the.html

Pick 10 Jake Melsham Calder Cannons 184cm 73kg

Picked who they thought was the best midfield available after having their sights set on Lucas or Moore believing Melksham would be heading to Port Adelaide so they finished in front there by getting the midfielder they rated the best out of the 3 or 4 players identified for pick 10.
Melksham tested well at draft camp with good 20 meter sprint times, a good agility test and a very strong beep test showing he does possess the athletic ability to develop into a good midfielder.
Pace wise he is pretty handy and can burn opponents off and sustain a decent pace but he is not in the lightning quick class so he generally kicks after one bounce on the run.
Skills wise he uses both sides and on his day his kicking can be exceptional but his day has not been every week and he has had a few very poor days as well where he has struggled to hit targets. His kicking action is good enough so there are no problems there and when he is at his best he can pin point long targets.

He simply has to fine tune his game so he consistently chooses better options week in and week out rather than making quick or poor choices by foot and dropping off consistency wise some week.

Melsham played for Vic Metro in the Champ series this year playing midfield and small forward and he had a steady series without doing anything really outstanding. He worked hard and won a bit of the ball in some games but they where also punctuated with some very poor decisions by foot that resulted in a few turnovers at times even when he was not under any great pressure. He was in the better players against Queensland and after a shaky start was good in the second half against WA in the final game. His kicking efficiency of 50% showed he struggled a bit at times. Overall he averaged 18 disposals a game.

He lifted his output a bit in the latter half of the year and finished of with a great game in the TAC Cup grand final where he realised his full potential on the day winning a good number of clearances and using the ball really well including several exceptional 50 meter passes to leading forwards.
It was a big step up from his previous two finals games where he had limited impact with minimal disposals after kicking off the finals series with a pretty good game in week 1.

Now I will mention his clearance work as it has been mentioned in just about every review that he will provide much needed back up for Watson but I have to say he is a different sort of player to Jobe.
Jake tends to win more of his clearances reading the ball off the hands and quickly breaking free rather than reading the ball in close and burrowing in and feeding out. He does attack the contest hard but the greater percentage of his centre bounce clearances are from clear tap work that he has been able to read well directly off the hands and not off the 50/50 hit outs that find the ground.
Given his good read off the hands he should work in well with Ryder who does possess the exceptional ability to hit to advantage.
Melkshams read off the hands does extend to reading other ruckman well and his positioning and ability to move in swiftly is one of his stand outs.
He has pretty clean hands at ground level and is pretty smart by hand in close and does make good decisions at the stoppages around the ground.

He has the ability to play an outside running role and his work rate and endurance allow him to push forward or wide and find space to be the next link in the chain.
Tackling wise he is ok without being outstanding but he does work hard defensively and he is prepared to put on a block or shepherd for his team mates.
He is also a reasonably good mark and can kick goals when he plays forward where his good read off the pack also comes in handy.
There is not a lot of him physically so I would not expect he will play a lot of footy next year but he is a chance to get some senior experience on ability alone. I just don’t expect him to be physically ready to play more than 8 or 9 games at the most.

Jake was in the middle group of midfielders and was picked in the range most expected him to be picked. He has the potential to be an elite midfielder if he can bring his A game most weeks but so far he has struggled to do that with some weeks seeing him struggle to make an impact with limited possessions for a midfielder or other weeks with ordinary kicking. He has not been a massive possession accumulator at TAC Cup level and struggled a little in the division 1 champ games and a couple of the finals this year.
The GF showed what he has to offer at his best. Now he has to prove hen can deliver more consistently a couple of levels up from what he has played.
TAC Cup stats
10 games
Averages
Kicks 11.8 at 60% efficiency
Handball 6.2 at 70% efficiency
Disposals 18 at 70% efficiency
Tackles 2.3
Marks 3.6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to say i am surprised at the number of people in the crystal ball thread that seem to think young Jake is simply going to step into the side and play 22 games this year.
He will have to eat a crap load of protien powder between now and march to pull it off :D

He will have to eat a crap load of protien powder between now and march to pull it off :D

I hear Whomb is already onto that.;)

But seriously, I think he'll have a season like Zaharakis. Get a few games under his belt and then return to the VFL. Oh and win a game off his own boot.:D

I hear Whomb is already onto that.;)
Was waiting for that.

But seriously, I think he'll have a season like Zaharakis. Get a few games under his belt and then return to the VFL.
I was thinking something along those lines, too.

Have to say i am surprised at the number of people in the crystal ball thread that seem to think young Jake is simply going to step into the side and play 22 games this year.

Heh, have to say I concur with this. People seem to have unrealistic expectations of him. Even before the draft people in the know (like yourself) were saying that this years crop weren't AFL ready like some players have been over the last few years. You just need to look at him to realise that, while he is very fit and I believe he had the lowest skin folds at draft camp, he is also very very light.

Also, another factor people are seemingly overlooking is the fact that many reports have said that he was inconsistent during '09. This would indicate that he may need time to develop as skinny inconsistent players generally don't play 15+ games in their first year.

Having said that at his best he looks very skillful so I'd expect he may crack a few senior games unless all of our fringe players really step up next year.

I wouldn't be shocked, but at the same time don't expect him to play that many games. If he does get a game it would mean his form in the VFL would be strong which is exactly what we want of course. Can't see why we can't use him in an outside role until he bulks up a bit.

I agree with most of this.

You would think that last years young fringe players, the like of Zaka, Myers, Houli, Riemers, would be a fair bit further on in their development than him.

I think its all coming from knights saying that all draftees are in contention for round 1 spot. Also i dont think S hill from freo was much bigger on debut (coulda been skinner). However i tend to agree that 5 games for the Melk would be a huge effort, i tend to think he will get a game early under knights to prove himself and get some experience.

I think its all coming from knights saying that all draftees are in contention for round 1 spot. Also i dont think S hill from freo was much bigger on debut (coulda been skinner). However i tend to agree that 5 games for the Melk would be a huge effort, i tend to think he will get a game early under knights to prove himself and get some experience.

Yes but Steve Hill came out of a stronger draft and played senior footy before last year. Despite him being on the small side he was much further developed than Melksham currently is.

Well heeeellllloooooooooooo

Looked the goods.
Altho he didn't finish, knew how to get it and where it should go.
14 contested possessions from a kid with still a bit of muscle to put on, I think we've got a live one here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back