Past #17: Lachie Young - NM trade #63 for LY in '20 trade period - delisted end '23 - 39 NM games / 1 NM goal - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

Just needs to nail his kicking and decision making. I still think the majority of his turnovers were technically good kicks to our own players it's just that they often had an opposition player in a better position. IMO a mix of positional change, club change, not everyone being on the same plan gameplan wise, and being too used to the 'speed' of the VFL were the main factors there.

No guarantees that even once he adjusts to all those things that he'll fix his issues, but I just think that with his build and athletic profile he has a pretty good chance of making himself a very handy player. Tenacious and courageous as well. Didn't drop his head when he was ******* up, and he backed into plenty of packs going for intercept marks. Lot of good qualities there.

if Luke McDonald taught me anything it's that just because a guy turns it over a lot, doesn't mean he can't kick.

Just needs to nail his kicking and decision making. I still think the majority of his turnovers were technically good kicks to our own players it's just that they often had an opposition player in a better position. IMO a mix of positional change, club change, not everyone being on the same plan gameplan wise, and being too used to the 'speed' of the VFL were the main factors there.

No guarantees that even once he adjusts to all those things that he'll fix his issues, but I just think that with his build and athletic profile he has a pretty good chance of making himself a very handy player. Tenacious and courageous as well. Didn't drop his head when he was ******* up, and he backed into plenty of packs going for intercept marks. Lot of good qualities there.
Often his turnovers were caused by our player being stagnant instead of attacking the ball and taking it as high and as far in front as possible. Same thing often happens to Atley too.

I don’t see it with Lachie. He isn’t going to fit in our back 6 because his one on one defending isn’t all the crash hot and in all likelihood he isn’t going to make it as a wingman because he doesn’t accumulate the footy that well.

I know Young is contracted, but personally I’d much prefer to keep Dumont on the list. Will be happy if I’m proven wrong long term though.

Yeah same here - was given ample opportunity to cement his place in the team.
Was invisible in most matches and when he go it he turned it over quite a bit.

Going to be a few of the halfbacks coming out of contract next in young , atu , Hayden.
It’ll be game to on to put their best foot forward

think they stuffed up moving him to the wing but Issue is we have Boner Atu Young and Hayden all almost the exact same player. They just arent amazing defenders but will play that similar back pocket position. Think of all 4 young is probably the better defender however he has had more experience there compared to the other 3. as mentioned will be a fight between the other 3 to keep their spot end of season. This is why i dont see Ham getting a list spot as he adds another of the same to that group

Really interested to see how he goes with a full preseason with new fitness staff and is allowed to settle as a defender. His biggest issues this year was his slighter build, his decision-making and being a bit unsettled switching between wing and hb. Add some weight to his frame, some extra fitness and let him settle as that intercepting medium defender ala Easton Wood (dog posters likened him to Easton) and he can be best 22 in my opinion. Has good height, leg speed, contested work, brave, decent footy smarts, is generally a neat kick and is a solid mark, so plenty to work with.

I'd persist a bit longer.

Good mover, 190cm and technically a good kick.

I think he just needs a bit of presence out there. A pack crunching spoil, run down tackle, hard shepherd.

If he gets a bit if mongrel in him, then at very least he is handy depth across wing/defence.
I'd persist to the end of next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if we could turn him into the intercepting defender north's been crying out for. Decent enough player with a leap but just inexperienced. I just don't see him getting regular games in the 22 which he desperately needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back