Delisted #17 Will Gould

Remove this Banner Ad

ALYwsQmF.jpg

Will Gould

Player Profile

A hard-running key defender departed South Australian club Glenelg for the Sydney Swans at the 2019 AFL Draft, joining the club via pick 26. Will Gould averaged 21.5 disposals, 4.5 marks and 7.2 rebound 50s per match as South Australia’s captain in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, a glowing campaign resulting in back-to-back All Australian selection. He also averaged 19.7 possessions, 5.2 marks and 6.5 rebound 50s per match for Glenelg in 2019, while he recorded a match-high eight rebound 50s in his side’s SANFL Grand Final victory over Port Adelaide.

Will Gould

DOB: 14 January 2001
DRAFT: 2019
RECRUITED FROM: Glenelg (SANFL)

Last edited:
That junior soccer player Adam Goodes was such a waste of a pick. Glad we showed him

Would’ve never won a Premiership with a player like him.

As for the last 5 years Heeney comes from a Rugby background and would be playing that if not for us and Florent has a tennis background and played as a junior but hey not like you Wolf to talk crap.

Who would think You could turn a Rugby Union Playing Private School Boy in LRT in to a Dual Premiership Player ?
Yep they have to come out of the womb with a Football in their hand and be conceived during an episode of
On The Couch to be a Footballer according to some experts. :rolleyes:

Who would think You could turn a Rugby Union Playing Private School Boy in LRT in to a Dual Premiership Player ?
Yep they have to come out of the womb with a Football in their hand and be conceived during an episode of
On The Couch to be a Footballer according to some experts. :rolleyes:

Imagine having sex with 'On The Couch' on in the background.

:sick:

Will Gould, the South Australian captain selected at pick 26, is set to run out in the number 17, worn by 2005 premiership player and current assistant coach Tadhg Kennelly.

Exciting that this guy was touted to go as high as pick 4 at different stages before the draft.
going to be a steal I’d of thought.

Indeed. I suspect the recruiters nit-picking of factors probably allowed him to slide to pick 26. Instead of just looking at the most significant factor, which is, y'know, can the kid play or not.

Indeed. I suspect the recruiters nit-picking of factors probably allowed him to slide to pick 26. Instead of just looking at the most significant factor, which is, y'know, can the kid play or not.
He didn’t test well at the combine as he was overweight because he partied to hard after the sanfl granny. Excellent result imo. He’ll iron all that out in time and be a boss down back for us. It will be like we had two top 10 picks.

He didn’t test well at the combine as he was overweight because he partied to hard after the sanfl granny. Excellent result imo. He’ll iron all that out in time and be a boss down back for us. It will be like we had two top 10 picks.

Might even be three if Taylor can live up to his talent. I like that we focused on talent above all else this draft as I feel like in previous years, guys like Gould & Taylor we would've steered clear of in favour of a 'safer' option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might even be three if Taylor can live up to his talent. I like that we focused on talent above all else this draft as I feel like in previous years, guys like Gould & Taylor we would've steered clear of in favour of a 'safer' option.

Exactly. Talent was a focus and it should be. Too often we hear how talented one is, but they wouldn't fit in our system...Players will fit into a system. Harder to coach talent than attitude.

Exactly. Talent was a focus and it should be. Too often we hear how talented one is, but they wouldn't fit in our system...Players will fit into a system. Harder to coach talent than attitude.
To my novice thoughts on the matter, nothing beats talent. Attitude can be somewhat alleviated by surroundings.
The right people and environment (which I believe we have in spades) will go a long way toward attitude.

To my novice thoughts on the matter, nothing beats talent. Attitude can be somewhat alleviated by surroundings.
The right people and environment (which I believe we have in spades) will go a long way toward attitude.
To my equally novice thoughts, talent doesn't beat attitude without a good attitude, but that's why the best players have talent and a great attitude. You don't see any supremely talented individuals on the ground that are putting no effort in, because a coach knows that even a guy that can't kick is better if he is always trying, due to the team nature. Maybe it's different for a one on one game, but as a team, hard work counts for way more than talent on the field.

Despite that spiel, I totally agree, easier to teach attitude than talent.

Talent can't be taught, but neither can finding their own ball. We have reasonable evidence to suggest low possession players at junior levels do not become high possession players at an AFL level. Not saying this is a problem for Gould, it doesn't seem to be, but I think being able to find the ball at a junior level is another thing that should be heavily considered since it is an ability that is super hard to teach.

Talent can't be taught, but neither can finding their own ball. We have reasonable evidence to suggest low possession players at junior levels do not become high possession players at an AFL level. Not saying this is a problem for Gould, it doesn't seem to be, but I think being able to find the ball at a junior level is another thing that should be heavily considered since it is an ability that is super hard to teach.

To a degree but you don’t want 4-5 slow mids that can only get the ball and can’t kick. Kicking is everything in today’s game.

What you do with the ball is far more important than how often you get it. Richmond were ranked 11th in the comp for disposals this year, yet they were by far the most effective team in the comp once they had it. Ball use is so far ahead of any other variable in terms of achieving success.

What you do with the ball is far more important than how often you get it. Richmond were ranked 11th in the comp for disposals this year, yet they were by far the most effective team in the comp once they had it. Ball use is so far ahead of any other variable in terms of achieving success.

Not always. Rohan was great ball in hand, both decision making and skill. He just did not get the ball anywhere near enough. Had he averaged 20 disposals a game he would have been in contention for All Australian.

Not always. Rohan was great ball in hand, both decision making and skill. He just did not get the ball anywhere near enough. Had he averaged 20 disposals a game he would have been in contention for All Australian.

Debatable as I thought he could be shocking with ball in hand too and a dumb decision-maker. That’s why so many of his sub-10 possession games did not cut it as opposed to say so many of Cyril Rioli’s sub-10 possession games.

Exciting that this guy was touted to go as high as pick 4 at different stages before the draft.
going to be a steal I’d of thought.
I have no justification for saying this other than my very strong gut feeling. I can see him playing several games in 2020 and being a first 18 player thereafter. I can see Gould being our backline general for the next decade.

He's captained SA and has played senior footy. He's not as chubby as some people claim and in an AFL system any excess klgs will drop right off him. His weight might have be an issue if he wasn't a hard worker, but he he is a very hard worker. He's also a pure footballer without any flashy skills or stand-out attributes but knows where the ball in going. Most importantly, he's a great kick.

Ive been told that his poor combine results scared off many clubs, which fortunately, turned out to be a good thing for us. Let's hope it's true.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back