Senior 17. Lawson Humphries (2023 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

With Pick 63 in the 2023 National Draft Geelong have selected:

Lawson Humphries - From the Pilbera I think.

Wells smokey is in again!!

GO Catters

Get Tyson Stengle and Stokesy mentoring him asap

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shifter said he killed in the WA combine. ..?

He ran 6:57 in the 2km, which isn’t anything special but WA seemed to have slower times than the rest of the country, so maybe there was something going on.

Ran 3.00sec in the 20m sprint and 8.28sec in the agility.

Here’s Shifter’s write up on him:

Lawson Humphries
State: Western Australia
State League Club: Swan Districts
Community Club: Wickham Wolves
Date of Birth: 24/04/03
Height: 182cm

Medium-sized midfielder from the Pilbara in the north of Western Australia who moved to Hale School in Perth to pursue his education and football. Formerly a member of the Flying Boomerangs program, he has progressed over three years at Swan Districts from the under 18s and reserves to senior football this year. Made his senior debut in Round 8 and averaged 15.8 disposals across nine matches in a promising start to his senior career. Showed very good athletic traits at the state Draft Combine recording 3.00 seconds on the 20m sprint and 8.28 seconds on the agility test.

Those highlights are very impressive - especially at the end! Reminds me a bit of Isaac Quaynor

Wells has a habit of leaving the best till last... yet again.
Lawson is an exciting player with some X-Factor about him
Plays like a Zippy Evasive Small Forward, except he ain't small
Has the ability to cause a miss match and the confidence to exploit it.
Looking forward to his debut on the big stage.

Love that wells selected a variety of talent this draft
Players f all Sizes Ages Speed Strength and Skills.
All bring something different to the team
Early picks were Key position to rebuild a strong spine.
Later picks were a diverse bunch of spot fillers
All showed potential to make it at AFL level
Some will be ready next season. Others need time.
You can bet there is a smokey if not 2 or more.

I thought I’d just jump in and say congrats to Lawson gettin picked up by the Cats. As a note he plays cricket for our local cricket club.

Lawson is my young son’s favourite footy player and we went to watch him play in the WAFL most weeks This season. Initially in the Reserves then in the League. He dominated in the reserves most weeks so we couldn’t understand why he wasn’t playing Seniors earlier. When he got his chance in the Seniors he played really well and was ave close to 20 possies a week. He played mainly back pocket and back flank and loves to go for a run and lay a hard tackle.

He also played in the Swans Dists Reserves grade WAFL premiership team as he was able to drop back after playing enough games early in the season, he did get knocked out in the last qtr of the GF but still played well in a more defensive role than his normal free running defender role.

His skills are great both sides of his body and will kick on his left if running left and kick on his right if running to his right - can kick at least 45m on either foot So not sure which one is natural!

He’s a real positive kid and I Really hope he goes well and has a great career.

He ran 6:57 in the 2km, which isn’t anything special but WA seemed to have slower times than the rest of the country, so maybe there was something going on.

Ran 3.00sec in the 20m sprint and 8.28sec in the agility.

Here’s Shifter’s write up on him:

Lawson Humphries
State: Western Australia
State League Club: Swan Districts
Community Club: Wickham Wolves
Date of Birth: 24/04/03
Height: 182cm

Medium-sized midfielder from the Pilbara in the north of Western Australia who moved to Hale School in Perth to pursue his education and football. Formerly a member of the Flying Boomerangs program, he has progressed over three years at Swan Districts from the under 18s and reserves to senior football this year. Made his senior debut in Round 8 and averaged 15.8 disposals across nine matches in a promising start to his senior career. Showed very good athletic traits at the state Draft Combine recording 3.00 seconds on the 20m sprint and 8.28 seconds on the agility test.

Doesnt really sync with the way he was saying he was impressed but lets see what he is like in a pro system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back