Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet he is above average for contested one on one . Francis below average.
If this referring to the 1v1 stat available on the afl app, my understanding is this is just the number of 1v1s they are in a game, not how many they win/draw/lose.

Stewart's 1v1 loss % is 34, which is pretty poor among KPDs that play regularly.

If this referring to the 1v1 stat available on the afl app, my understanding is this is just the number of 1v1s they are in a game, not how many they win/draw/lose.

Stewart's 1v1 loss % is 34, which is pretty poor among KPDs that play regularly.

Champion Data stats.
Stewart is a lot better than any of our other defenders which is understandable given the rest are under size.
My point is he is a better defensive option on the bigger blokes than Francis
who is pretty ordinary one on one in the same situation.
We really need Ried and Brand / Eyre to be something.

Champion Data stats.
Stewart is a lot better than any of our other defenders which is understandable given the rest are under size.
My point is he is a better defensive option on the bigger blokes than Francis
who is pretty ordinary one on one in the same situation.
We really need Ried and Brand / Eyre to be something.
Honestly I feel like we need the defender version of Peter Wright here. Lewis Young is the one I want haha.

I feel like he’s been ok. Had a bit of a mare yesterday and some dodgy moments along the way but also been pretty good at times. Still think he’s our best option of the gorillas.

More than happy to return him forward if we find a better option.
Yep. Has been decent most weeks and right now is our best option.

He's not a defender at all. He's pretty bad at it
He’s played around 60 games in 9 years, only a few of them in defence. He needs
time to learn the craft or he becomes a depth player. Can’t say he has set the world on fire as a forward, or he would still be playing there. KPD would be career saving for him.

If the guys up the field can learn how to stop the opposition running through them like a hot knife through butter I reckon Stewart is probably going to start looking a whole lot better.
Will help a lot. That is for sure.

Let’s face it, he’s pretty much the only mature big body on the list who’s available to play the role, so he’s there.

The purely negating key defender is one of the more basic gigs there is, so he’s been dropped in there.

The major issue is being on the park. He can’t be relied upon. He might get 15 games this season which is enormous for him. Need to see him play 20 games next season, which is pretty hard to see happening. We have learnt, you can’t persist with permanent injury cases.

Let’s face it, he’s pretty much the only mature big body on the list who’s available to play the role, so he’s there.

The purely negating key defender is one of the more basic gigs there is, so he’s been dropped in there.

The major issue is being on the park. He can’t be relied upon. He might get 15 games this season which is enormous for him. Need to see him play 20 games next season, which is pretty hard to see happening. We have learnt, you can’t persist with permanent injury cases.

He wasn't injured in 2018 we chose not to play him in favour of Mitch Brown.

He had OP in 2019 then return and play out half of 2020 and had a completely unrelated hamstring injury this year.

He's had 2 bad injuries in a career of 8 seasons and it resulted in an interrupted 2 years. That happens to most players.

He wasn't injured in 2018 we chose not to play him in favour of Mitch Brown.

He had OP in 2019 then return and play out half of 2020 and had a completely unrelated hamstring injury this year.

He's had 2 bad injuries in a career of 8 seasons and it resulted in an interrupted 2 years. That happens to most players.

3 years. He’s had significant injury issues in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

And with OP… it really affects the gait and running ability. Highly doubt the hammy is “completely unrelated”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a classic example of how a few things can be true at the same time.

1. Stewart had a bad game.

2. He's been solid all year but has been prone to errors of an inexperienced defender. He needs to improve.

3. He's on track to play 100 quality games in defence if that's where we need him.

And that's today's lesson in syllogistic reasoning. Tomorrow we...

To be fair the ball is going in there at a rate of knots and with absolute ease. The freedom and space we've given the opposition through the middle is laughable, we could have Matty Scarlett down there and we'd still leak goals. Mids, fwds aren't doing enough defensively in fairness to JS.
Having said all that though to me he is a forward who has been forced to become makeshift defender. The experiment is done for mine, hasn't been a total disaster but right now would be of more value as a forward with Jones out.

