Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Stewart had a disappointing season but statistically, in what everyone agreed was Smack's best, the numbers barely differentiate. 0.7 more disposals, 0.6 more marks, 0.2 more goals, 0.2 more contested marks, 0.4 marks inside 50. He also edged Brown on most stats too. He has every chance to win his place back for round 1.

Stewart works well up the ground, if he can get his contested marking and physicality up then I think he's got plenty of upside.

Smack is probably a bit more aggressive at marking contests and has a bit of x-factor about him that Stewart doesn't quite have.

Stewart had a disappointing season but statistically, in what everyone agreed was Smack's best, the numbers barely differentiate. 0.7 more disposals, 0.6 more marks, 0.2 more goals, 0.2 more contested marks, 0.4 marks inside 50. He also edged Brown on most stats too. He has every chance to win his place back for round 1.
What about disposal efficiency?

If your going to compare both seasons, you need to take into consideration that Stewart played his better games along side Daniher and Hooker. Smack was the main forward target when he played. So if you look at Stewart's stats before Daniher being sidelined and after, you get a different picture when comparing them to McKernan's stats.

Last edited:
He was certainly a better set shot in 2017 I think that much we can agree on. He lost his confidence after the first few months. Ironically I take a lot of confidence from how McKernan turned things around for himself. I think Stewart can do the same.

well i personally can't cause I made a post at the end of 2017 saying he needed to be a better set shot because his whole career has shown him to be an average converter to that point. it's not like his woes last season was abnormal for him. 2017 was the abnormal performance.

Year Team GL BH
2013 Greater Western Sydney 0 0
2014 Greater Western Sydney 3 4
2015 Greater Western Sydney 15 4
2016 Greater Western Sydney 0 1
2017 Essendon 22 16
2018 Essendon 15 13

2017 is indeed the one year that he was notably better than 50/50, but not impressively, and given his prior history it was pretty hopeful to think he had improved. of course he bounced right back last season. he may have seasons that are noticeably better than 50/50, and seasons where he is too far below 50/50, but on the whole, I see no reason not to think of him as a 50/50 chance, and this hasn't just happened.

I should probably try to find his NEAFL stats to see if they line up

The differences in goals, contested marks and marks inside 50 aren't insignificant when you look at the percentages.

Think he’ll be hard pressed to be best 22 this year. If Daniher is fit then Smack and Stringer are better compliments to JD. May need one of those to be injured to get consistent games.

Good player at his best, just a question of structure.

well i personally can't cause I made a post at the end of 2017 saying he needed to be a better set shot because his whole career has shown him to be an average converter to that point. it's not like his woes last season was abnormal for him. 2017 was the abnormal performance.

Year Team GL BH
2013 Greater Western Sydney 0 0
2014 Greater Western Sydney 3 4
2015 Greater Western Sydney 15 4
2016 Greater Western Sydney 0 1
2017 Essendon 22 16
2018 Essendon 15 13

2017 is indeed the one year that he was notably better than 50/50, but not impressively, and given his prior history it was pretty hopeful to think he had improved. of course he bounced right back last season. he may have seasons that are noticeably better than 50/50, and seasons where he is too far below 50/50, but on the whole, I see no reason not to think of him as a 50/50 chance, and this hasn't just happened.

I should probably try to find his NEAFL stats to see if they line up
Bit of a notable accuracy differential from 2015 season to 2017. Omitting 2016. I bet that is when he developed the run up yips.

The differences in goals, contested marks and marks inside 50 aren't insignificant when you look at the percentages.
16 in 10 and 15 in 11 is barely anything in terms of goals. 30 goals vs 34 goals over 22? 28 contested marks compared to 31? That's insignificant in a year where Stewart performed below expectations and McKernan above them.

16 in 10 and 15 in 11 is barely anything in terms of goals. 30 goals vs 34 goals over 22? 28 contested marks compared to 31? That's insignificant in a year where Stewart performed below expectations and McKernan above them.

Mckernan really only played 9 games though when you consider he got injured early in one.. You keep saying it was below expectations for Stewart. What evidence is there to support this?

Mckernan really only played 9 games though when you consider he got injured early in one.. You keep saying it was below expectations for Stewart. What evidence is there to support this?
We were all expecting him to be best 22 for the entire year due to his previous year and improve on his output. He got dropped midway through the year and didn't show fantastic form in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still get the feeling that Daniher will take a while to get back into the side. Stewart needs to lose weight not bulk up. I believe his impact on the team last year was worse because he hit the gym hard over the summer and came back noticeably bigger. His best role is using his running power matched with 198cm. Get him up and down the wings and we have a very tall player to work through. This is key to moving the ball fast. Stewart to play as CHF. McKernan showed great form last year as a FF/power forward.

Playing both of those two in their optimum roles plus Stringer playing minutes in the forward line, plus 2 dangerous smalls, Baguely in a defensive role and Laverde and/or Langford rotating through the middle and forward line. That is a finals-worthy forward line, that still has Daniher up its sleeve. If Stringer's fitness is up to midfield level, then we can replace Baguley with Daniher and play Stewart like a flanker and Daniher as CHF.

Still get the feeling that Daniher will take a while to get back into the side. Stewart needs to lose weight not bulk up. I believe his impact on the team last year was worse because he hit the gym hard over the summer and came back noticeably bigger. His best role is using his running power matched with 198cm. Get him up and down the wings and we have a very tall player to work through. This is key to moving the ball fast. Stewart to play as CHF. McKernan showed great form last year as a FF/power forward.

Playing both of those two in their optimum roles plus Stringer playing minutes in the forward line, plus 2 dangerous smalls, Baguely in a defensive role and Laverde and/or Langford rotating through the middle and forward line. That is a finals-worthy forward line, that still has Daniher up its sleeve. If Stringer's fitness is up to midfield level, then we can replace Baguley with Daniher and play Stewart like a flanker and Daniher as CHF.
I’m sold

I have to disagree.

Stewart struggled last year with the added responsibility and change of role, not because of his added weight. It's evident by his good start to the season. It's not like he's carrying that much extra weight.

I don't.

He'll be straight back in.

I dont know. OP is huge. We don't see it so often anymore because they manage their loads so much better. However, I know a few guys who had it back in the day and it wrecked his brother's career. He is still ginger now. Personally, I don't rule out him never really getting back to 100% fitness. I am expecting that he wont hit full stride before the end of this preseason. If he does then yippee ei ay .. BONUS!

Meh, Hepp got over his pre-draft OP issues pretty quickl!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wasn’t that a rumour spread by the Essendon mafia so he slid to our pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back