Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think that the problem is that Stewart is incapable of being effective on the opposition's best defenders.

What that looks like in my mind is him being unable to get separation on the lead (not happening) and being monstered in wrestling matches (also not happening). He's hardly being dominated or even defeated by opponents.

McKernan has basically played as the number 1 tall in the side anyway. Being the player who is regularly closer to goal means that he's getting the attention from the player that an opposition wants to keep closest to goal (who is usually the best 1v1 defender).

I don't think that Stewart has been helped by some of the delivery to him in the last few weeks which is more of a problem because his possession rate has been dropped. We haven't been getting a lot from our half forwards in the last few weeks, particularly close to goal, as we are now defending the ball and the middle of the ground much more aggressively. That's usually the downside of getting numbers to the ball and having the numbers of a 'pressing team'. Most pressing teams don't move the ball forward particularly well.

I am very surprised that it took two weeks of average form to result in such a hard working player to be dropped. To bring in Brown on the back of a poor performance indicates to me that this could be a confidence thing with Stewart more than punishment for form.

Agree. When you look at some others in the team, I think it’s fair to say he hasn’t been given much reprieve.

I think he’s actually still looked pretty good when getting his hands on the ball - that hasn’t been happening enough of course.

Have really liked Stewarts work so far but I do wonder where he fits into the picture at times. He is not going to be your number one guy so you are looking at playing at least a two man tall forward line plus Stringer. So then the choice is do you go with Mckernan as your number 3 forward behind an in form Daniher and Jake stringer ? McKernan gives a good contest. Does go well or better than pretty much all the second rucks going around now days but does have too many WTF moments for a lot of peoples liking. It is an issue I have no absolute answer to. Have liked what Stewart gives as the third / sometimes second tall forward. He is mobile and when he has his run up at the correct length his goal kicking is solid. I also like what Mckernan gives as a better second ruck and a forward who will give you a decent contest 90% of the time. Can not play them both if Joe is back.

Incredibly frustrating game. Lead up the ground really well but in the first half seemed to want to play behind inside 50. Second half was better, played in front but failed to convert. Ironically his field kicking was spot on, but he should have kicked 4.

Have really liked Stewarts work so far but I do wonder where he fits into the picture at times. He is not going to be your number one guy so you are looking at playing at least a two man tall forward line plus Stringer. So then the choice is do you go with Mckernan as your number 3 forward behind an in form Daniher and Jake stringer ? McKernan gives a good contest. Does go well or better than pretty much all the second rucks going around now days but does have too many WTF moments for a lot of peoples liking. It is an issue I have no absolute answer to. Have liked what Stewart gives as the third / sometimes second tall forward. He is mobile and when he has his run up at the correct length his goal kicking is solid. I also like what Mckernan gives as a better second ruck and a forward who will give you a decent contest 90% of the time. Can not play them both if Joe is back.

This is a really interesting discussion point. McKernan vs Stewart is not clear cut at all right now. McKernan as you say is better as the second ruck and I definitely prefer him in marking contests as he gives a stronger contest. He seems more obviously to be a legitimate key forward in his gamestyle. Unfortunately on his bad days he also gives frees away like they are going out of style and will often undo his good work with some total brain farts. Has been relatively better in this area so far this year but still not great. Stewart has the mobility advantage and covers more ground and applies better defensive pressure. Its still arguable whether he's got enough to be that second key forward or whether he really just thrives as the third tall. Stewart's goal kicking has been an issue for him this year which I think is largely confidence but its definitely hurt him.

With Stringer coming along and guys like Laverde and Langford as other medium sized options it seems unlikely that we would be willing to play Daniher, McKernan and Stewart together (not entirely impossible but I reckon it would take a few injuries before we'd do it). Hooker coming back up forward remains as an option particularly as we seem to have a plethora of options in that area including some youngsters like Ridley and Francis that are pushing for spots plus Ambrose will be available soon. If Daniher plays with Hooker than I don't think there's much chance for McKernan to stay in the side.

Been terrible today, really bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I'd say terrible, competed well, Hawks defended him really well often having 2 going against him in the air, however he will need to do a lot more to replace Brown in the 1's

Not sure I'd say terrible, competed well, Hawks defended him really well often having 2 going against him in the air, however he will need to do a lot more to replace McKernan in the 1's
FTFY

Not sure I'd say terrible, competed well, Hawks defended him really well often having 2 going against him in the air, however he will need to do a lot more to replace Brown in the 1's
Agree - presented well, went after it in the air and certainly competed and played a role. Not dominant by any stretch, but far from terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, a real gun, as his 32 games in 6 seasons would indicate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not saying he's a gun, but he does the job more often than not at senior level. However he's terrible by foot much like Frawley and they can't afford to carry both for that reason.

I'm not saying he's a gun, but he does the job more often than not at senior level. However he's terrible by foot much like Frawley and they can't afford to carry both for that reason.
No he doesn't. He's awful.

No he doesn't. He's awful.
I disagree. he did a pretty good job on Hawkins in round 2, same with Jenkins last week. As I said, he isn't brilliant but he's AFL standard.

I disagree. he did a pretty good job on Hawkins in round 2, same with Jenkins last week. As I said, he isn't brilliant but he's AFL standard.
He also got smoked by Hipwood and Riewoldt and I can't comment on the round 2 game but given how Hawthorn smashed Adelaide around the contest last week I reckon I could've held Jenkins.

He also got smoked by Hipwood and Riewoldt and I can't comment on the round 2 game but given how Hawthorn smashed Adelaide around the contest last week I reckon I could've held Jenkins.
So he's beaten 2 good opponents and lost to 2 good opponents.

Jim wasn't awful yesterday but he dropped a few marks he should have taken, was out of position a few times when he shouldn't have been and missed at least one goal he could have kicked. He's not coming in on that performance

So he's beaten 2 good opponents and lost to 2 good opponents.
I'd argue beaten 1, lost 2. Jenkins non-result due to the service.

Either way I don't think we're changing our minds and this is a Stewart thread so I'll shut up about a D-Grade Box Hill player.

Wasn't a game you get back into the ones with, I would have thought. Back to his flankerish ways, he just looks a bit sort of peripheral.
I do think that he might be the kind of player to respond well to a slightly unjustified selection in the ones - seems a confidence player who struggles to turn things around by his own. Replaces Brown IMO if he does, unless Hooker goes fwd.

Was better when he was up the ground. Box Hill double teamed him every time he was deep forward. He let it get to him a few times and did not go as hard as he should have. With the ground being pretty damp it was not a great marking day, well not for those who are not always great marks.

Sometimes the coaches create a rod for their own backs and this is a great example.

The VFL can be a difficult place for forwards. Goal kicking stats are generally padded during performances against the bad sides which are usually 10 goal wins.

Now Stewart will have played games against the Hawks and Casey in a dodgy conditions.

McKernan's form has dropped and Brown may or may not decide to work hard against North.

Selection integrity is supposed to be a factor in there somewhere and we'll get stuck with a best 22 key forward playing in the twos.

It's really dumb.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back