17th vs 18th, tanking and the media obsession

Remove this Banner Ad

Lionshine is way bigger than the Clique. The Clique pails in comparison to Lionshine.
I don't get it.:confused:
stainless-steel-pails737.gif

So we lose, get pick 1&2 and everyone says it's an outrage. We win and everyone says we are stupidest club in the afl.

I understand the consequences, but as I've explained to a few idiots at work. I'd rather win and not be a team that tanks.

Not sure how everyone else feels but I was extremely proud with that win on Saturday

We could have had a hard fought loss and still retained our pride (and pick 1).

"Ok guys, stop that goal-kicking please. Jed, you're out of here 10 minutes earlier than expected."

I haven't paid much attention to the footy media the last few days and I haven't heard any of the criticisms about us winning that others have posted, so I'm making a few assumptions with the following:

It seems very strange to me that we'd be criticised for beating the Dogs, and not Carlton for beating Melbourne a couple of weeks ago. Or indeed that we'd be criticised at all. Is it possibly an ironic comment about how daft the system is?

It might be that Schache to Brisbane is seen as the best possible outcome by a lot of people within the media, and winding up with Francis instead is a big problem. My view is that even at that stage of the draft key forwards are no sure thing, certainly in the short term (Patton, Boyd and McCartin aren't having much impact at their respective clubs), and that our first pick in this draft is just one of the many options we need to explore to get a long term key forward.

It'd be daft if the Blues had picks 1 and 2 but it won't be the difference between success and failure for us. I'd still much rather have the win.

Awesome win. I don't give a stuff what the media and 'expert' commentators say. You build your club around winning and a winning culture, not losing and draft picks. Lets work with what we've got and get the best out of them, get what we can in trades for those that want out, and go to the draft knowing we will have a high pick and the ability to get some highly rated local kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or indeed that we'd be criticised at all. Is it possibly an ironic comment about how daft the system is?

Definitely the way I interpreted the comments on AFL360 and On The Couch. Gerard Healy straight out said, "There is a problem with the system, but I don't have the answer."

Interesting hearing Caro say "they're really flat up there today".]
SNIPPED

Suppose we just got to get over it and move on. The AFL won't be making any special concessions for us though, if Kruza leaves on 500k + we have pick three.

Time to start watching Francis highlights I suppose!!

You will like them - as I posted previously,if we can't have Schache then Francis is my second preference.

You will like them - as I posted previously,if we can't have Schache then Francis is my second preference.
If we get Francis, we get an absolutely committed gun. Can't do better imo.

We could have had a hard fought loss and still retained our pride (and pick 1).

If we intentionally lost, how could it be a "hard fought" anything?

Pretty easy for the Tankers to get two defenders in there - bloody ball was down there enough.
Rockliff will need to lift his game if he wants to get acknowledged. Only had 38 disposals @76.9% eff (of which 15 were contested), 10 marks (2 inside F50), 8 clearances, 7 tackles, 6 inside 50's, all in just 83% game time. Clogger if ever we saw one.

Sorry if I misinterpreted, but it seemed like you implied that we should have manufactured a close loss.
Not at all. My preference is that we didn't win. I have never said we should deliberately lose. I'm quite happy that we won for all the reasons cited by others except that I think the benefits of losing in this particular circumstance outweigh them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back