Delisted #17 Will Gould

Remove this Banner Ad

ALYwsQmF.jpg

Will Gould

Player Profile

A hard-running key defender departed South Australian club Glenelg for the Sydney Swans at the 2019 AFL Draft, joining the club via pick 26. Will Gould averaged 21.5 disposals, 4.5 marks and 7.2 rebound 50s per match as South Australia’s captain in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, a glowing campaign resulting in back-to-back All Australian selection. He also averaged 19.7 possessions, 5.2 marks and 6.5 rebound 50s per match for Glenelg in 2019, while he recorded a match-high eight rebound 50s in his side’s SANFL Grand Final victory over Port Adelaide.

Will Gould

DOB: 14 January 2001
DRAFT: 2019
RECRUITED FROM: Glenelg (SANFL)

Last edited:
Hope he get a full season to develop as to me he is showing much more then before. More intense and better positioning but needs game after game to build his knowledge.

He could play Lloyd's role as little defending and distribution would suite. Engine might still be a problem.

Rona rule: last lwo years has stalled the development of lots of players. Give them a break.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

He has lost a lot of excess weight and improved significantly as an athlete since he was drafted. Speed and stamina are much improved. Has also shown a lot of leadership on the field in his VFL games. However, I am not sure he is quite ready. I hope his selection does not become a demoralising experience. Couldn't be a bigger challenge than playing against the Brisbane forward line in your first game.

Thought he did alright on weekend
Yeah I was just thinking about Gould and then saw you've commented at the same time.

Port rolled with Dixon, Finlayson, Marshall in the wet against the Dons last week. Georgiades was out, but I suspect they include him if it's dry. Could be quite the tall forward line. Assuming we'd keep one of COR or Fox in (they do have Gray and other small/med fwds), I wouldn't mind bringing Gould in for a "home" debut for the other. Just a quick 4hr each way drive for the family to watch him.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he heads back to Adelaide to join Dawson

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wouldn’t be surprised if no one picks him up. He has a bit to,climb. He very well could be entrenched in our defence given our challenges but he has not really put his hand up in the twos, he goes OK some weeks but can’t push through for a breakout game right now. It would be great if he can find it over the next 10 games, it just looks unlikely at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t be surprised if no one picks him up. He has a bit to,climb. He very well could be entrenched in our defence given our challenges but he has not really put his hand up in the twos, he goes OK some weeks but can’t push through for a breakout game right now. It would be great if he can find it over the next 10 games, it just looks unlikely at this point.
Feel really sorry for Gould. He was a junior star. State skipper. Big man physically and in his play. Zones off when it suits him. Big fish in a small pond.
Hits AFL and is a general defender. Everything turns upside down.
He's worked hard but maybe not quite hard enough, mentally at least.
Whatever happens I wish him every success but suspect he'll be happiest in the SANFL.

Feel really sorry for Gould. He was a junior star. State skipper. Big man physically and in his play. Zones off when it suits him. Big fish in a small pond.
Hits AFL and is a general defender. Everything turns upside down.
He's worked hard but maybe not quite hard enough, mentally at least.
Whatever happens I wish him every success but suspect he'll be happiest in the SANFL.
I get the impression hes taken a few steps forward this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on an afl list next year, and reckon theres a good chance its the Swans. We'll be needing that 3rd tall down back post Rampe, could be Gould.
ps.. not saying hes a Rampe replacement

I get the impression hes taken a few steps forward this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on an afl list next year, and reckon theres a good chance its the Swans. We'll be needing that 3rd tall down back post Rampe, could be Gould.
ps.. not saying hes a Rampe replacement
I imagine we'll give him another year if he still doesn't break it into the senior squad. His VFL form has improved and big men take a little longer to develop. There will be a lot of players leaving this offseason, don't want too much churn

Interesting that Horse was asked about where Gould is at, and his answer wasn't about what Gould is or isn't doing, but it was about how good the McCartins, Blakey, Rampe etc have been doing. That makes me think Gould might finally be out of the "project player" stage, and might actually be ready for senior footy in Horse's eyes. Just waiting for the opening in our back six now.

Interesting that Horse was asked about where Gould is at, and his answer wasn't about what Gould is or isn't doing, but it was about how good the McCartins, Blakey, Rampe etc have been doing. That makes me think Gould might finally be out of the "project player" stage, and might actually be ready for senior footy in Horse's eyes. Just waiting for the opening in our back six now.

Aye. That was my take.

OR... he was avoiding the question?

OR... he was avoiding the question?

Sure, but every other time he's been asked about Gould he's trotted out the cliché "he's young, he's learning, players develop at different rates" lines. Not sure why he'd be avoiding the question this time around...

Sure, but every other time he's been asked about Gould he's trotted out the cliché "he's young, he's learning, players develop at different rates" lines. Not sure why he'd be avoiding the question this time around...

i think you're right the first time ... longmire's simply trying to point out it's not about gould right now, which specifically avoids saying "he's not ready", coz he quite simply could've said that, "he's not ready", and moved on ...
but he didn't, instead rightly focusing on the guys who did a great job last weekend ...
so yeah, i'd also read that as suggesting gould is much closer to a senior run

he must be farken rubbish not to ever crack 1 game in this side
Unfortunately, he's stuck behind Rampe at the moment but I actually think he's ready to play. Hopefully, we can convince him to sign on for couple more years because he's a mainstay of our top four VFL side and playing extremely well on a consistent basis. Adelaide and Port will be probably do their best to convince him to leave but I think he's so close to breaking through to the seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back