Player Watch #18: Alex Rance

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Michaels This explains why clubs don't put players on the LTI during the season if they believe they are a chance to come back.

Going by this it looks like the player needs 100% clearance to come of the LTI.

26.5 Transfer from Long Term Injury List to Primary List (a) Subject to Rule 26.4 and 26.5(b),

a Club may make written application in the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 23(A) to the General Counsel for the transfer of a Player from its Long Term Injury List to the Club’s Primary List provided that the Club Medical Officer or the medical practitioner who has treated the Player certifies that the Player has recovered from his injury or illness sufficiently to allow the Player, having due regard to his health and safety, to play in a Match and such certification is lodged with the application. Upon receipt of such application, the General Counsel shall give effect to the request of the Club.

Going by this Rance is not coming back.

Michaels This explains why clubs don't put players on the LTI during the season if they believe they are a chance to come back.

26.5 Transfer from Long Term Injury List to Primary List (a) Subject to Rule 26.4 and 26.5(b),

a Club may make written application in the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 23(A) to the General Counsel for the transfer of a Player from its Long Term Injury List to the Club’s Primary List provided that the Club Medical Officer or the medical practitioner who has treated the Player certifies that the Player has recovered from his injury or illness sufficiently to allow the Player, having due regard to his health and safety, to play in a Match and such certification is lodged with the application. Upon receipt of such application, the General Counsel shall give effect to the request of the Club.

The reality is though the Club wouldn’t be playing him if he wasn’t 100% cleared regardless of whether he was or wasn’t on the LTI.

Placing him on the LTI hasn’t shut the door at all on his return. What it does do is open up a primarily list spot which is required to promote Egg to debut.

Prior to Eggy, I believe that due to the retirement of Grigg and the amount of players on our primary list and veteran designation we wouldn’t have required to place Rance on the LTI. Chol, Baker, Weller have all been elevated so I think moving someone to the LTI was required. Rance also the only one who fits the bill.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

I don't think that proves anything. It's not like the club medicos would write a letter to AFL saying he was fit to return if he wasn't.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
if they wanted to do that why wouldn't they just come out and categorically say no he isn't playing again this year?

to date no one has done that.
True but as you mentioned the timeline still fits for him to make a return this year.No issue there.
The issue might be Alex himself.
Pushing that bit much may end in disaster.
By putting him on the LTI might temper his desire to get back early and rather let nature play its coarse.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
The reality is though the Club wouldn’t be playing him if he wasn’t 100% cleared regardless of whether he was or wasn’t on the LTI.

Placing him on the LTI hasn’t shut the door at all on his return. What it does do is open up a primarily list spot which is required to promote Egg to debut.

Prior to Eggy, I believe that due to the retirement of Grigg and the amount of players on our primary list and veteran designation we wouldn’t have required to place Rance on the LTI. Chol, Baker, Weller have all been elevated so I think moving someone to the LTI was required. Rance also the only one who fits the bill.
Then why didn't they do it with Cotch, Jack, Nank, Ross who were all going to out for 6 weeks plus if that is what the new LTI period is.

Simple fact of the matter is, if Rance is not back in full training by the start of August then he is not coming back in 2019.

I know some people on here want the notion of a miracle return but you need to let it go.

I don't think that proves anything. It's not like the club medicos would write a letter to AFL saying he was fit to return if he wasn't.
I'm not saying they would, mate i don't want him back in 2019 and will be horrified if the club bring him back and knowing it's up to the doc i am more than confident that he will be back in 2020 and not 2019.

True but as you mentioned the timeline still fits for him to make a return this year.No issue there.
The issue might be Alex himself.
Pushing that bit much may end in disaster.
By putting him on the LTI might temper his desire to get back early and rather let nature play its coarse.

Hmm I don't think it would deter him at all because he only has to be on that list for 6 weeks, that leaves the door open still.

if the club wanted him to back off the speed of his rehab and slow it all down, they should categorically come out and state he is 100% not playing at all in 2019.

Maybe they have done that internally though, who knows.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Then why didn't they do it with Cotch, Jack, Nank, Ross who were all going to out for 6 weeks plus if that is what the new LTI period is.
Because the Egg wasn't ready to debut earlier in the year I guess?
I'm not saying they would, mate i don't want him back in 2019 and will be horrified if the club bring him back and knowing it's up to the doc i am more than confident that he will be back in 2020 and not 2019.
Fair enough. Either way it's good for Alex to have a goal even if it does not come to fruition.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Hmm I don't think it would deter him at all because he only has to be on that list for 6 weeks, that leaves the door open still.

if the club wanted him to back off the speed of his rehab and slow it all down, they should categorically come out and state he is 100% not playing at all in 2019.

