Past #17: Jasper Pittard - delisted after 33 NM games/5 NM goals - thanks Jasper

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a while since we had any Port types drop by telling us how crap he is.
To be fair a lot loved him but were frustrated with him. He is playing a different type of game now. It's like he's had shot of confidence

and little things like that is why the players love Shaw.

I’ve gotta come clean.

Watching Port games over the past couple of years I could see why their supporters had Jasper as their whipping boy, he always tried to do too much with the pill and inevitably turned it over, so when we recruited him I cringed a little.

But seeing him every week now and how Shaw (as backline coach) harnessed his skill set from preseason just proves the instructions by the Port coaches actually put him in those failing situations.

If there’s ever a snapshot of how Shaw sees the individual’s skill set needed to fit the team narrative then Jasper is the man - he’s been absolutely brilliant. Shaw is a bloody astute coach!
At Port he played under a coach with a rigid, over complicated game plan that didn't take into account individual players' strengths. He essentially had the confidence and flair coached out of him. This is why Port will be a preliminary final calibre team at best while Hinkley is in charge.

Sound familiar?

Mismatched the entire game, looked visibly frustrated himself, didn't seem like anything suited him.

Worst game of the year for him and it was more the strategy that caused it, not Pittard himself, he still had a crack.
That’s what happens when McMillan is brought into that back 6. The whole balance gets thrown out.

We have had a well balanced and well functioning backline and we decide to throw that out to bring a player back who was hardly killing it in the VFL and was actually terrible last week against Sandy.

I don’t know who made the call on this one, but in hindsight, what a utensil up to mess with something that was working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We dropped Durdin and had Pittard playing on Stringer lol
Pittard at 186 cm and 84kg should never have to play on the 3rd tall 190+ cm, 90+ kg types.

Been in such good form playing as a mid defender playing on mid size forwards, dropping in front of tall one-on-ones to mark, stopping his opponent and providing drive.

He got pushed fair and square in the back by one of Essendon's tall forwards in one marking contest but umpires often let that go when the guy pushing is bigger - "used his strength, no push, that's all" kind of BS.

Really bad use of Jasper yesterday. Hopefully Shaw learns quickly.

He's super brave. Not afraid to do the team thing. Somehow finds himself in all or nothing situations and sometimes it ends up a bust. Can't fault him too much in his first half against hawthorn.

Pittard has been a big surprise for me, I thought he was a soft outside flaky type at Port. Never realised how good his intercept marking was or his defensive accountability.

Had the odd brain fade that hurts but he won’t die wondering. Get the feeling with a full preseason he’ll take his game to another level next year

Shoutouts to Bruce 'I get the feeling but I'll say this as if it were a statement without facts' McAvaney who said Pittard's season has been quote; "Okay"

Bullshit it's just been 'okay'. He's been great. Holds himself accountable and stands tall when he needs to, his intercept marks are the perfect replacement for Wright.

You noticed him on the night. When you notice a defender watching at the ground then you know he’s having a good night.

Defending, decision making and most importantly kicking was top notch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back