Player Watch #18: Alex Rance

Remove this Banner Ad

I might be the only one who doesn't want him back.

Left to pursue "God" and his marriage, said at the time he loves Richmond too much and if he plays it'll just consume him (cue violins). Left under really weird circumstances that no one outside the club seems really privy to. FFS if you love Richmond/footy so much, play while you can, while you're young and fit.

Ends up almost signing on to absolute trash reality TV. Bloke's all over the shop.

If we can get anything for him on the market, by all means do it. If we can't and he wants to walk to another club, let him go.

I might be the only one who doesn't want him back.

Left to pursue "God" and his marriage, said at the time he loves Richmond too much and if he plays it'll just consume him (cue violins). Left under really weird circumstances that no one outside the club seems really privy to. FFS if you love Richmond/footy so much, play while you can, while you're young and fit.

Ends up almost signing on to absolute trash reality TV. Bloke's all over the shop.

If we can get anything for him on the market, by all means do it. If we can't and he wants to walk to another club, let him go.
That’s no way to speak about an absolute champion of our club, and indeed the game. Neither you nor I have any idea what he was going through at the time and what led to him feeling like he had to retire. Perhaps it was to try and save his marriage, which is understandable. For what he gave to us, he’s entitled to come back to us if that’s what he wants, and the club will embrace him. He gave his all when he was playing and I for one will be very happy if he decides to return

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New article on Herald Sun about it, anyone got access?
Read it.
Basically said that according to people close to him.
Rance won't be making a comeback.

Richmond would recontract Alex Rance in a heartbeat if he was keen to reignite his career but the five-time All-Australian is content in retirement.
Rance has told friends as recently as last week that, at this stage, he is more than happy in retirement and has no plans to come back to football.

The Tigers or a rival team would have to make plans for Rance by the final list lodgements, likely to be in late November, if he wanted to return to footy.

But Rance has no intention at present to return to the AFL, despite remaining in elite shape. He is happy to continue his work away from AFL.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Watch every match of every round Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Rance is considered one of the game’s finest defenders. Picture: Michael Klein
Rance is still on Richmond’s list, having walked away from almost all of his 2020 salary to concentrate on his work with his school The Academy and focus on his family and religion.

Despite reports that a comeback is on, those close to him remain adamant no such return is on the cards.

The Tigers would help him orchestrate a comeback if he contacted them but they too are of the firm belief his career is over.

If he was desperate to make a fresh start at a rival club the Tigers would orchestrate that move too, even though Rance would have draft value as a 30-year-old.

Richmond senior assistant Justin Leppitsch told the Sacked Podcast this year he wondered if Rance would want a change of scenery if he did return.

But Richmond and Rance have burnt no bridges.

“I don’t know, sometimes the further you move away from it, the harder it is to come back, that’s all I would say,” Leppitsch said.

“If he does, is it at Richmond or is it somewhere else?

“Is it a change of environment that will help him? I think now that this has happened with the virus, it has probably changed everyone’s perspective as well.”

Alex Rance's funniest pranks

MORE RANCE:

Legend’s ultimate compliment to Rance

Why Rance could return at a new club

Rance ‘signed on the dotted line’ to be The Bachelor

In March this year, Rance wouldn’t completely rule out a comeback, saying: “I love the game and I love what I have contributed and I am not going to completely rule out the fact that I could come back.”

“But at this stage I am really happy with the life balance that I have.”

Days later he shut down that talk: “The context of it was that I love football, I love the guys that are there, I love the Richmond Football Club for giving me everything they’ve done over the last 12 years.”

“But my life’s good, I’m happy where I’m at, I’m good to head off into the sunset.”

Richmond would recontract Alex Rance in a heartbeat if he was keen to reignite his career but the five-time All-Australian is content in retirement.
Rance has told friends as recently as last week that, at this stage, he is more than happy in retirement and has no plans to come back to football.

The Tigers or a rival team would have to make plans for Rance by the final list lodgements, likely to be in late November, if he wanted to return to footy.

But Rance has no intention at present to return to the AFL, despite remaining in elite shape. He is happy to continue his work away from AFL.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Watch every match of every round Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Rance is still on Richmond’s list, having walked away from almost all of his 2020 salary to concentrate on his work with his school The Academy and focus on his family and religion.

Despite reports that a comeback is on, those close to him remain adamant no such return is on the cards.

The Tigers would help him orchestrate a comeback if he contacted them but they too are of the firm belief his career is over.

If he was desperate to make a fresh start at a rival club the Tigers would orchestrate that move too, even though Rance would have draft value as a 30-year-old.

Richmond senior assistant Justin Leppitsch told the Sacked Podcast this year he wondered if Rance would want a change of scenery if he did return.

But Richmond and Rance have burnt no bridges.

“I don’t know, sometimes the further you move away from it, the harder it is to come back, that’s all I would say,” Leppitsch said.

“If he does, is it at Richmond or is it somewhere else?

“Is it a change of environment that will help him? I think now that this has happened with the virus, it has probably changed everyone’s perspective as well.”

Alex Rance's funniest pranks's funniest pranks

MORE RANCE:

Legend’s ultimate compliment to Rance

Why Rance could return at a new club

Rance ‘signed on the dotted line’ to be The Bachelor

In March this year, Rance wouldn’t completely rule out a comeback, saying: “I love the game and I love what I have contributed and I am not going to completely rule out the fact that I could come back.”

“But at this stage I am really happy with the life balance that I have.”

Days later he shut down that talk: “The context of it was that I love football, I love the guys that are there, I love the Richmond Football Club for giving me everything they’ve done over the last 12 years.”

“But my life’s good, I’m happy where I’m at, I’m good to head off into the sunset.”
basically no new information, just another article flogging the rance comeback to death

Remove this Banner Ad

Back