Past Callum Sinclair - retired 2022

ZslCYQFE.jpg

Callum Sinclair

Player Profile

Callum Sinclair was traded from the West Coast Eagles to the Sydney Swans ahead of season 2016 and has since played vital roles as a key forward and ruckman. Over his first two seasons at the Swans he played primarily as a forward as Kurt Tippett and Sam Naismith carried the ruck load, but the retirement of Tippett and Naismith’s ACL rupture left him with the chief ruck duties in 2018 and 2019. That was until he dislocated his right shoulder twice in Round 15, an injury that ended his season. Sinclair banked a stellar 2020 pre-season campaign and has a burning desire to play every game at the top level this year. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (West Coast) No. 12; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (West Coast); 2015 AFL Draft traded by West Coast for Lewis Jetta.

Callum Sinclair

DOB: 23 September 1989
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Port Melb (VFL)/Subiaco (WAFL)/WCE

Last edited:

bigharry01

Draftee
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Agreed. Although it's promising that while Grundy easily won the hitouts this week we still won the clearances.

A Lot of posters beat up on Callum. However go to AFL Tables and you will find after round 20 there are 20 ruckmen this year with 200 plus hitouts and he ranks as follows:
Kicks 1st
Goals 1st
Inside 50's 1st
Marks inside 50 2nd
1%ers 2nd
Total Marks 3rd
Contested poss 3rd
Contested Marks 4th
Total Disposals 5th
Tackles 5th
Uncontested poss 6th
Clearances 7th
Total Hitouts 8th

So I wonder when people bag him who they are comparing him to ?

Last edited:
A Lot of posters beat up on Callum. However go to AFL Tables and you will find after round 20 there are 20 ruckmen this year with 200 plus hitouts and he ranks as follows:
Kicks 1st
Goals 1st
Inside 50's 1st
Marks inside 50 2nd
1%ers 2nd
Total Marks 3rd
Contested poss 3rd
Contested Marks 4th
Total Disposals 5th
Tackles 5th
Uncontested poss 6th
Clearances 7th
Total Hitouts 8th

So I wonder when people bag him who they are comparing him to ?

Naismith might be ok for the first hand on the ball stuff but he is nowhere compared to Sinclair's value everywhere else. And the comparison on total hitouts is not a big differential anyway (see Naismith 2017 compared to Sinclair 2018), Sinclair smashes him in every stats category if you average his stats down to 15 games the same as Naismith played. (refer AFL tables)

Sinclair is actually a "footballer" and his field kicking to a target is elite. His kicking is not used enough. His goal kicking technique is really solid when he gets a shot as well. He should be target for a short kick himself as his kicks to a lead are first class. He may not win an elite level of hitouts against the top 3 but he cracks ok against the rest. And most of all he is capable of a day out inside 50. His value cannot be questioned Offensively, Defensively he is clearly up there and even in the middle in most games he more than holds his own.
Thank you for that, amazing that it takes a North fan to post some impressive stats for good old Sinkers!
All I can say to those that put him down is thank God he's here! We would have been up the proverbial creek without a paddle this season if that particular trade had never happened.

SouthSwans

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2005
Glen Iris, Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Liverpool, Celtics
Last edited:

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I bagged him last year and deservedly so, in my opinion.

I’ve had nothing but praise for him this year and deservedly so, in my opinion.

Whether he’s no.1 ruck or not, on this year’s form, he’s easily best 22! Out of the blocks this year and I’ll go one better than The King! and suggest he’ll go top 3 with a bloody good chance of taking home Bobby!

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Naismith to the ruck?

I think Sinclair likes being number 1 ruck, but disagree he could be the perm forward

I think Sinclair could be a good FF, but the trouble is he is currently also our best ruck who is fit.

I think Sinclair could be a good FF, but the trouble is he is currently also our best ruck who is fit.

He’s our best ruck imo full stop

A massive effort by Callum last night. In addition to taking 90% of the ruck contests he also was our number one inside fifty target, so in essence played first ruck and key forward in the one role.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I think McEvoy was the better of the two ruckmen, particularly in the 2nd half as the Hawks got on top at the stoppages, but Sinclair busted his arse as he always does and provided a very steady presence.

He's gotta be on the podium in the Skilton. Him, Heeney and Hewett/Lloyd/Parker (Franklin would be had he played a full year)

Very sad news for Callum today, with the club re-signing a ruckman who has never performed anywhere near as well as Callum has this year.

Where does this leave him in 2019? Do we play 2 ruckman, which has had a very poor recent history, does he play in a very tall forward line with Franklin, Reid, and McCartin, or is he shipped off to the NEAFL?

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Very sad news for Callum today, with the club re-signing a ruckman who has never performed anywhere near as well as Callum has this year.

Where does this leave him in 2019? Do we play 2 ruckman, which has had a very poor recent history, does he play in a very tall forward line with Franklin, Reid, and McCartin, or is he shipped off to the NEAFL?
If he's surplus you can always send him back to us. :rolleyes: With Nic Nat being out injured for at least half of next year (if he ever comes back?) and Lycett being rumoured to leave at years end to move to either Port or the Saints, we could do with another ruckman!

Back