Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve seen some comments online that he’s pencilled a 2 year contract with us - hopefully true. If he can build on what he did this year, he will be very important to us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve seen some comments online that he’s pencilled a 2 year contract with us - hopefully true. If he can build on what he did this year, he will be very important to us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
would think he and Stringer hold down the #2 and #3 key forward posts for a couple of years now.
Whoever we get as #1 stop gap, these two provide ample cover for the likes of Eyre & Jones to develop.

If I had to guess - now that Wright is in the door, they probably feel a lot more comfortable lowballing him.

If I had to guess - now that Wright is in the door, they probably feel a lot more comfortable lowballing him.

Hardly makes any sense given that we'll need Stewart for at least 2 years.

I'd say Stewart probably wants the money he'd have been paid if he played the last 2 seasons at something near the level of the improvements which are evident in his game.

Wright isn't on Daniher's money and we've lost a massive chunk out of our cap. Just give him the money before someone else gets in his ear.

Hardly makes any sense given that we'll need Stewart for at least 2 years.

I'd say Stewart probably wants the money he'd have been paid if he played the last 2 seasons at something near the level of the improvements which are evident in his game.

Wright isn't on Daniher's money and we've lost a massive chunk out of our cap. Just give him the money before someone else gets in his ear.
Not sure. But that is my gut feel. They probably feel they have the leverage now because we need him less than we did before we signed Wright.

To be completely honest though, I don't think there would be a huge market out there for James Stewart. Not knocking him, but he is what he is. A soon to be 27 year old who's played 55 games over 8 years, dealt with OP, form slumps etc - all on top of just being an alright footballer.

Of course - another likely scenario is that they're weighing up options regarding the draft. If they do trade up for McDonald (or an equivalent) I could see them offering him one year or letting him walk.

Not sure. But that is my gut feel. They probably feel they have the leverage now because we need him less than we did before we signed Wright.

To be completely honest though, I don't think there would be a huge market out there for James Stewart. Not knocking him, but he is what he is. A soon to be 27 year old who's played 55 games over 8 years, dealt with OP, form slumps etc - all on top of just being an alright footballer.

Of course - another likely scenario is that they're weighing up options regarding the draft. If they do trade up for McDonald (or an equivalent) I could see them offering him one year or letting him walk.

It probably has to be a possibility at this point in time.

It would be beyond stupid to me given that Stewart and Wright will need each other to be most effective.

Haven't we got plenty of cap space and don't we have to spend 95% of it? Seems a no-brainer to pay him slight overs for two years to give us some forward line insurance. Unless of course he's asking Daniher type money.

Haven't we got plenty of cap space and don't we have to spend 95% of it? Seems a no-brainer to pay him slight overs for two years to give us some forward line insurance. Unless of course he's asking Daniher type money.
So front end it and get on with it. I’m being too simple. I’m sure there’s a complexity none of us are privy to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It probably has to be a possibility at this point in time.

It would be beyond stupid to me given that Stewart and Wright will need each other to be most effective.
Say if we did get a McDonald though (just an example) - would you still be of the same opinion? Especially with Brand/Eyre coming along nicely with Jones in the background too.

Say if we did get a McDonald though (just an example) - would you still be of the same opinion? Especially with Brand/Eyre coming along nicely with Jones in the background too.
In my mind Stewart at this juncture is as good a prospect (or better) as any of the others mentioned with the exception of McDonald.

I’d sooner have him as a key forward than Wright if forced to choose. Jones, Brand and Eyre are all speculative and may be years off still.

Yep. It's a tough slog for a kid to play as a key forward in his first 2 years.

Even if we don't need Stewart forward I'd be training him at full back over the summer. The key defensive posts are painfully thin given the fading of Hurley and Hooker and lack of stopping ability of BZT and Francis.

Last edited:
Yep. It's a tough slog for a kid to play as a key forward in his first 2 years.

Even if we don't need Stewart forward I'd be training him at full back over the summer. The key defensive posts are painfully thin given the fading of Hurley and Hooker in lack of stopping ability of BZT and Francis.
He did look a natural in defence this year. That's a handy arrow in the quiver for sure.

Would definitely be money/security. He's 27 and probably never been on much coin. He needs to set him self up as best as possible with this contract as he'll be 30ish by the time the next one comes around. He's worked hard to rehab and get back playing and i think has earned a 2 year deal. A games played trigger for a 3rd year would be fair as well. Money wise i think he'd have to be happy around average wage.

Got a bad feeling we might cut him
If we were going to we should've done it by today, which was the first list lodgement deadline (hence all the re-signings and delistings that were announced today). We can still delist him before the second list lodgement date on Monday, but he'll have missed the first DFA window by then and won't have a lot of time to find a new home – or for us to find a replacement.

I suspect we're keeping him anyway (I certainly want us to and had heard we were going to), it may even already be done and just not announced yet.

If we were going to we should've done it by today, which was the first list lodgement deadline (hence all the re-signings and delistings that were announced today). We can still delist him before the second list lodgement date on Monday, but he'll have missed the first DFA window by then and won't have a lot of time to find a new home – or for us to find a replacement.

I suspect we're keeping him anyway (I certainly want us to and had heard we were going to), it may even already be done and just not announced yet.
Waiting for the time when we need good news

Zaharakis gets a 5 years contract Stewart gets a 1 year contract

Must be too concerned about bankrupting the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back