17 round season..

Remove this Banner Ad

It is probably likely that when/if a player tests positive to covid-19, if the competition kicks off this weekend, it will then be called off.

But will that really be necessary?

Surely these are young men, who should all recover reasonably well and providing all of the quarantine protocols are properly followed, why not let the competition continue?

If I am not mistaken, ultimately all of us need to develop some sort of immunity to this virus and starting with young fit athletes and others in their age group or younger, is the way to go, providing it does not happen too quickly and does not put at risk older and immune deficient people.

If the competition continues without undue risk to those more vulnerable, for many of us watching on TV, it will provide a welcome distraction to all of the terrible stuff going on at present. Barring mass infection breakouts at clubs, I think it is reasonable for the competition to continue behind closed doors.

It is probably likely that when/if a player tests positive to covid-19, if the competition kicks off this weekend, it will then be called off.

But will that really be necessary?

Surely these are young men, who should all recover reasonably well and providing all of the quarantine protocols are properly followed, why not let the competition continue?

If I am not mistaken, ultimately all of us need to develop some sort of immunity to this virus and starting with young fit athletes and others in their age group or younger, is the way to go, providing it does not happen too quickly and does not put at risk older and immune deficient people.

If the competition continues without undue risk to those more vulnerable, for many of us watching on TV, it will provide a welcome distraction to all of the terrible stuff going on at present. Barring mass infection breakouts at clubs, I think it is reasonable for the competition to continue behind closed doors.
Horace, they are reducing public gatherings in Europe to 5-10 people now. Why? Because the best way to prevent the virus from spreading faster than our systems can cope with, is to significantly reduce contact between people. It's not the players health that is likely to be the issue; it's the vehicle of them being in close contact with each other poses for the string of people that they contact, and those they contact and so on.

Your proviso is the VERY reason we need to stop it. As much as I want to see the season - hell, even Round 1 - continue, it should be called off ASAP. Europe is suffering because they didn't put in place sufficiently stringent measures quickly enough. We need to learn that lesson.

Re: Quarters 16 mins (+ time on)

I, for one, am a HUGE fan of this!!!

No more dropping 3 goals late in quarters when we attempt to ice the clock.

It's going to be full throttle footy that will definitely give an edge to the quicker teams.

Makes me think that from the 5th week onwards that teams might actually be playing more than one game a week.

Gil clearly said tonight that there would be 153 games - not 17 rounds. Assuming we get through, I reckon that there will be games 7 days a week with teams playing in no particular order and playing 3 or four games every 14 days - hence the shorter games. We'll see double-headers and the notion of "home" games completely out the window.

personally i cant see the competition continuing past a few weeks in any modified concept.

I reckon that Marley Williams might become the first player to be suspended for a team's entire season for an on-field incident since this bloke

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes me think that from the 5th week onwards that teams might actually be playing more than one game a week.
I have heard from a reputable source within one of the clubs that they AFL is going to try to play the first six games in the next four weeks.

They will then play the balance of the season for mid May. So play will be suspended for mid April to mid May at the very least.

Jeebus, so if another player tests positive after day 23 (or any other), then we add another 30 days!
Let's enjoy these first few games people. And if we beat Saints by 10 goals, we may just have nailed the flag!

Pretty much - hard pressed to see how we get through a year. FWIW I reckon any less than the 17 games with minor alterations we should just plonk an * next to the year and move on to 2021.

Pretty much - hard pressed to see how we get through a year. FWIW I reckon any less than the 17 games with minor alterations we should just plonk an * next to the year and move on to 2021.
Can't remember which footy show I saw it on but someone was saying you could call the H&A season done after 13 or 14 games and it's no more compromised than the 22 games we've accepted for the past few decades.

Watching these games, I've only noticed a reduction in scores with the shorter time.

I'm not sure if mentioned earlier, but I think that the game could be shortened more to 14 or 15 minutes. It would allow for mid week games like the Premier league.

We could then get through 34 games in 23 weeks and everyone gets a home and away game against each team. Do away with the unfair fixturing. You then go on to play finals as per normal

More games means more $ for clubs through the increase in games and tv rights.

You might end up with more century goal kickers as a result too.

Worth a punt.

The protocols are changing so quickly and always making things more stringent. 1.5m became 4m2 within 48 hours. 14 day lay off announced less than 24hrs before Game 1 became 30 less than 24hrs after it. Steadily preparing us for the worst.

Don't worry about beating the Saints by 10 goals. Just hope for a good game because I doubt we'll see much of the boys in 2020. Wouldn't be at all surprised if the whole thing is canned by Game 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back