Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

17 - stewart.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2024 Delisted 2023
My Boy Draft 2023: Claim here

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
He’s not a McKernan replacement, they’re fairly different players. McKernan is a genuine target / contested mark, Stewart better as a running, high leading quasi-flanker.

He and Brown are basically interchangeable, that’s who he’ll have to replace I think. We already have next to no forward marking targets, we can’t drop McKernan.

Agree 100%. The only replacement we have for McKernan is Hooker. I actually don't mind the idea of letting him play forward on return and not be dictated to by an opponent.

However, I'd like to see a revamp of the forward line with Stringer playing more on the ball and Baguely and Brown dropped.

Fanta Stewart Tippa
Hooker McKernan Mosquito

Just to take advantage of Melbourne losing KPDs. Stewart to get on his bike so we can actually transition the ball and the other two talls to spread any zoning defence by taking it in turns to be the decoy/option on the fat side.

I'd play Hooker in defence against the big talls that Brisbane has and consider sending him forward against Collingwood. Though he may be needed for Cox.

If Stringer's foot is ok he's fit enough this year to play more midfield. He's going to have a lot more impact there than Myers or Langford are having. We could drop Guelfi and send McGrath back again. Langford to play more as a wingman and half forward. Myers last chance.

Anyhow, without Hooker, I'd still play Stewart ahead of Brown, just keep him out of the friggen gym and get him running.

Kicked 5 goals in 7 games.

Lets not rewrite history and pretend he wasn't stinking it up for nearly 2 months prior to being dropped.

Except Stewart was 6th in the B and F when he was dropped - Stewart was injured late in the pre-season.

Except Stewart was 6th in the B and F when he was dropped - Stewart was injured late in the pre-season.
Good for James.

Does that mean he hadn't kicked 5 goals in his last 7 games before being dropped?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Agree 100%. The only replacement we have for McKernan is Hooker. I actually don't mind the idea of letting him play forward on return and not be dictated to by an opponent.

However, I'd like to see a revamp of the forward line with Stringer playing more on the ball and Baguely and Brown dropped.

Fanta Stewart Tippa
Hooker McKernan Mosquito

Just to take advantage of Melbourne losing KPDs. Stewart to get on his bike so we can actually transition the ball and the other two talls to spread any zoning defence by taking it in turns to be the decoy/option on the fat side.

I'd play Hooker in defence against the big talls that Brisbane has and consider sending him forward against Collingwood. Though he may be needed for Cox.

If Stringer's foot is ok he's fit enough this year to play more midfield. He's going to have a lot more impact there than Myers or Langford are having. We could drop Guelfi and send McGrath back again. Langford to play more as a wingman and half forward. Myers last chance.

Anyhow, without Hooker, I'd still play Stewart ahead of Brown, just keep him out of the friggen gym and get him running.
probably a little early for Mosquito.

I'd either play McKenna as a quick, defensive forward who can push up to the wing (and gets him away from defence), or give Jok a taste at AFL level with a role up forward to begin with.
Or Langford forward as a HFF/winger.

Good for James.

Does that mean he hadn't kicked 5 goals in his last 7 games before being dropped?

What it shows is the coaches must have rated his performance and then suddenly lost faith - To suggest Stewart was 'stinking it up' is far-fetched.

What it shows is the coaches must have rated his performance and then suddenly lost faith - To suggest Stewart was 'stinking it up' is far-fetched.
How many votes did he get in the rounds leading up to being dropped?

Where did you get the leaderboard from yaco?

Since J Green left, we're short of ginger star power in the forward line. He looked like he could end up being a superstar at times, we should definitely give him another crack.

As long as he puts 18 goals through against Franganistan

Groin injury. So not available for at least two weeks.

Key forward James Stewart will not be available to return to the senior side after suffering an unfortunate groin injury in the VFL side’s dominant victory over Frankston on Sunday.

Stewart booted four goals in the opening half against the Dolphins but wasn’t able to return to the ground after the main break.

“In the second quarter James landed awkwardly. He’s got a small groin strain as a result and he’ll be rehabbed appropriately – we’re looking at at least two weeks to get him back from that.”
https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-04-09/hooker-poised-for-return

Worst time for it to happen to him, just when a spot may have opened up.
True. Although he's been unsighted for a few weeks as well so possibly coming back from one injury and then did something else.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Glad to see that he looks to have ironed out that stutter step from his set shot routine almost entirely. Actually looks very smooth and efficient now.

How many votes did he get in the rounds leading up to being dropped?

Where did you get the leaderboard from yaco?

B and F results from the night which was posted in this forum - Reckon there are one or two members who attended the B and F who may recall the votes.

B and F results from the night which was posted in this forum - Reckon there are one or two members who attended the B and F who may recall the votes.
If you can remember what happened, you weren't there :p

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
If you can remember what happened, you weren't there :p
I definitely remember what happened, I caught up with DapperDon for pre-drinks, then Mercurial89, DERO and jmoo wan joined us and we went to dinner. I noted how I liked how the Colonial Beer cans opened the entire top when opened. Some average to decent food was had, a few more drinks, toilet trips and more drinks. Sheeds had red wine stained teeth and somehow there was a photo with TD in there somewhere.

...and the votes, oh yeah there was a BnF happening somewhere around us.

I definitely remember what happened, I caught up with DapperDon for pre-drinks, then Mercurial89, DERO and jmoo wan joined us and we went to dinner. I noted how I liked how the Colonial Beer cans opened the entire top when opened. Some average to decent food was had, a few more drinks, toilet trips and more drinks. Sheeds had red wine stained teeth and somehow there was a photo with TD in there somewhere.

...and the votes, oh yeah there was a BnF happening somewhere around us.
Good times. I've already got my ticket for this year.

Don't think I can justify the cost this year, am already going on multiple overseas trips and while that is awesome, it means I'll need to sacrifice this night. :(
See how you go when it gets a bit closer...

Back