Delisted #17 Will Gould

Remove this Banner Ad

ALYwsQmF.jpg

Will Gould

Player Profile

A hard-running key defender departed South Australian club Glenelg for the Sydney Swans at the 2019 AFL Draft, joining the club via pick 26. Will Gould averaged 21.5 disposals, 4.5 marks and 7.2 rebound 50s per match as South Australia’s captain in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, a glowing campaign resulting in back-to-back All Australian selection. He also averaged 19.7 possessions, 5.2 marks and 6.5 rebound 50s per match for Glenelg in 2019, while he recorded a match-high eight rebound 50s in his side’s SANFL Grand Final victory over Port Adelaide.

Will Gould

DOB: 14 January 2001
DRAFT: 2019
RECRUITED FROM: Glenelg (SANFL)

Last edited:
Nothing against the kid and still think he could be a real player for us once he gets his fitness right, but geez I hope we don't debut him this year. Granted I have only seen limited bits of him, but he really does look so far off the pace. He's just not ready for senior footy and rushing him in could mess with his head. Bringing a kid in to play on the wing or small forward and barely getting a touch is very different to bringing a defender in who could get slaughtered by his opponent kicking a bag opposed to him. Not saying that would happen for sure, but I mean... he makes Melican look like peak Ted Richards, and that is in low-intensity scrimmages.

Nothing against the kid and still think he could be a real player for us once he gets his fitness right, but geez I hope we don't debut him this year. Granted I have only seen limited bits of him, but he really does look so far off the pace. He's just not ready for senior footy and rushing him in could mess with his head. Bringing a kid in to play on the wing or small forward and barely getting a touch is very different to bringing a defender in who could get slaughtered by his opponent kicking a bag opposed to him. Not saying that would happen for sure, but I mean... he makes Melican look like peak Ted Richards, and that is in low-intensity scrimmages.
Why are you bagging Melican !

Not into fat shaming but seriously how can an AFL player be even chubby? They have the best access to the best physicians, dietary advice, doctors and they’re required to train and workout all season long.

It just seems like you have to really slack off as an AFL player to be fat.

Can anyone with more knowledge on the topic give me an informed opinion? Is it a metabolism problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not into fat shaming but seriously how can an AFL player be even chubby? They have the best access to the best physicians, dietary advice, doctors and they’re required to train and workout all season long.

Can anyone with more knowledge on the topic give me an informed opinion? Is it a metabolism problem?

I think they call it GENETICS

Some guys are just built like a brick s**t house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has so much talent, it's hard to see him not succeeding once he learns our structure.
I think it is good that new draftees don't always debut or get a lot of games in their first seasons. I think increasingly they will have to do their apprenticeship in the ressies. We are building real depth across the team. McInerney has been on the list for 2 years for 10 games. Throw in Ling(3 years for 3), Gould(1 for 0), Warner(1 for 2), Bell(3 for 10), Wicks(3 for 7). With 3 high draftees in McDonald, Campbell and Gulden pressing for spots also, there is real competition for places in the best 22. Arguably we only lost 1 best 22 player in Allir.
I reckon all the players realise this squeeze, including Gould, and they will all be training their asses off.

I think it is good that new draftees don't always debut or get a lot of games in their first seasons. I think increasingly they will have to do their apprenticeship in the ressies. We are building real depth across the team. McInerney has been on the list for 2 years for 10 games. Throw in Ling(3 years for 3), Gould(1 for 0), Warner(1 for 2), Bell(3 for 10), Wicks(3 for 7). With 3 high draftees in McDonald, Campbell and Gulden pressing for spots also, there is real competition for places in the best 22. Arguably we only lost 1 best 22 player in Allir.
I reckon all the players realise this squeeze, including Gould, and they will all be training their asses off.
and hopefully the ressies comp goes ahead as planned (covid free). It will be great comp and the developing players will have a lot to play for

Last edited:
Crikey!

Big bodies players in general and defenders in particular tend to take a bit longer to debut.

It takes the bigger boys longer to get their physical condition up to the level and learn how to throw their weight around effectively against bigger harder players.

And defending is a lot more about applying a consistent system and having good relationships and understanding of someone's personal role and how it interacts with the other roles out there.

Gould will barely get dropped once he plays but I'm glad he has had to really earn it.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Big bodies players in general and defenders in particular tend to take a bit longer to debut.

It takes the bigger boys longer to get their physical condition up to the level and learn how to throw their weight around effectively against bigger harder players.

And defending is a lot more about applying a consistent system and having good relationships and understanding of someone's personal role and how it interacts with the other roles out there.

Gould will barely get dropped once he plays but I'm glad he has had to really earn it.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just watched Gould's highlights on Youtube. He can take the game on and run through and around players to take the ball forward.
I just hope we get a COVID free season where the AFL gets played AND the new second tier NEAFL/VFL gets played TOO. We have so many young players that need to be playing to put pressure on best 22. And I want to see them play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back