Past #17: Mitchell Hibberd - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Mitch

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know how he's looking in games? Awareness, damage with disposal, running both ways etc?

His two way running is elite..,the 3 games I’ve watched he has got disposals everywhere around the ground while his opponent has had limited impact. Handballing in tight is really good. Short kicking still a bit average but longer kicking has improved significantly

Seemed like he never got a decent look in before being delisted, due to injuries and whatnot, looks like he has worked hard on his game, and been relatively injury free too, I wouldn't be against giving him a 2nd crack, if he was available late in the draft, assuming no one else grabs him earlier.

Equal 7th in the JJ Liston. Had to share a heap of votes with Wheeler, Meese and Marcon.

Also came equal with ex north listed Midfielder Will Fordham.

I've been pumping his tyres up here but that's not really an compelling "re-enter the AFL" result is it?

Will be interested in his club B&F placing.

I've been pumping his tyres up here but that's not really an compelling "re-enter the AFL" result is it?

Will be interested in his club B&F placing.

I think Williamstown had the 2nd highest vote tally, with the most number of different players getting votes. So probably had a lot of games where could have got 3 but ended up with 1 vote.

Will be interesting to see if there is any interest come november. I could see Essendon or Sydney going after him for more inside grunt.

A Williamstown watcher from the draft board has an opposing view on Hibberd.
Mitch Hibberd is an interesting one. He's played well, and Bob's up at important moments. However I get a Matthew Panos vibe from Hibberd. He plays as a big inside mid at VFL level, and uses his size to advantage.

However, I don't think he can play the same role at AFL level. He doesn't have fast enough hands or decision making to make the step up IMO. And he is not clean, skilled or composed enough to play another, more outside role at AFL level. He reminds me of current Brad Ebert without the contested marking (supremely fit and hard at it, but has lost a yard of pace and hand/decision speed).

It was an interesting comparison between Ahern and and Hibberd earlier in the year when our VFL team played Willy, they both played as centre square mids and Hibberd gave him a bath and was probably best man on the ground. And boy do we rate Ahern, gun, superstar etc etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was pretty stiff not to be best on ground. Hard to win it in a losing side. Had 24 disposals and 4 tackles. 4 more disposals than anyone else on the ground.

His kicking was a bit hit and miss but some of his handballs inside the contest were Cunnington like

It was an interesting comparison between Ahern and and Hibberd earlier in the year when our VFL team played Willy, they both played as centre square mids and Hibberd gave him a bath and was probably best man on the ground. And boy do we rate Ahern, gun, superstar etc etc.

A guy with a couple of elite traits is generally going to be a better bet at AFL level than someone who is good at a number of things without being elite at any.

For all of Ahern's shortcomings, he is an absolutely elite user and decision-maker. What is Hibberd's point of difference?

A guy with a couple of elite traits is generally going to be a better bet at AFL level than someone who is good at a number of things without being elite at any.

For all of Ahern's shortcomings, he is an absolutely elite user and decision-maker. What is Hibberd's point of difference?

Not too many big bodied 190+cm midfielders that have truly elite running capacity like he does.

What is Hibberd's point of difference?

He gets the ball.

Put a ball between Ahern & Hibberd, and I wouldn't bet money on Ahern winning it more times.

Mitch's issue is kicking.

For all of Ahern's shortcomings, he is an absolutely elite user and decision-maker. What is Hibberd's
Perhaps the fact that if he plays on these guns, elites, he comfortably beats them. Done it all year. That is a reasonable attribute, beat your opposition player, actually win the contest and win the ball. And do it week in, week out.

In the bests for the 3 finals that Willy played in and most touches of any player ( mostly contested) in the grand final complements being named in the VFL team of the year. A very good season.

Perhaps the fact that if he plays on these guns, elites, he comfortably beats them. Done it all year. That is a reasonable attribute, beat your opposition player, actually win the contest and win the ball. And do it week in, week out.

Yeah I'm not saying Mitch can't play or that he doesn't deserve another shot at AFL level. More that assessing him vs Ahern as AFL propects based purely on a head to head match up isn't necessarily accurate.

Given inside taggers like De Boer and Hewett are in vogue, I suspect clubs will look closely at any bigger bodied mid with endurance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back