17 round season

Remove this Banner Ad

Idiotic from the AFL. No thoughts for player safety at all. The fact that they still haven't called off round one is incredibly stupid and just highlights the incompetence of Gillon McLachlan. One player has it without showing symptoms and plays the season is not only off, but a bunch more players will be highly likely to contract the disease. Just cancel the season for player safety. I love footy so much but it's just so dangerous to play it this season. It's a full contact sport it just won't work in the midst of a pandemic.

Last edited:
If we get 17 in it won't be footy as we know it either.

Might not be bad to shake it up a bit.

Shorter games etc

Why are they trying to get this to work?

Money

Shorter games etc

Money
In their 2019 financial report north Melbourne had $50k in the bank. What are the chances they can service even half their 46 million costs without the season going ahead? I can see why they are working on a way to play games. The whole industry will be financially crippled. I’m going to wait and see whether or not we should label them reckless. They haven’t yet played a single game or out anyone at risk yet. I think gil is just trying to keep options open for games. He was fairly straight down the line when asked hard questions.

would someone please think about Gilligans wallet. his bonuses are highly linked to attendance numbers. poor guy is gonna have to cut back on only 3-4 million this year
Gil was straight up in suggesting he would take a pay cut as likely the players will. Everyone will have to.

In their 2019 financial report north Melbourne had $50k in the bank. What are the chances they can service even half their 46 million costs without the season going ahead? I can see why they are working on a way to play games. The whole industry will be financially crippled. I’m going to wait and see whether or not we should label them reckless. They haven’t yet played a single game or out anyone at risk yet. I think gil is just trying to keep options open for games. He was fairly straight down the line when asked hard questions.
Yeah they need the money coming in like just about everyone

Gil was straight up in suggesting he would take a pay cut as likely the players will. Everyone will have to.
I know if you earn more you spend more and you borrow more and have bigger debts to service but there are certainly people at AFL House that could take pay cuts to ensure those at the bottom end don't go broke.
Some players as well and club officials of course.

I'm sure a lot of "non essentials" from the bottom end will just get shed which is bullshit but also unfortunately reality.

Shorter games etc

Money
I think 17 games per season is the fairest way to play a season of football, so there could be some good come out of this
I also think shorter games is a good idea too

The money side of it isn’t just about Gil & friends, as many want to believe
Some clubs are going to be lucky to get through this.

Those whinging about Jeff asking people to still buy their membership “if they are in a position to do so” would be the most vocal about any club that doesn’t get through this.

But I still think that we won’t get a season of football in this year

Call it off
This decision is a non decision
Why would the season not be delayed?
The situation is now not in a few months time
Why call it off now? These are people's livings you are talking about.

Imagine if every enterprise decided to call it off now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Idiotic from the AFL. No thoughts for player safety at all. The fact that they still haven't called off round one is incredibly stupid and just highlights the incompetence of Gillon McLachlan. One player has it without showing symptoms and plays the season is not only off, but a bunch more players will be highly likely to contract the disease. Just cancel the season for player safety. I love footy so much but it's just so dangerous to play it this season. It's a full contact sport it just won't work in the midst of a pandemic.
The reality is though that a bunch of extremely fit 20 and 30 year old males are essentially a 0% risk of dying from covid-19 (the mean age of fatalities in Italy is 81)

Limiting them playing to prevent further community transmission is another issue altogether of course but the risk to the players themselves is essentially zero.

The reality is though that a bunch of extremely fit 20 and 30 year old males are essentially a 0% risk of dying from covid-19 (the mean age of fatalities in Italy is 81)
What about the risk to their families?

Yes, as I said that would come under community transition.

The post only referenced player safety though which I took to mean the actual risk to the players health.
Yes, but the decision is not being made based solely on the player's welfare, so it's a moot point

Yes, but the decision is not being made based solely on the player's welfare, so it's a moot point
Read above
Simon said “players themselves”
He was not talking about players families, he was talking solely about the players
So the ‘moot point’ in this case is their families

The quicker the Govt act and force us into self isolation the better. Take it out of the empolyers hand! Feeze the banks & bills in this period.
Players are a low risk concern so are most of us, but there parents and kids are a different story. It's inevitable one of the players will get the virus while they live in the community.
I think the AFL are waiting for the state Govt lockdown before shutting down shop!
You would assume they were told we all face a lockdown for a period of time.
They now have plenty of wiggle room for a season to happen it was a smart play for now.

Last edited:
Im wondering if they try to play they can argue they tried to fill the TV rights deal contract ???
That & if the gov force a lock down then the AFL can put their hands in the air saying “it’s not our fault”
A lot harder for anyone to claim compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back