Delisted #17 Will Gould

Remove this Banner Ad

ALYwsQmF.jpg

Will Gould

Player Profile

A hard-running key defender departed South Australian club Glenelg for the Sydney Swans at the 2019 AFL Draft, joining the club via pick 26. Will Gould averaged 21.5 disposals, 4.5 marks and 7.2 rebound 50s per match as South Australia’s captain in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, a glowing campaign resulting in back-to-back All Australian selection. He also averaged 19.7 possessions, 5.2 marks and 6.5 rebound 50s per match for Glenelg in 2019, while he recorded a match-high eight rebound 50s in his side’s SANFL Grand Final victory over Port Adelaide.

Will Gould

DOB: 14 January 2001
DRAFT: 2019
RECRUITED FROM: Glenelg (SANFL)

Last edited:

Artygunner

Team Captain
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Does anyone know what is going on with this bloke? Aliir comes out and he still doesn't get a chance. I feel he must have come back a little unfit?

Can anyone elaborate with anything other that rumour?

Apparently after the U18 championship he got very heavy on the beers celebrating which affected his draft combine which is why he went so low compared to where people thought he would go. Then didn't work hard enough in the season break and has been struggling for fitness since.

Reckon we won't see him this year but now he knows what it will take to break into the side, hopefully next pre-season he can do some solid work and become B22 by the end of 2021. I liked what I saw in the pre-season games

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
He got his skin folds down somewhat before drafting (on demand/ recommendation from Swans).
He is not FAT!

Many talk up that he played against men at Glenelg. But a back pocket who has great footy read the play skills and aggression shown at lower levels.
However, AFL is more and more a timed top pace / "quick" thing, but endurance a MUST to be there in the last qtr.
Also he has had luxury ability to crash and bash against smaller blokes, so his game attitude obviously needed some development and care.

He is a keeper and hopefully a 200+ gamer. HANDLE WITH CARE!
Some will need couple of pre seasons to adjust to pace and develop endurance.
He has traded on footy smarts and his great kick, and read the play and aggression.
Different world /game now!

I hope Swans get a quality sprint coach to work with Gould.( Pick up knees and use/leverage his feet better)
Develop off the mark burst with some endurance is all that is needed from what little I have seen.

WE ALL CAN hardly wait?

He likely will get a run this year though? (guessing) if not.... Make him hungry!

Last edited:

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Delighted for the Big Willy's debut. Can't wait to see how he goes.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is a bit rusty and fades. It's seems like there were question marks over his endurance and the club hasn't been able to train him as they'd hope. Still think he comes in and plays every game for the rest of the season.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Delighted for the Big Willy's debut. Can't wait to see how he goes.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is a bit rusty and fades. It's seems like there were question marks over his endurance and the club hasn't been able to train him as they'd hope. Still think he comes in and plays every game for the rest of the season.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where did you get this?

Checked sydneyswans.com.au and the Twitter page but got nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Apparently after the U18 championship he got very heavy on the beers celebrating which affected his draft combine which is why he went so low compared to where people thought he would go. Then didn't work hard enough in the season break and has been struggling for fitness since.

Reckon we won't see him this year but now he knows what it will take to break into the side, hopefully next pre-season he can do some solid work and become B22 by the end of 2021. I liked what I saw in the pre-season games
There’s been a push by several on BF to get him into the team almost from Rd 1 and maybe tomorrow will finally be his opportunity. However, the reports from the Reserves games and the very occasional comment from coaches have been consistently underwhelming and don’t seem to warrant his inclusion at this stage.

I haven’t seen him play this year so can only rely on those reports but if others have additional information it would be great to hear it.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I still believe he will easily be the best of this years bunch, I’ll be getting on him for rising star next year.

May have had a few harsh lessons this year but he just looks the type that once he cracks the team, he won’t be coming out

I still believe he will easily be the best of this years bunch, I’ll be getting on him for rising star next year.

May have had a few harsh lessons this year but he just looks the type that once he cracks the team, he won’t be coming out

There's a bloke called Rowell...write your own ticket for the RS if he stays on the field. Phillips probably the danger, Tom Green an outside chance.

Something not right here, if he’s not getting a gig now there’s issues of some nature.
Well he was on the Emergencies list this week and had to have been close to a callup. Alas his fitness/form has been a problem. The impaired season wouldn't have helped.

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Swans seem cautious about debuting defenders too early. In that position you concede goals if you repeatedly lose marking contests or misplace kicks. Which can affect a player's confidence.

I think he will get a taste of senior football in the last few games. But I don't think they will expect him to come in and lockdown on our opponent's best forwards. Would not surprise me if he starts on the bench and comes on at half back flank with the freedom to make some attacking runs.

Last edited:
Back