17th vs 18th, tanking and the media obsession

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sure the AFL can change what the requirement is so that Carlton don't get pick 2. The same way they made sure Melb got a high pick for Frawley, that is why it is a secret formula, the media backlash is good for us.

NUTSHELL. Tells you all that is wrong with this sport. What a joke.

Hi lions fans. Firstly great win over the dogs, I was at the game and really enjoyed it.
Secondly most of the media personalities I've heard suggesting the lions should've tanked/ lost are the same ones questioning north/ Brad Scott's integrity over resting players. Hypocrisy much?

The football media are a joke. Literally infested with baffoon ex-players with one too many concussions. Openly mocking us for not tanking is a disgrace the AFL do nothing about it is a joke. This sport needs serious reform. The only actual journalists allowed to comment on AFL are only the ones that have been allowed into the boy's club too. Plenty of talent actually out there one would presume.

Hi lions fans. Firstly great win over the dogs, I was at the game and really enjoyed it.
Secondly most of the media personalities I've heard suggesting the lions should've tanked/ lost are the same ones questioning north/ Brad Scott's integrity over resting players. Hypocrisy much?
I have a laugh each time your user name pops up.

The football media are a joke. Literally infested with baffoon ex-players with one too many concussions. Openly mocking us for not tanking is a disgrace the AFL do nothing about it is a joke. This sport needs serious reform. The only actual journalists allowed to comment on AFL are only the ones that have been allowed into the boy's club too. Plenty of talent actually out there one would presume.
\
I have not seen a single journalist "openly mocking" us for not tanking. There might be one or two idiots on radio or FTA TV, I don't follow them, but on Fox Footy at least, by the tone and message coming through, it is clear they are using as a way to point out the absurdities of the systems involved. Gerard Healy, Wately and David King in particular were clear about making that point. Robbo a bit less subtle.

"On Sunday Brisbane did something breathtakingly stupid – they won a game. The Lions defeated the Bulldogs in a game the Dogs did not care about losing but the Lions were careless to win.

The Dogs rested three senior players. The Lions did not. Had the Lions rested players, lost the game but safeguarded their future (the first – and potentially second – pick in the draft) they might have been found guilty of tanking.

The Dogs did rest players. They did lose. And they did safeguard their position for the future (this week's final). But they will – rightly – face no investigation. They did not tank because there is a gulf between not caring if you lose and doing what you can not to win.

That wasn't Carlton's fault. They sat second-last after their surprising victory over Melbourne two weeks earlier elevated them off the bottom. On Sunday morning they knew their lot - pick two, an ambit claim for a priority and then a possible compensatory free agency pick. They did not make Brisbane win."

Lovely little piece from The Age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back