Player Watch #18: Alex Rance

Remove this Banner Ad

every day that passes without Rance signing is a worry a real worry.

He is the best player in the league for his position and is irreplaceable.

We paid gasper 600k a year 15 years ago. Scary to think what Rance is worth as he is twice as good as Gasper ever was.

Not looking good at the moment
Defensively I have to seriously disagree with this statement. Way better as an offensive weapon.

Just imo fwiw

He will stay, but it will be for serious coin

The guy is an AA grade backman, who will be strongly chanced by both freo and wce

Imo he will be looking at a minimum of $500k-600k to move, but it may nudge higher depending upon the aggressive bidding for him

That said, he's worth it
When you say 500-600, is that a premium to what we offer, coz I don't reckon he d sign for anything less than 700+ read same for dusty ...we should be able to afford that , Jackson and King outside of tpp now that's enough for a pay rise for both

Ryan O'keefe requested a trade from Sydney and the end of the 2008 season but the Swans refused to and he ended up playing on with the Swans for six years and winning a flag in the process.

Rance is not miserable at Richmond. His entire immediate family has moved to Melbourne. Elite, young CHB are extremely rare in this league and it would be against the best interests of the club to let him leave if we have the ability to keep him. (On the same money offered and in the same state his family live)
Bit different these days with free agency but I see what you're saying in regards to O'Keefe. Generally speaking, most clubs are willing to trade a player when they request to do so but when you've gone to the extreme of purposely not re-signing with your club and then submitting the paperwork to leave that club then it's pretty obvious the player is keen to move on.

I never stated he was unhappy at Richmond. I'm sure Buddy didn't hate life while he was with Hawthorn but sometimes a better offer comes your way and you feel like a change. If Richmond can't convince Rance to stay for whatever reason then they deserve to lose him. That's the reality of free agency.

When you say 500-600, is that a premium to what we offer, coz I don't reckon he d sign for anything less than 700+ read same for dusty ...we should be able to afford that , Jackson and King outside of tpp now that's enough for a pay rise for both
I don't think both deserve that much ie 700k per year. In fact I don't think any player should be on that coin. I don't think Rance is on big money(less than 500k), and think 500-550k is a fair wage rise. Dusty should be around the same. I know wages are going up, but to me we want more players on 500k than a few on 700k+, which means a better team if those players qualify(ie are good enough) for that coin.

Bit different these days with free agency but I see what you're saying in regards to O'Keefe. Generally speaking, most clubs are willing to trade a player when they request to do so but when you've gone to the extreme of purposely not re-signing with your club and then submitting the paperwork to leave that club then it's pretty obvious the player is keen to move on.

I never stated he was unhappy at Richmond. I'm sure Buddy didn't hate life while he was with Hawthorn but sometimes a better offer comes your way and you feel like a change. If Richmond can't convince Rance to stay for whatever reason then they deserve to lose him. That's the reality of free agency.
Buddy was abit like Ablett Jr.Help win a couple of flags then departing.You think both those players would have left otherwise?Thats where Rance is at atm.More worried about Dusty(his manager)than Rance.

get with the program dudes. Look at WC and Freo over the years...find me a big name player who has taken their deals and moved there. Apart from forced moves invoiving stars moving back east...no one wants to go back. There is a future outside football to factor in as well. Tipping as an AFL star you would be wanting to stay in the big ticket towns for that.
FFS, Lyon has thrown everything but the kitchen sink at out of contract stars and has come up with nada...

Defensively I have to seriously disagree with this statement. Way better as an offensive weapon.

People forget how good gaspar was in his prime and just remember his last years under wallace when he was shot. Gaspar was rarely beaten and is one of the rare backmen that can say they often beat carey when he played for North. Some of the duels those two had were simply epic. Gaspar disposal was s**t though by foot but what made him good was that he knew it and made his endurance and ability to lock down a player his main strength.

Rance is a completely different beast. Rance though good defensively has a natural attacking flair. IMO Astbury when fit showed last year, he is more akin to the Gaspar comparison. I really think, if Astbury gets a full season into him, he will at least be on par with Gaspar.

get with the program dudes. Look at WC and Freo over the years...find me a big name player who has taken their deals and moved there. Apart from forced moves invoiving stars moving back east...no one wants to go back. There is a future outside football to factor in as well. Tipping as an AFL star you would be wanting to stay in the big ticket towns for that.
FFS, Lyon has thrown everything but the kitchen sink at out of contract stars and has come up with nada...

Yep, and they don't have the lure of mining boom and the associated skyrocketing property values/investment opportunities to put forward as an added carrot now, which is how they have been able to hold on to the likes of Pavlich all these years.

