Past Callum Sinclair - retired 2022

ZslCYQFE.jpg

Callum Sinclair

Player Profile

Callum Sinclair was traded from the West Coast Eagles to the Sydney Swans ahead of season 2016 and has since played vital roles as a key forward and ruckman. Over his first two seasons at the Swans he played primarily as a forward as Kurt Tippett and Sam Naismith carried the ruck load, but the retirement of Tippett and Naismith’s ACL rupture left him with the chief ruck duties in 2018 and 2019. That was until he dislocated his right shoulder twice in Round 15, an injury that ended his season. Sinclair banked a stellar 2020 pre-season campaign and has a burning desire to play every game at the top level this year. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (West Coast) No. 12; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (West Coast); 2015 AFL Draft traded by West Coast for Lewis Jetta.

Callum Sinclair

DOB: 23 September 1989
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Port Melb (VFL)/Subiaco (WAFL)/WCE

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
If he's surplus you can always send him back to us. :rolleyes: With Nic Nat being out injured for at least half of next year (if he ever comes back?) and Lycett being rumoured to leave at years end to move to either Port or the Saints, we could do with another ruckman!

I do wonder whether you’d target Darcy Cameron on our list. He has a year to go on his contract but he is WA boy.

Hope Naismith resigning isn’t an indication of that...

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
If he's surplus you can always send him back to us. :rolleyes: With Nic Nat being out injured for at least half of next year (if he ever comes back?) and Lycett being rumoured to leave at years end to move to either Port or the Saints, we could do with another ruckman!
We've been getting smashed in the hit outs and clearances the past few rounds, but I'd still prefer him every day (and twice on Sunday) to Naismith. I'd assume that the coaching staff aren't looking to swap them over either.

Sinclair for Gaff, who says no??

SouthSwans

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2005
Glen Iris, Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Liverpool, Celtics
1-hour exclusive interview with Sincas!

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=285823

I had the pleasure of interviewing the big Chief a few days ago.

We go ball-by-ball through Cal’s entire footy career starting with going to the G to watch North Melbourne games on Friday nights, then playing junior footy with Beaumaris, school footy with Caulfield Grammar and under 19s footy in the VAFA, then VFL footy with Port Melbourne, heading to Perth to play WAFL footy for Subiaco, getting drafted to West Coast and establishing himself at AFL level, then the move to the Swans and everything since.

His insight is awesome, have a listen if it’s up your alley.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
1-hour exclusive interview with Sincas!

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=285823

I had the pleasure of interviewing the big Chief a few days ago.

We go ball-by-ball through Cal’s entire footy career starting with going to the G to watch North Melbourne games on Friday nights, then playing junior footy with Beaumaris, school footy with Caulfield Grammar and under 19s footy in the VAFA, then VFL footy with Port Melbourne, heading to Perth to play WAFL footy for Subiaco, getting drafted to West Coast and establishing himself at AFL level, then the move to the Swans and everything since.

His insight is awesome, have a listen if it’s up your alley.
Mate thanks for that. Describing Sinkers as an absolute superstar is a bit of a stretch

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Would Naismith, Sinclair and Reid all fit into the same 22?

I would think so for 2019 personally.

With the new ruck rules re grabbing the ball and prior opportunity, I think the idea of playing an undersized ruck like Towers might be less popular.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Would Naismith, Sinclair and Reid all fit into the same 22?
You’d think Sinclair would hope so as he was a Trojan this year. Don’t leave Cameron out though, with 3 ruckman available, he will get more opportunities. He would’ve played more this year but they couldn’t afford to lose their ‘backup’ to Sinclair.

Can argue that he has been our most important player the last 2 years. We'd be a mess without him

Agreed.
But I can't help but think if Sinkers is your most important player, or nearly your most important player, then you're probably not contending.

I love how hard he works to become a better player and that he's very quickly become a true Bloods player. He seems to really adore the club and everyone around him appears to love him.
Think the love and respect for him at the club is well evidenced. Remembered at the 2017 Bob Skilton medal the speech preceding his best clubman award was a glowing appraisal of his attitude not only on the field but off field too in every aspect of the club's operation that he was involved in.

Still curious how we would look with Jetta right now. Footskills and speed and all that.

Used to be that everyone conceded Swans won the trade but Jetta came good and one has an extra Premiership medal so not so easy to measure anymore. He didn't want to be here in the end but was good in the role of delivering into the forward line with precision and taking the cheap ball out the back of the pack and usually productive with it. We tried to work on his defensive game but kind of went against his ability to attack. Was for the best for all in the end.

Still curious how we would look with Jetta right now. Footskills and speed and all that.
All other things being equal. We'd probably still be ordinary because the inside mids are still a problem, perhaps even moreso with Cameron as first ruck so Jets wouldn't have a whole lot of opportunity to use his speed I imagine.

Sinclair as #1 ruck

2018 team ranks
Hitouts for: 15th
Hitouts against: 1st

2019 team ranks
Hitouts against: 2nd

In the 33 games he has played in this time the Swans have won the hitout stat only seven times. In those games he beat Charlie Dixon, Jon Patton, Tim English x2, Tom Hickey, Matthew Lobbe and Toby Nankervis.

In terms of solely looking at the bounces and throw-ins, Sinkers is almost certainly the worst starting ruckman in the league.

Sinclair as #1 ruck

Hitouts against: 1st

Hitouts against: 2nd

In the 33 games he has played in this time the Swans have won the hitout stat only seven times. In those games he beat Charlie Dixon, Jon Patton, Tim English x2, Tom Hickey, Matthew Lobbe and Toby Nankervis.

In terms of solely looking at the bounces and throw-ins, Sinkers is almost certainly the worst starting ruckman in the league.

Thanks for that. The data confirms pretty much what we all know. If anything he has been worse this year. This is probably accentuated by our crap midfield.

Back