17th vs 18th, tanking and the media obsession

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't this post suggesting that we intentionally lose the game to get pick 1? Just because it's 'hard fought' doesn't mean it's not intentionally losing.
I think TBD has highlighted the error in your thinking. My post was deliberate. 'Hard fought' means what it says - the opposite to tanking really. I am more concerned with the outcome and for me the outcome that suited our interests best was a loss in which we tried to win but fell short.

I think TBD has highlighted the error in your thinking. My post was deliberate. 'Hard fought' means what it says - the opposite to tanking really. I am more concerned with the outcome and for me the outcome that suited our interests best was a loss in which we tried to win but fell short.

You're right, if we had have lost by 4 points or so we could still take a lot from the game. I disagree though, a 'hard fought' loss isn't the opposite of tanking. It doesn't matter how much you lose by, if you purposely try to orchestrate a loss it's tanking. It doesn't matter if its 1 point or 200 points.

Glad we won and the benefits of the win will last for years. It has given the players a sense of pride to take into the off season and may help in keeping the team together

But most importantly when we are successful in the future we wont have to put up with croakers saying "but you only got there because you tanked.."

Until the end of time, while football is talked about in this Galaxy, we can say "THE BRISBANE LIONS DO NOT TANK!"

Last edited:

The much needed win is reflected by the energetic volume and elation of the young kids.

Check out McStay, squizzy, Dawson and others singing the team song after the win against the doggies for hints of cultural evolution!

GO LIONS!!!

The much needed win is reflected by the energetic volume and elation of the young kids.

Check out McStay, squizzy, Dawson and others singing the team song after the win against the doggies for hints of cultural evolution!

GO LIONS!!!

I see McStay still can't get his head around the lyrical awkwardness that is "like Fitzroy and Bears of old".

I'm with you, man.

The backlash is to be expected - many non-Carlton supporters would be seething at the thought of the Blues getting picks 1/2 - in some cases more than us. And they are merely venting that anger at who they see as responsible for this horror!

Of the journalists and media people that have come out this week suggesting we should've lost our match, the majority came out a few years ago and said Melbourne tanking is wrong.

That's why I'm trying to tune it out.

We're an easy target right now, and the narrative twists to suit that. Any time you call for teams to throw matches in a competitive sport, you are missing the main point.

The Worst thing about all this has hardly been mentioned. The Lions won because the Dogs went to the Gabba with no intention to really win. The rest before finals thing that is the trend is what has cost us pick 1

That's why I'm trying to tune it out.

We're an easy target right now, and the narrative twists to suit that. Any time you call for teams to throw matches in a competitive sport, you are missing the main point.
I pay no attention to 90% of what's said in the footy media. I could come up with better material than the vast majority of these people, and that's certainly not because I'm an expert. I can count to ten though, so that's a start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fine and Hutchison have stood up for tanking in the past. No real surprise that they're anti-winning. Robbo OTOH has put in plenty of words re: calling out teams for tanking or appearing to do so.

I was listening to Robbo on on Harf Time and I didn't get the impression he thought we should have tried to lose but that it would have been beneficial for us if we did. He seemed to feel sorry for us for winning because of the position it puts us in now because of the BS FA compo.

Was informed a short time ago by someone close to a Melbourne club that to activate a tier one compo pick, the player would need to be on $600K per year on average throughout the life of the contract.

Can't see Kreuzer or Leuenberger attracting that.

I am sure the AFL can change what the requirement is so that Carlton don't get pick 2. The same way they made sure Melb got a high pick for Frawley, that is why it is a secret formula, the media backlash is good for us.

The more i think about it the more I am coming around to Francis. Freeman and Schache seem pretty similar to me anyway.

Was informed a short time ago by someone close to a Melbourne club that to activate a tier one compo pick, the player would need to be on $600K per year on average throughout the life of the contract.

Can't see Kreuzer or Leuenberger attracting that.

That figure definitely fits with the contract announcements to date, assuming Frawley is the higher of the figures announced.

The more i think about it the more I am coming around to Francis. Freeman and Schache seem pretty similar to me anyway.

Two lottery tickets gives you twice the chance of winning. ;)

No I am sure PP can be first pick. It has happened before.

I remember Melbourne got one in the Draft when they took Scully and Trengove.

But they had Pick 1 anyway, so it didn't matter.

If there has been some other instance where a PP has been put before the natural order, what was it?

Last edited:
I remember Melbourne got one in the Draft when the took Scully and Trengove.

But they had Pick 1 anyway, so it didn't matter.

If there has been some other instance where a PP has been put before the natural order, what was it?

Carlton took Kreuzer with a PP at pick 1 when they had pick 2. Cotchin went at 2 that year and Carlton's pick 3 was sent to West Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back