Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Badly exposed tonight. Poor decisions and execution of skills. Shows that the moneyball defence of him/Laverde etc isn't sustainable. Need to desperately bolster this area at the end of the season.
Explains why we were chasing all sorts of random defenders last off-season. Sooner or later you come up against a forward line you don't have the cover for.

Reckon BZT is arguably our weakest defender but potentially structurally most important - I haven't looked at the stats but it feels like it all works a bit better when he's there.
Zerk's played 4 games this year. 3 of which were without Stewart there. The one time they were together we kept the best forward line of the past 5 years to 2 second half goals

I thought the free kick in the first to CCJ wasn't there. That was a test of strength he won comprehensively, the epitome of a 1v1 contested mark.

There was a bit of jumper tugging but I think there is the usual overreaction here about the defenders when the reality was we were opened up pretty comprehensively by the Tigers through the middle. Hard to tell exactly what the issues was but I suspect it was being thoroughly outworked by the likes of Graham and Bolton.

Stewart's been fine 6 games into life as a defender. He sometimes gets the balance of defence and attack wrong and some of his timing is a bit off but that was to be expected. I'll starting getting annoyed if we're having the same discussion in 5 weeks.

Thought he was unfairly penalised against Richmond. The umpires’ tolerance for infringements was all over the place and I can understand James’ frustration. Having said that, he didn’t play a super game and probably needs to simplify his defensive mechanics a bit.

I thought the free kick in the first to CCJ wasn't there. That was a test of strength he won comprehensively, the epitome of a 1v1 contested mark.
I agree with you. that it was a great battle of strength. A real highlight of 1v1 battles is body craft; gaining position over your opponent and winning the ball.

About the only rule that has come out recently, that even Eleni can pay, is arms wrapped around the opponents body. It seems that in most cases this year, this is paid to the forward over the back.

There was a bit of jumper tugging but I think there is the usual overreaction here about the defenders when the reality was we were opened up pretty comprehensively by the Tigers through the middle. Hard to tell exactly what the issues was but I suspect it was being thoroughly outworked by the likes of Graham and Bolton.

Stewart's been fine 6 games into life as a defender. He sometimes gets the balance of defence and attack wrong and some of his timing is a bit off but that was to be expected. I'll starting getting annoyed if we're having the same discussion in 5 weeks.
I agree with you. that it was a great battle of strength. A real highlight of 1v1 battles is body craft; gaining position over your opponent and winning the ball.

About the only rule that has come out recently, that even Eleni can pay, is arms wrapped around the opponents body. It seems that in most cases this year, this is paid to the forward over the back.
Nah, it was a clear hold. One arm around the waist and the other hand holding the wrist. If we weren't paid that in our goalsquare we would be absolutely ropeable, and rightly so.

The first one though...

Nah, it was a clear hold. One arm around the waist and the other hand holding the wrist. If we weren't paid that in our goalsquare we would be absolutely ropeable, and rightly so.

The first one though...
A was the night, a few glaring decisions were missed... but not this one. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are not talking the same incident I think. I am talking about the short kick from Darling to Kennedy after a Darling mark. Third quarter. Redman was standing on Kennedy and jogged off to the right to pick up someone on the boundary. At that stage Stewart was deep in the goal square. The break down was further up the ground. Kennedy was left by himself to take an uncontested mark.
Anyway like I have said the coach looks like he will cop the odd defensive mistake and back his 6 to be attacking. He is punting on getting the middle of the ground defense up standard so there are limited times where our defenders are unable to play off their men and intercept the ball.
There will be times in all games where defenders lose their men.

Yeah Stewart lost Kennedy on the transition which is fine but you can’t run back to goals and guard grass unless you’re sure you are a loose man.

Redman’s error was worse though picked up Kennedy on transition then left him to guard his own man on the boundary line which didn’t make sense.

The first one though...

Didn’t see the wrist hold but not denying that it may have happened. Disagree that he had an arm round the waist. He reached past CCJ then had his arm locked when CCJ tucked his elbows in they Stewart just used his superior strength to push him out of the way.

Didn’t see the wrist hold but not denying that it may have happened. Disagree that he had an arm round the waist. He reached past CCJ then had his arm locked when CCJ tucked his elbows in they Stewart just used his superior strength to push him out of the way.
They showed it slightly after the goal. Was definitely there

Yeah Stewart lost Kennedy on the transition which is fine but you can’t run back to goals and guard grass unless you’re sure you are a loose man.

Redman’s error was worse though picked up Kennedy on transition then left him to guard his own man on the boundary line which didn’t make sense.
Unless you are the designated goal keeper which a lot of sides do.
The break down was up the ground.

Is Redi likely to take his spot or s9mebody elses?

That Laverde and Stewart both look good, particularly Laverde, has made it unclear how Reid gets into the side.

I think Laverde can play as the small defender given his speed and we'll end up with a shuffling of Hind and Redman onto the wing.

Badly exposed tonight. Poor decisions and execution of skills. Shows that the moneyball defence of him/Laverde etc isn't sustainable. Need to desperately bolster this area at the end of the season.
Or give the bloke some more time given he has under 10 games as a defender. The money ball defense will be fine if the other 12 on the ground get their defense sorted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back