Player Watch #18: Alex Rance

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If that clip is what he's doing for training then he's not as far ahead as some are suggesting. Rance and myself did our ACLs around the same time and I'm doing those exact same exercises. They're linear (either forwards, or sideways, no in between) and he's certainly not pivoting or testing the graft in any dangerous way just yet. I think Larkins is on the money.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
If that clip is what he's doing for training then he's not as far ahead as some are suggesting. Rance and myself did our ACLs around the same time and I'm doing those exact same exercises. They're linear (either forwards, or sideways, no in between) and he's certainly not pivoting or testing the graft in any dangerous way just yet. I think Larkins is on the money.
I doubt you're doing anyway near the hours per day of rehab and heavy weight training Rance is doing, also, did you spend the first 2 or 3 weeks running on the AlterG in preparation for all the running now? Unless you're a professional athlete (you might be, im not sure) i can't see any comparison. Plus that was a very short selective clip, we don't have any vision of any bilateral work I'm assuming he's doing, and all his physio, doctors, and conditioning coaches would have his progress mapped out to the nth degree.
He'll be back, bank on it.

Obviously you only see a few seconds of a standard AFL rehab program (ladder work with emphasis on technique and laps), and nothing specific to Rance’s actual progression from his injury.

That said, IMO your point about lateral movement is valid. Two things that are key are getting strength back to the point where you can explode laterally, and then having the confidence in your knee and it’s lateral movement to be able to play to the high levels you need to play at.

Rance is a confident guy, and his preparation is second to none, but you never know how long it takes a player to mentally get fully over an injury.

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL

The timeframe in that report said Goldy came back 14 days longer than Rance if he plays finals, but Goldy was ready 3 weeks prior and had a lower back/hammy complaint, so in effect he was ready 1 week before Rance.

can you post this again in neanderthal english for us slow campaigners

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Interesting comment, and good comparison for us watchers.

How does Rances recovery compare to the average person (no disrespect) that doesn’t have access or time that professional athletes do in recovering from an ACL.

Where are you at with your recovery and how long have you got to go before you can actively test the strength of the graft.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interesting comment, and good comparison for us watchers.

How does Rances recovery compare to the average person (no disrespect) that doesn’t have access or time that professional athletes do in recovering from an ACL.

Where are you at with your recovery and how long have you got to go before you can actively test the strength of the graft.

I'm an athlete myself, but not at a professional level, so I'm probably tracking slightly behind someone like Rance. There are two aspects to the recovery though: muscle gain and muscle control to stabilise the knee, on the one hand, and on the other hand you've got the internal graft strength. Rance and I seem at similar stages, with him probably a few weeks ahead going by the looks of things.

But this exists independently of the graft, the ligament that they reconstruct. We can't speed up that healing process, it is what it is. My physio said no way he's clearing me before 9 months and the graft won't reach peak strength until 24 months.

You can feel a million bucks but that graft that's screwed into your leg can still be weak as piss.

For example, a week after surgery, my graft would have been stronger than a normal ACL. But of course, I wouldn't be able to run or anything due to swelling and my brain switching the muscles off. The opposite occurs as you get to 3-7 months - your swelling goes, you regain muscle and regain control over your muscles, but the graft becomes incredibly weak. That's where most reinjuries occur, because people feel a million bucks, but the graft goes pop.

The average person who pings their ACL stepping in a sand dune or something would likely just be up to weights and straight line jogging at this stage.

Don't get me wrong, I love a comeback story against the odds. But the risk of reinjury to a star player is a huge one at this stage, and will remain so in September.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I'm an athlete myself, but not at a professional level, so I'm probably tracking slightly behind someone like Rance. There are two aspects to the recovery though: muscle gain and muscle control to stabilise the knee, on the one hand, and on the other hand you've got the internal graft strength. Rance and I seem at similar stages, with him probably a few weeks ahead going by the looks of things.

But this exists independently of the graft, the ligament that they reconstruct. We can't speed up that healing process, it is what it is. My physio said no way he's clearing me before 9 months and the graft won't reach peak strength until 24 months.

You can feel a million bucks but that graft that's screwed into your leg can still be weak as piss.

For example, a week after surgery, my graft would have been stronger than a normal ACL. But of course, I wouldn't be able to run or anything due to swelling and my brain switching the muscles off. The opposite occurs as you get to 3-7 months - your swelling goes, you regain muscle and regain control over your muscles, but the graft becomes incredibly weak. That's where most reinjuries occur, because people feel a million bucks, but the graft goes pop.

The average person who pings their ACL stepping in a sand dune or something would likely just be up to weights and straight line jogging at this stage.

Don't get me wrong, I love a comeback story against the odds. But the risk of reinjury to a star player is a huge one at this stage, and will remain so in September.
24 months is the magic number!

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

All good points, but how did Goldsack manage a return under the exact same circumstances.

All good points, but how did Goldsack manage a return under the exact same circumstances.
His wasn't a full rupture

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
His wasn't a full rupture
According to Jullien Feller it was, and he should know.
Only takes a little googling to find this common reply.
"The Difference Between Rupture and Tear.
A rupture and a tear are the same thing: Injured tissue that has a cut. The injury could be partial or total (for example, a total rupture of the Achilles heel means that tendon has been severed)."

Alisa Camplin also tore hers and Jullien Feller attached a donor tendon and she returned 16 weeks after surgery to win a bronze medal. Rance has mentioned her a few times in interviews as inspiration (so did Goldy)

Last edited:

What type of graft did you have?

Hamstring. Rance had a quad so will retain straight line speed a bit better. Autograft healing rates are all the same, though, since it's based off tendon pathology.

So what’s the main reason going quad over hammy? Just for straight line speed?

Cheers

if he doesnt play pre finals to get some miles into him i wouldnt play him the finals as if he is rusty could mess up our backline for

but he is an andonis so he could make us better automaticaly so it will be a tough call
Our back 6 looked very settled and well drilled yesterday, I say we don't need him

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Our back 6 looked very settled and well drilled yesterday, I say we don't need him
Compare this year same round with no Rance, to our 2017 Premiership year

2019. 5th, 11 wins, 107.5%, 1458 for, 1356 against.
2017. 4th, 11 wins, 108.6%, 1458 for, 1343 against.

Remarkable similarity.

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
Compare this year same round with no Rance, to our 2017 Premiership year

2019. 5th, 11 wins, 107.5%, 1458 for, 1356 against.
2017. 4th, 11 wins, 108.6%, 1458 for, 1343 against.

Remarkable similarity.
lv1Hu1Z.gif

Back