Past Callum Sinclair - retired 2022

ZslCYQFE.jpg

Callum Sinclair

Player Profile

Callum Sinclair was traded from the West Coast Eagles to the Sydney Swans ahead of season 2016 and has since played vital roles as a key forward and ruckman. Over his first two seasons at the Swans he played primarily as a forward as Kurt Tippett and Sam Naismith carried the ruck load, but the retirement of Tippett and Naismith’s ACL rupture left him with the chief ruck duties in 2018 and 2019. That was until he dislocated his right shoulder twice in Round 15, an injury that ended his season. Sinclair banked a stellar 2020 pre-season campaign and has a burning desire to play every game at the top level this year. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (West Coast) No. 12; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (West Coast); 2015 AFL Draft traded by West Coast for Lewis Jetta.

Callum Sinclair

DOB: 23 September 1989
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Port Melb (VFL)/Subiaco (WAFL)/WCE

Last edited:

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Sinclair as #1 ruck

2018 team ranks
Hitouts for: 15th
Hitouts against: 1st

2019 team ranks
Hitouts for: 15th
Hitouts against: 2nd

In the 33 games he has played in this time the Swans have won the hitout stat only seven times. In those games he beat Charlie Dixon, Jon Patton, Tim English x2, Tom Hickey, Matthew Lobbe and Toby Nankervis.

In terms of solely looking at the bounces and throw-ins, Sinkers is almost certainly the worst starting ruckman in the league.
Unfortunately for him, those are not good stats but in fairness to him...he's been shouldering a very heavy load!

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Still a win/win trade imo. Jetta was just “okay” in the PF and GF. Importantly kicked the goal to send us on our way in the qualifying final.
Credit where credit is due, we'd be even more stuffed if we didn't have Sinclair. He wasn't recruited as #1 ruck but he's been forced to carry that load and has tried his guts out and plugged that gap with his work around the ground and his second and third efforts. It's just that his ruck work is not great but he was only ever meant to be support.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Think the love and respect for him at the club is well evidenced. Remembered at the 2017 Bob Skilton medal the speech preceding his best clubman award was a glowing appraisal of his attitude not only on the field but off field too in every aspect of the club's operation that he was involved in.
Hope you don't mind the intrusion, but agree with all your comments regarding Sinker's tremendous attitude as he's all 'heart'. When he still played with us was more of a forward/ruck than the other way around, a bit like Vardy for us. Sometimes Clubs just have to make the most of what players they have at their disposal as players who are genuine rucks don't grow on trees! As much as we supporters were sorry at the time to lose him, the trade has worked out well for both parties as Jetta plays his role for us and is missed when out injured (or suspended!).

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
He's in a precarious position moving forward I think. if we bring in at least one more ruckman at season's end to compete with him and Naismith returns at some stage, he'll likely become more of a tall forward again. But then he has Franklin, Reid, McCartin and Blakey at least to contend with. It might be first ruck or nothing long term for Sinclair.

He's in a precarious position moving forward I think. if we bring in at least one more ruckman at season's end to compete with him and Naismith returns at some stage, he'll likely become more of a tall forward again. But then he has Franklin, Reid, McCartin and Blakey at least to contend with. It might be first ruck or nothing long term for Sinclair.

Agree with this. Sinkers is not a convincing forward. Do not think we need a lumbering fwd.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Agree with this. Sinkers is not a convincing forward. Do not think we need a lumbering fwd.

I don't mind Sinclair as a pure FF, like being stationed close to goal I think he can be quite dangerous. But if it came down to picking him and any of the other 4 we have currently, I'm picking him last.

Which is a shame because I love Sinclair and what he's brought to the club in terms of his real desire to improve and his seemingly excellent club-first mentality. I guess moving forward he might just have to be excellent depth as our lineup hopefully gets better the next few years. If we still have him as our number 1 ruck in round 1 next year, I'll be disappointed. We need to get another Mumford kind of recruit in. Archie Smith, Reilly O'Brien, Ivan Soldo, one of those guys would be my target.

Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
We were getting torched in clearances earlier in the year, probably still are, how much has this effected our overall scoring power this year?? Curious to know. Essentially we have one hand tied behind our backs at ball ups judging by sinkers stats that were posted.. No offense to big sincers, im seriously suprised he hasnt been injured the last 18 months because hes a tad unco.

I don't mind Sinclair as a pure FF, like being stationed close to goal I think he can be quite dangerous. But if it came down to picking him and any of the other 4 we have currently, I'm picking him last.

Which is a shame because I love Sinclair and what he's brought to the club in terms of his real desire to improve and his seemingly excellent club-first mentality. I guess moving forward he might just have to be excellent depth as our lineup hopefully gets better the next few years. If we still have him as our number 1 ruck in round 1 next year, I'll be disappointed. We need to get another Mumford kind of recruit in. Archie Smith, Reilly O'Brien, Ivan Soldo, one of those guys would be my target.

Agree with this. Doubt there is a more popular player at the Club nor one more respected for getting the best out of himself.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Murphy’s Law and injuries (should he not obtain one himself) would guarantee him a spot in the F50!

he's battled hard, expectations were low as he had been poor

i dont think hitouts alone measure his standing either

it certainly is a part of it, hes an honest toiler

but naismith isnt much better, overrated here, does nothing around the ground

Sinclair can kick a goal

ideally want neither as my number 1 ruck

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Hope you don't mind the intrusion, but agree with all your comments regarding Sinker's tremendous attitude as he's all 'heart'. When he still played with us was more of a forward/ruck than the other way around, a bit like Vardy for us. Sometimes Clubs just have to make the most of what players they have at their disposal as players who are genuine rucks don't grow on trees! As much as we supporters were sorry at the time to lose him, the trade has worked out well for both parties as Jetta plays his role for us and is missed when out injured (or suspended!).

I agree with this 100% so unfortunately for him it was poor when he missed a shot at goal in the last which could have had us up by 14 points early which could have gone a long way to us winning against the Pies. He can't be just not bad at either role otherwise he'll get pushed down the pecking order & my money is on the new fellow to become Pyke like & be the most resilient ruckman on our list, in turn grabbing the main ruck role.

I agree with this 100% so unfortunately for him it was poor when he missed a shot at goal in the last which could have had us up by 14 points early which could have gone a long way to us winning against the Pies. He can't be just not bad at either role otherwise he'll get pushed down the pecking order & my money is on the new fellow to become Pyke like & be the most resilient ruckman on our list, in turn grabbing the main ruck role.

Before he became our only realistic ruckman he had fallen way down the pecking order.
He had that one massive game where he kicked a bag playing predominantly forward.
Then Tippo retired, then Naismith got injured.

Nobody has ever questioned his endeavour. His execution & skills have almost universally been questioned.
By virtue of being last ruck standing, he is, and will have to be, our #1 ruck.

danz_danz

Debutant
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Feels like I've just read an eulogy. Maybe it's time for Darcy to build on his one match and help out an ol' mate?

jsher098

Debutant
Apr 17, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
That was one of the most confusingly ungraceful moments I've seen on a footy field. I still can't quite work out how the poor bugger managed to knock himself unconscious like that! Thought it was a nice touch to have an interview with him on the big screen after the game for him to tell the fans he was feeling fine.

Back