People forget how good gaspar was in his prime and just remember his last years under wallace when he was shot. Gaspar was rarely beaten and is one of the rare backmen that can say they often beat carey when he played for North. Some of the duels those two had were simply epic. Gaspar disposal was s**t though by foot but what made him good was that he knew it and made his endurance and ability to lock down a player his main strength.

Rance is a completely different beast. Rance though good defensively has a natural attacking flair. IMO Astbury when fit showed last year, he is more akin to the Gaspar comparison. I really think, if Astbury gets a full season into him, he will at least be on par with Gaspar.
And the beauty is Astbury is good by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just so ******* slow to make a decision. He and Chaplin's slow and deliberate kicking killed us early season.

In fairness to Astbury, he got quicker the more games he played. He did miss a full year after all. Also in his defense the whole team was slow, so the backs got cruicified as they rarely could release to a proactive moving team mate.

In fairness to Astbury, he got quicker the more games he played. He did miss a full year after all. Also in his defense the whole team was slow, so the backs got cruicified as they rarely could release to a proactive moving team mate.
He was a part of the problem. Particularly against Geelong when we tried to switch the ball he'd take a long hard look up field and give the opposition time to get across, completely defeating the point of switching the play in the first place.

I'm sick of Gaspar being smashed by our supporters. It happens all the time now. He wasn't a 2 time AA for nothing and he won our B&F from full back when we finished 3rd. Gun!!

He was a part of the problem. Particularly against Geelong when we tried to switch the ball he'd take a long hard look up field and give the opposition time to get across, completely defeating the point of switching the play in the first place.
I understand your point, it looked like he didn't want make an error by foot, purely imo because we weren't going all that well and was waiting the perfect time to pull the trigger. The more confidence he has in the role, the better he got and will get imo.

I don't think both deserve that much ie 700k per year. In fact I don't think any player should be on that coin. I don't think Rance is on big money(less than 500k), and think 500-550k is a fair wage rise. Dusty should be around the same. I know wages are going up, but to me we want more players on 500k than a few on 700k+, which means a better team if those players qualify(ie are good enough) for that coin.
forget what you believe they should get and think about what other players earn , if dayne beams earns 800, fyfe 900, Boyd 1.2 do you seriously reckon these two will sign for 500:confused:. get real, thankfully dan richo is a guru at this point and has a well rounded view of players net worth on open market

I don't believe after the 2012 GF buddy was that happy at Hawthorn.
Rumour was that he wanted to join a club that could offer him GF success .. after we choked in 2012.

As mentioned earlier in the thread .. Hope Rancey stays, his kicking can be questionable at times .. But the rest of his game is elite. Tiges wouldn't have won against the Swans without Rance .. Same way the Hawks wouldn't have won the 2013 GF without Lake.

Changing times in the AFL you might not think they are worth that but other clubs would pay that especially for a KPP like Rance. I would pay him that to keep him. KPP backman don't grow on trees and Rance is in the top half dozen in the comp. Lets put it this way if we lost Rance because of 200k a year our team would be worse off.

forget what you believe they should get and think about what other players earn , if dayne beams earns 800, fyfe 900, Boyd 1.2 do you seriously reckon these two will sign for 500:confused:. get real, thankfully dan richo is a guru at this point and has a well rounded view of players net worth on open market
Get real yourself;)!! Just because other players get top dollar else where doesn't mean we throw out all of our salary catagorisation we have worked hard over the last 3 years to fix. The more the players adopt this method the more we can get better players into our team without haven't to pay top dollar and lose players at the other end. Richo has said this numerous times. If we are to go on this theory, then why not pay Jack 1.2m a year? As I said 500-500k is a fair wage imo and I stick by it.

Changing times in the AFL you might not think they are worth that but other clubs would pay that especially for a KPP like Rance. I would pay him that to keep him. KPP backman don't grow on trees and Rance is in the top half dozen in the comp. Lets put it this way if we lost Rance because of 200k a year our team would be worse off.
I understand this sentiment, but players sign for much less than on the open market. fact. As a club we cant be beholden to players demanding market rates. That's what happened yesteryear and prevented the team attracting good players. I have no problem with players getting rises, but it must be reasonable.

Get real yourself;)!! Just because other players get top dollar else where doesn't mean we throw out all of our salary catagorisation we have worked hard over the last 3 years to fix. The more the players adopt this method the more we can get better players into our team without haven't to pay top dollar and lose players at the other end. Richo has said this numerous times. If we are to go on this theory, then why not pay Jack 1.2m a year? As I said 500-500k is a fair wage imo and I stick by it.
Its not a fair wage relative to the market place for two elite players and it won't be enough , not by any stretch. Both would be on that with current contract , their performances since most certainly warrant an increase

Remove this Banner Ad

Back