Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

17 - stewart.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2024 Delisted 2023
My Boy Draft 2023: Claim here

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics
So we’re approaching the end of the season and this guy hasn’t renewed a contract with us yet.

Reckon he’s trying to negotiate more than what we’re prepared to give him?

Was great last year and started this year really well also.

Main reason he is not in the side. Not taking the marks he should be as KP forward. Getting his hands on a lot of them but not holding enough of them.

Yep. Said it last year, he gets to the ball but flat hands it with palms of solid rock. Disappointing that little has changed.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Will re-sign in the next few days

Bomber James Stewart playing VFL but set to sign contract extension
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
August 8, 2018 4:48pm

ESSENDON forward James Stewart will sign a new two year deal in coming days despite being shut out of AFL action since Round 11.

The former GWS forward started the season in a blaze of glory with 10 goals in the first four games but gradually faded in form as Shaun McKernan rose in prominence in the Essendon front six.

Stewart has also battled a painful heel injury and will next year have to fight for his spot alongside the resurgent Mitch Brown, Joe Daniher and McKernan, who is certain to sign his own contract extension.

The Bombers have had a deal on the table for some time but Stewart is this week expected to sign a deal worth around $400,000 a season.

His manager Peter Jess told the Herald Sun today: “We are working towards getting it done in the very near future”.

8d86a49a2bc9aeb6a481855905c94374

Essendon's James Stewart

It comes as coach John Worsfold made clear the club’s aggressive attitude as they seek to secure another strong-bodied inside midfielder.

Western Bulldog Mitch Wallis has been offered a new deal at the Dogs but Essendon are interested in a tough clearance winner who has also booted 18 goals this year, kicking at least one goal in all but two of his games.

At the Whitten Oval, Dale Morris will sign a new one-year extension at season’s end as he this week prepares for his 250th senior game.

Morris has been one of the most courageous players in the AFL and also a popular figure at the Dogs, this year returning despite a frayed ACL that could have ended his career.

Both he and coach Luke Beveridge are on the same page about him continuing on but happy to wait until season’s end for a deal for Morris, 36 in December.

The Dogs continue to work on a long-term deal of up to five years for Marcus Bontempelli, and also need to secure free agents Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Liberatore and Jordan Roughead.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/1cf3343ec7c78a1c6ad183a370451660

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
Only 24 and a half compared to brown and mckernan who are 28 soon.

I think he definitely showed last year that he has a lot of improvement to come. Key position players don't come up for trade too often and we need someone around the same age as Joe once mckernan and brown. Are retired

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I reckon its far from over for Stewart. His best years are still ahead of him. Worst case scenario he's KPF/2nd ruck depth which kept McKernan on the list for years without performances that warranted it prior to this year. He's also a perfect age to fit in with Daniher, Stringer, Fantasia and Tippa.

Happy with a 2 year deal and it gives us time to draft and develop a young KPF in the future.

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Interesting little battle we've got next year. Assuming fitness, probably only one of Stewart, McKernan or Brown can be paired alongside Daniher. Each plays a slightly different style of "key forward". I think I'd be inclined to start McKernan. Out of the 3, he also suits playing "deep forward" with Daniher more a CHF, and can play back-up ruck.

scottmclaren

All Australian
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting little battle we've got next year. Assuming fitness, probably only one of Stewart, McKernan or Brown can be paired alongside Daniher. Each plays a slightly different style of "key forward". I think I'd be inclined to start McKernan. Out of the 3, he also suits playing "deep forward" with Daniher more a CHF, and can play back-up ruck.

There are probably games where 3 talls makes sense. Depth and flexibility are required on a good list. If he is starved of opportunity then he may have to learn some defence. Brown gets the nod over Dea because Brown can compete at either end.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I reckon this guy is better than he actually thinks he is, a lot of the time. And yet, when he plays with self-belief, or just gets 'in the moment' in a game he really does have all of the tools. Even contested marking.
Needs to get that stutter step the * out of his game though...

Needs to get that stutter step the **** out of his game though...
I don't get this comment. He used it last year when things were going well and Josh Kennedy uses it and he's pretty handy in front of goal.

If he's comfortable doing it he should keep going.

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
I don't get this comment. He used it last year when things were going well and Josh Kennedy uses it and he's pretty handy in front of goal.

Exactly. Would we rather him do the stutter step and nail them or do the run-up normally and spray them?

Jul 17, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon

Why don't they just get a DVD of how Tony Lockett used to do his set shots and copy it?? It's not rocket surgery! Can't believe assistant coaches get $200k + per year and don't sit Stewart/Laverde down and show them how Lockett/Dunstall did it.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

Exactly. Would we rather him do the stutter step and nail them or do the run-up normally and spray them?
It just seems to have gotten more and more pronounced, with ever diminishing returns. I don't think it's working for him honestly .

It just seems to have gotten more and more pronounced, with ever diminishing returns. I don't think it's working for him honestly .
Fair enough mate. I haven't seen him for awhile so was unaware it's become more pronounced.

How we going to fit Stewart with Daniher,Brown,McKernan
Stewart, Daniher, Stringer. Smack hasn't signed yet, isn't guaranteed with us just yet. Stewart is also younger than the other two as well

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Fair enough mate. I haven't seen him for awhile so was unaware it's become more pronounced.
I want to finish his shot for him, like with someone struggling to finish a sentence with a verbal stutter. He started snapping yesterday from negligible angles, sort of like Joe when the yips were really in effect (snap was effective though)

I want to finish his shot for him, like with someone struggling to finish a sentence with a verbal stutter. He started snapping yesterday from negligible angles, sort of like Joe when the yips were really in effect (snap was effective though)
Negligible? Please, was only five metre from the boundary.

Back