Delisted #17 Will Gould

Remove this Banner Ad

ALYwsQmF.jpg

Will Gould

Player Profile

A hard-running key defender departed South Australian club Glenelg for the Sydney Swans at the 2019 AFL Draft, joining the club via pick 26. Will Gould averaged 21.5 disposals, 4.5 marks and 7.2 rebound 50s per match as South Australia’s captain in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, a glowing campaign resulting in back-to-back All Australian selection. He also averaged 19.7 possessions, 5.2 marks and 6.5 rebound 50s per match for Glenelg in 2019, while he recorded a match-high eight rebound 50s in his side’s SANFL Grand Final victory over Port Adelaide.

Will Gould

DOB: 14 January 2001
DRAFT: 2019
RECRUITED FROM: Glenelg (SANFL)

Last edited:
I’m kind of glad we did the one thing I pleaded for earlier, which is to prioritise talent above all else.

Stephens was a gun. Didn’t fit the bill of the typical inside mid - still took him.

Gould was a gun. Didn’t impress too much at the combine with his fitness - still took him.

Taylor was a gun. Might’ve come with some potential baggage - still took him.

I won’t pretend to have an opinion on Warner, but if the last two drafts are any indication, we are looking for pure footballers who don’t necessarily come with hype or guarantees (Rowbottom) or don’t necessarily fill a need (Taylor, Gould). You can never have too many blokes on the field who know what they’re doing, and that’s a quality seen with diminishing frequency these days.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I’m kind of glad we did the one thing I pleaded for earlier, which is to prioritise talent above all else.

Stephens was a gun. Didn’t fit the bill of the typical inside mid - still took him.

Gould was a gun. Didn’t impress too much at the combine with his fitness - still took him.

Taylor was a gun. Might’ve come with some potential baggage - still took him.

I won’t pretend to have an opinion on Warner, but if the last two drafts are any indication, we are looking for pure footballers who don’t necessarily come with hype or guarantees (Rowbottom) or don’t necessarily fill a need (Taylor, Gould). You can never have too many blokes on the field who know what they’re doing, and that’s a quality seen with diminishing frequency these days.
I so agree. In the last few, about five, drafts we have drafted footballers not basketball ears, soccer players, NRL players, Tenis players. FOOTBALLERS YEY!!! About bloody time. We are building a list of wonderful FOOTBALLERS.

That will win premierships

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
I so agree. In the last few, about five, drafts we have drafted footballers not basketball ears, soccer players, NRL players, Tenis players. FOOTBALLERS YEY!!! About bloody time. We are building a list of wonderful FOOTBALLERS.

That will win premierships

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

That junior soccer player Adam Goodes was such a waste of a pick. Glad we showed him

Would’ve never won a Premiership with a player like him.

As for the last 5 years Heeney comes from a Rugby background and would be playing that if not for us and Florent has a tennis background and played as a junior but hey not like you Wolf to talk crap.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Later info says 98kg. Maybe he did what the Swans asked him to and improved his skin folds. Gonna be a star!
I can't find the article now but he said after the Swans questioned him over his weight he hit the gym and lost 6kgs. That attitude is probably a big reason as to why we drafted him - actually the same thing which happened with Hayward. We told him "we're not sure about your fitness" and then was impressed by the effort he put in to correct it

willym

Debutant
May 21, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
This dude is a jet, I thought he should have been top 10. Kicking is too important these days to overlook someone that has his accuracy + cannon-leg combo. Barring injury I having him slotting straight into the backline and freeing JD to permanently move up onto the wing/half forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
it gets better on replay - the effort he makes to get to errol at high speed
Reminded me of Kieran Jack and the way he used to just go at players when he tackled them. Put them down and make sure they felt it.

We’ve been just quietly adding young players who are as classy and skilful as they are tough and unflinching. They are qualities that have rarely gone hand in hand for us. For most clubs it’s rare but for us especially, as our success has increased our reliance on late picks and rookies who come with a whole lot of ticker but a lack of polish. And the rare high picks we’ve had have all come with great talent but question marks about their physicality and commitment.

Guys like Gould, Blakey and Rowbottom have that same uncompromising toughness that has defined us as a club, but actually have the class to back it up.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I can't find the article now but he said after the Swans questioned him over his weight he hit the gym and lost 6kgs. That attitude is probably a big reason as to why we drafted him - actually the same thing which happened with Hayward. We told him "we're not sure about your fitness" and then was impressed by the effort he put in to correct it

lol that explains the discrepancy in reports- one had him at 106kg and the other 98kg.....ooooh he just lost another 2 kg.

Read somewhere he is a long kick too

Jimbo OZ

Team Captain
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
The South Australian captain weighed in at the combine at 106kg and recorded skinfold measurements of 78 a week after celebrating the Bays’ drought-breaking SANFL premiership.

“There was a little bit of feedback from clubs at the combine,’’ the powerful 18-year-old told The Lowdown AFL Draft Podcast.

“The Swans just said in black and white that I needed to lose a bit of weight and get my skinfolds down to about 55, they were pretty direct with their instructions to get working.”

The Lucindale product, who delivered with precision from the back-half and knocked around some of his more senior opponents in the SANFL, wasted little time and had his skinfolds back down to 60 two weeks later.

And he continued to work in the lead up to the draft, training at the gym of Crows’ tackling coach Warrick Raymond and deciding against attending Glenelg’s off-season trip.

Source: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back