Been ok but hasn't worked for mine. Has the attributes but worry is poor disposal and decision making that isn't going to improve at his age. Thought him confusing himself and Heaney getting holding the ball and subsequent Sydney goal really changed the game, killed monument. He has a couple a week, so his opponent might not kick the goal but opposition does.

A season really does go for a long time. Long enough for confidence players to have some dark patches and bounce back. The moment where he befuddled himself was a bad look. Tired mind, worried he isn’t good enough.

He has the raw skills, size and athleticism and needs to learn some more craft. I think it’s enough to make it.

As others have said, it would be nice for Stewart if we defended transition and oppo F50 entries were mostly desperate, over-the-shoulder McGrath style hoicks instead of waist high lasers. He might build some flow then and start to believe.

I think he was better as a forward so we are probably playing him at the wrong end of the ground (because normally its the other way around). That said he's probably at the level which is passable for the worst key defender in a team's best 22 if that makes any sense. Unfortunately we really lack options to play on the 200cm type key forwards or resting ruck types. Francis, Laverde, Ridley are all more suited to playing on blokes 195cm or shorter (although Laverde has done alright on the bigger guys all things considered).

There's been a few games this year where it felt like all the goals were coming through Stewart's man. Geelong the most notable where he got absolutely carved up by a hamstrung Jeremy Cameron before then getting beaten by other players including Hawkins.

I'd say we tried two total experiments with Laverde and Stewart back and we got 1/2 to work very well (Laverde). Honestly considering what a shot in the dark both experiments were I reckon that's not a bad result.

Honestly I'm hoping Reid takes the spot sooner rather than later. But even next year may be too soon for him but lets see how he goes.

3 years. He’s had significant injury issues in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

And with OP… it really affects the gait and running ability. Highly doubt the hammy is “completely unrelated”.

You're right, I didn't express myself properly.

He's played something like 30 games during the period. He's on track to play 16 this year.

I think it's a long bow to draw a connection between OP which was sufficiently resolved to enable him to play something like 14 games last year (from about June - he played about 1 month of scratch matches) to a blown up hamstring coming out of pre-season which is when these things tend to happen (on account of increased weights, workloads, etc) which occurred about 9 months later.

It's 3 seasons of interruption but I'd put it down to bad luck as much as being "prone". Everyone blows up a hammy at some point.

You're right, I didn't express myself properly.

He's played something like 30 games during the period. He's on track to play 16 this year.

I think it's a long bow to draw a connection between OP which was sufficiently resolved to enable him to play something like 14 games last year (from about June - he played about 1 month of scratch matches) to a blown up hamstring coming out of pre-season which is when these things tend to happen (on account of increased weights, workloads, etc) which occurred about 9 months later.

It's 3 seasons of interruption but I'd put it down to bad luck as much as being "prone". Everyone blows up a hammy at some point.

Hopefully you’re right. I’m probably sensitive to it after waiting years on Joey and Raz etc.

Yeah, okay, I'll admit to lurking on Blitz to read the occasional training report.

Stewart has been getting glowing reviews for his work so far (both defensive and intercept). Seeing as I am the big boy's only sycophant I think the signs so far are pretty good.

I tend to think his standing in the side is underestimated. That said, there is a difference between being fodder because he is big and tall enough and being good. If he can command KP1 our backline really becomes a thing of beauty and with the promise of only getting better.

Yeah, okay, I'll admit to lurking on Blitz to read the occasional training report.

Stewart has been getting glowing reviews for his work so far (both defensive and intercept). Seeing as I am the big boy's only sycophant I think the signs so far are pretty good.

I tend to think his standing in the side is underestimated. That said, there is a difference between being fodder because he is big and tall enough and being good. If he can command KP1 our backline really becomes a thing of beauty and with the promise of only getting better.
we have form turning forwards into AA key backs :p
so there's that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back