Maybe they have done that internally though, who knows.
Maybe.All up in the air atm.
Will be revealed in 6 weeks one way or another.

Simple fact of the matter is, if Rance is not back in full training by the start of August then he is not coming back in 2019.

I know some people on here want the notion of a miracle return but you need to let it go.

The Club wouldn’t have a requirement to place Nank, Cotch, Jack or Ross on the LTI as the main reason you do place a player on the LTI is to open a primary list spot to elevate a rookie. Now all these players either have returned, or are set to return within the 6 week compulsory time on the LTI.

This wouldn’t be required previously as there are enough mechanisms for the club to elevate rookies without having to place anyone on the LTI. Now with Egg’s elevation, a mechanism is required as Chol, Weller, Stack, Baker, Townsend are all elevated.

To me there is no coincidence that the timing of placing Rance on the LTI was done on the same day Eggy was elevated. To be sure, they could have placed him on the LTI as soon as it was discovered he had torn his ACL.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think he will return and think that even if he did, it could prove detrimental to the teams connection heading into (hopefully) the Finals. Just don’t read too much into it is all.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
24 weeks between games after an ACL is not going to happen and even then he would need to return to full scale training which will lower it even further to around 20 weeks which is utter craziness.

As it stands he has only been out for 15 weeks in what is traditionally a 40-52 week injury.

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
The Club's timing in putting Rance on the long term injury list after the mid season draft is interesting. Effectively it eliminated any possibility of bringing even more new talent into the Club. I'm presuming we did that because either we thought there was no one out there worth considering or that our salary cap was so tight that there was not even any capacity to spend an extra $50,000 on a second new player. Don't particularly care either way. Just that if the latter option decided our choice, I'm in awe of how well we are managing all aspects of our list these days.

The Club's timing in putting Rance on the long term injury list after the mid season draft is interesting. Effectively it eliminated any possibility of bringing even more new talent into the Club. I'm presuming we did that because either we thought there was no one out there worth considering or that our salary cap was so tight that there was not even any capacity to spend an extra $50,000 on a second new player. Don't particularly care either way. Just that if the latter option decided our choice, I'm in awe of how well we are managing all aspects of our list these days.

My understanding is that these were two different mechanisms. Rance is timing on the LTI (IMO) was to enable Eggy to be elevated to the primary list from the rookie list to be able to play yesterday. Unfortunately we are still in the rookie elevation model where you need a primary list spot available.

The mid-season draft was for teams that either had one list spot available for not entering the season with their maximum amount of positions filled, or players that would not be available to play for the entirety of the season. Our list spot to draft picket was on the back of Grigg retiring.

In both instances, Rance is able to play the end of the year; on the provision that he can’t play for a minimum of six weeks after being moved to the LTI on Thursday.

Again, for what it’s worth I don’t believe that Rance will play again this season, but the opportunity to do so is still available.

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
My understanding is that these were two different mechanisms. Rance is timing on the LTI (IMO) was to enable Eggy to be elevated to the primary list from the rookie list to be able to play yesterday. Unfortunately we are still in the rookie elevation model where you need a primary list spot available.

The mid-season draft was for teams that either had one list spot available for not entering the season with their maximum amount of positions filled, or players that would not be available to play for the entirety of the season. Our list spot to draft picket was on the back of Grigg retiring.

In both instances, Rance is able to play the end of the year; on the provision that he can’t play for a minimum of six weeks after being moved to the LTI on Thursday.

Again, for what it’s worth I don’t believe that Rance will play again this season, but the opportunity to do so is still available.
Thanks for the explanation RJ. I'm with you on Rance's return. He's far too important to risk in the short term and while he is one of a kind, we have found an effective new defensive structure with the emergence of Stack, Chol, Egg etc.

I have a friend who is very close with the Rance family. Basically by finals time Rance will be back . He is going that well at the moment
Tell us more

That's basically all he told me haha, anyway we know already he is recovering well. Club wants him back for finals if he is 100% and they are confident he will be
Ducking Balmey and his PR moves, should tell the members the truth

Back