Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Dropped for Brown?

That’s scandalous.

Had a great start to the year... this is really, really poor imo
Has 5 goals in his last 7 games as a KPF.

It's not exactly a shock.

Competition for spots isn't a bad thing. Gives the guy a break from the superhugemassive pressure of performing badly in the AFL, which lets face it, this thread has been popping all week due to his form at that level. He'll find his form and he'll be back.

As for Brown replacing him... well Brown is playing well in the VFL, McKernan is already in the side, and there really aren't that many KPFs left short of swinging Hooker forward (which they didn't do for some reason :shrug: ). I'd say he probably brings some experience and maturity to the forward line as well, although probably not too different from Stewart given his injury history.

Wrong thread !

I hope Stewart kicks a bag in the two's.
Even though I'm a proud Coburg man, he should outscore Coburg given his quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully his form is as simple as getting his confidence up in the VFL, but he's still going to have to learn how to be a #1 forward when he gets back.

If anyone ever doubted how important Joe is to the team, look how the rest of the forward line's output drops off when he's out.

He's suffered from the poor selection of the team - Hooker should never have been moved back, especially when JD went out with injury - It's not like tall forwards have kicked bags against EFC in 2018.

He's suffered from the poor selection of the team - Hooker should never have been moved back, especially when JD went out with injury - It's not like tall forwards have kicked bags against EFC in 2018.
Not unhappy that he moved back, but i don't see why we dont reverse the decision before dropping Stewart.

Still, he’s been dropped for Brown. Not exactly a move in keeong with our younger selection approach of the past few weeks. I’d much rather see the games go into Stewart.
True.

But how long do you excuse under performance simply because he's younger then the alternative?

Agree
He's gone from being 3rd string forward to equal 1st.
And in that time had to cope with some fairly decent defenders.

Would have been a good period for him to work through, as it may happen again in the future.
Stewart v Andrews would have been a good battle of young KP's too.

I think Hooker and Stewart both suffered from JD not being healthy this year, Hooker was ordinary up forward. Hooker is wingman for JD.

Dropped for Brown?

That’s scandalous.

Had a great start to the year... this is really, really poor imo

whilst i don't agree brown is any better i cant find a reason to disagree with Stewart being dropped.

He simply cannot take a contested mark, absolutely blunders set shot on goals and his pressure acts are woeful.

i get why we sent Hooker back, and i much prefer him there.
But with JD out to, Stewart has lost the cover he once had.

Id also like to note we played one of the better defence setups in the comp over the past few years last week. his output was not surprising.

In any event, Hooker having to go back, JD's injury and Stewarts form are all linked.

Was a good game to play him in.

I don't think that the problem is that Stewart is incapable of being effective on the opposition's best defenders.

What that looks like in my mind is him being unable to get separation on the lead (not happening) and being monstered in wrestling matches (also not happening). He's hardly being dominated or even defeated by opponents.

McKernan has basically played as the number 1 tall in the side anyway. Being the player who is regularly closer to goal means that he's getting the attention from the player that an opposition wants to keep closest to goal (who is usually the best 1v1 defender).

I don't think that Stewart has been helped by some of the delivery to him in the last few weeks which is more of a problem because his possession rate has been dropped. We haven't been getting a lot from our half forwards in the last few weeks, particularly close to goal, as we are now defending the ball and the middle of the ground much more aggressively. That's usually the downside of getting numbers to the ball and having the numbers of a 'pressing team'. Most pressing teams don't move the ball forward particularly well.

I am very surprised that it took two weeks of average form to result in such a hard working player to be dropped. To bring in Brown on the back of a poor performance indicates to me that this could be a confidence thing with Stewart more than punishment for form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back