Delisted #17 Will Gould

Remove this Banner Ad

ALYwsQmF.jpg

Will Gould

Player Profile

A hard-running key defender departed South Australian club Glenelg for the Sydney Swans at the 2019 AFL Draft, joining the club via pick 26. Will Gould averaged 21.5 disposals, 4.5 marks and 7.2 rebound 50s per match as South Australia’s captain in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, a glowing campaign resulting in back-to-back All Australian selection. He also averaged 19.7 possessions, 5.2 marks and 6.5 rebound 50s per match for Glenelg in 2019, while he recorded a match-high eight rebound 50s in his side’s SANFL Grand Final victory over Port Adelaide.

Will Gould

DOB: 14 January 2001
DRAFT: 2019
RECRUITED FROM: Glenelg (SANFL)

Last edited:
I'm not one to make outloudish claims but I have a feeling that Will will be our new general of the backline in a few years. The fact that he captained SA and played for Norwood screams cool headedness, leadership and maturity to me. I think hell be our new McVeigh. In an AFL system, his natural abilities will shine through. I'm sure of it. His acceleration, speed and kicking is superb.

Feel free to tag this for future reference 😉 . No pressure Will 😜 .

That junior soccer player Adam Goodes was such a waste of a pick. Glad we showed him

Would’ve never won a Premiership with a player like him.

As for the last 5 years Heeney comes from a Rugby background and would be playing that if not for us and Florent has a tennis background and played as a junior but hey not like you Wolf to talk crap.
All those you mentioned were footballers. They all played junior footy. Goodies took up soccer a but also played Aussie Rules.

LRT is from a Rugby Union background but a natural footballer same as Heeney. I'm taking about their natural ability not the fact they played other sports. Reading the play is so important today and players who come into the system who have no natural footy talent can't do that.

The word Athlete has dominated thinking in the AFL for a long time. Then in more recent times you hear less of that and more of the phrase 'natural footballer', 'innate ability', 'footy brain'. What I am saying is that is the sort of player we have drafted. Ronaldo is a ******* wonderful Soccer player but would be an absolute dog with the oval ball. Michael Jordan was the greatest basketballer we since Magic Johnson but neither would have been any good at footy.

As far as I'm concerned footy requires a player to do much more that get the ball and dispose of it sweetly. You have to know how to avoid tackles, tackle, outmark the other guy, run, kick, handball, bump, kick for goal and judge a run up, know where the opposition players are if you have the ball, be able to read the play to intercept an opponent to tackle and dispossess him/her. People who have never done all this find it difficult because of the multi Facit nature of Aussie Rules. Goodes was brought up playing footy in the back yard. Heeney kicked the footy with a friend who eventually talked him onto having a game and he immediately showed natural ability. LRT similar. He might have been a bit awkward at times but had the ability to read the play. That is natural.

Most people who play other sports do so for a reason. They are better at that sport to Aussie Rules. Aussie Rules us not a local sport for many but even when introduced to the game only a few players have come from other sports and made the transition seemlessly. Certainly Goodes was one But Folau and the other NRL bloke were crap. We had lots of basketball ears playing Aussie Rules in the AFL at one stage. Some, like Stafford, were successful and others, like Chalmers, were not. More often they were not.

Sure some people who played other sports absolutely kill it at AFL level while I think you may find the majority do not.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not one to make outloudish claims but I have a feeling that Will will be our new general of the backline in a few years. The fact that he captained SA and played for Norwood screams cool headedness, leadership and maturity to me. I think hell be our new McVeigh. In an AFL system, his natural abilities will shine through. I'm sure of it. His acceleration, speed and kicking is superb.

Feel free to tag this for future reference . No pressure Will .
He did not play for Norwood. He played for Glenelg. He played in their premiership this year.

Yep.. theres a lot to like about this fella:thumbsu:
as theres a lot to like about all 4 draftees:thumbsu::thumbsu:
and the rookies.. in fact.. theres a lot to like about the entire list and where its going:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Yep.. theres a lot to like about this fella:thumbsu:
as theres a lot to like about all 4 draftees:thumbsu::thumbsu:
and the rookies.. in fact.. theres a lot to like about the entire list and where its going:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

All those you mentioned were footballers. They all played junior footy. Goodies took up soccer a but also played Aussie Rules.

LRT is from a Rugby Union background but a natural footballer same as Heeney. I'm taking about their natural ability not the fact they played other sports. Reading the play is so important today and players who come into the system who have no natural footy talent can't do that.

The word Athlete has dominated thinking in the AFL for a long time. Then in more recent times you hear less of that and more of the phrase 'natural footballer', 'innate ability', 'footy brain'. What I am saying is that is the sort of player we have drafted. Ronaldo is a ******* wonderful Soccer player but would be an absolute dog with the oval ball. Michael Jordan was the greatest basketballer we since Magic Johnson but neither would have been any good at footy.

As far as I'm concerned footy requires a player to do much more that get the ball and dispose of it sweetly. You have to know how to avoid tackles, tackle, outmark the other guy, run, kick, handball, bump, kick for goal and judge a run up, know where the opposition players are if you have the ball, be able to read the play to intercept an opponent to tackle and dispossess him/her. People who have never done all this find it difficult because of the multi Facit nature of Aussie Rules. Goodes was brought up playing footy in the back yard. Heeney kicked the footy with a friend who eventually talked him onto having a game and he immediately showed natural ability. LRT similar. He might have been a bit awkward at times but had the ability to read the play. That is natural.

Most people who play other sports do so for a reason. They are better at that sport to Aussie Rules. Aussie Rules us not a local sport for many but even when introduced to the game only a few players have come from other sports and made the transition seemlessly. Certainly Goodes was one But Folau and the other NRL bloke were crap. We had lots of basketball ears playing Aussie Rules in the AFL at one stage. Some, like Stafford, were successful and others, like Chalmers, were not. More often they were not.

Sure some people who played other sports absolutely kill it at AFL level while I think you may find the majority do not.

Talk about a long winded rant because you got your point wrong and needed to the above to attempt to make sense (you still don't).

Nothing like McVeigh ffs

Extremely jealous that you've landed Gould, I wanted him at the Crows.

As a Glenelg supporter I've seen him quite a few times live, as a kid playing against men in arguably the best league after the VFL(AFL).

He reads the flight of the ball extremely well, has a huge kick, thrives on physicality and has a ton of aggression. The Hurn comparisons are spot on IMO.

He will be a great player to watch develop over the next few years.

Extremely jealous that you've landed Gould, I wanted him at the Crows.

As a Glenelg supporter I've seen him quite a few times live, as a kid playing against men in arguably the best league after the VFL(AFL).

He reads the flight of the ball extremely well, has a huge kick, thrives on physicality and has a ton of aggression. The Hurn comparisons are spot on IMO.

He will be a great player to watch develop over the next few years.
Well this comment was a pleasure to read. Thank you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gould was the one player i was really hoping we'd pick up with our 2nd pick after Robertson and Shoenberg got picked up, was bloody rapt when they read his name out. The big fellas gonna be a 316 gamer, premiership captain, AA Captain, 3 times club B&F winner, 2023 norm smith medalist, just to name a few 🕺

Remove this Banner Ad

Back